Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Childhood memories

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

We alternated between real and artificial trees throughout my childhood. It depended on how festive my dad felt that year. I do remember absolutely loving to go pick a real tree.

As a child, did it matter to you if your tree was real?

Festive Spirit likes this.
  2. wstaple

wstaple Christmas Fan MMC Premiere Member

We always had a real tree. My dad and I would usually go to the same lot in town every year around December 10.

3. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Growing up a home we had a farm so we would go up back and cut ours and my mother and i collected greens for our wreath and other decor.

4. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

I can remember having a real tree when I was little and then my parents switched to an artificial tree when I was around 7. I missed the smell of the real year but the artificial tree meant it could stay up longer.

5. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

What a lovely memory!

6. Christmasplease

True!

7. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I never knew anything different than an artificial tree!! But you can bet I would start begging EARLY to get that tree out!! :) Of course mom would make me wait & that only made the anticipation more fun... looking back! That's probably part of the reason I like to put it up so early now!
    -tree-

8. Christmasplease

I’ve had both and I still put my artificial tree up first weekend in November!

sugarmuffin25 and Holiday like this.
  9. Christmasplease

I am determined to get a small real tree also this year

SnowflakeMom, irishsnow and Holiday like this.
  10. Holiday

I hope you do & post a pic! :)

11. Christmasplease

Ok, now I’m really gonna try!!!!!! :)

snowflake22 and Holiday like this.
  12. Holiday

:jump:tree::jump

13. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

We always had an artificial tree growing up. The first real tree I had was with my husband. He never put up a tree as an adult (I can't even imagine that), and I had left the majority of my Christmas decorations in a situation I needed to quickly get out of. So our first Christmas we went out to Lowes and bought a tree and some decorations. We were starting from scratch so it wasn't much, but it was special because we bought them together. Fast forward 14 or so years, we still get a live tree (but we chop one down at a farm) and last count I had 4 or 5 artificial trees that I put up as well! Let's just say our stock of Christmas decorations has grown immensely with no ending in sight!!

reindeerelf, Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  14. Christmasplease

Wow, that’s exciting!

Holiday and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  15. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

My family always got the real trees growing up, we live in Florida though so never got to cut our own down.. but we would go to the local garden store and pick one out! One year my old dog went with us, it was all great until he decided to pee on a tree... guess which one we had to take home? LOL! It got hosed off of course first. Then when my husband and I first moved into our own place we tried to set up a real tree in our home. Just as we were leaving to go to dinner the tree started to lean over! We grabbed the step ladder and my husband climbed up and held on to the top so I could adjust the base, but whoever cut the tree left a large branch so the screws wouldn't go in right, I didn't know what to do! We didn't want to get sappy water all over the floor so we ended up holding the tree up for like 15 minutes trying to figure out what to do, eventually we got sap everywhere Ha!!! Now we have a fake tree -santa dance-

16. Christmasplease

I always worry about my animals under the tree. When I removed the tree skirt last year, I noticed the white skirt had a spot of yellow!!

SnowDog and Holiday like this.
  17. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Yes my dog thinks the tree skirt is a wee-wee pad as well!

Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  18. Christmasplease

I’m thinking of getting one of the smaller flocked stress from QVC this year. I should have ordered it in July, I’m sure the price will be higher now.

Holiday and SnowflakeMom like this.
  19. irishsnow

irishsnow Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

We always had a real tree at home until i was a teenager then we got an artificial tree which was a really beautiful tree.
    Im tempted to get a real tree again for my house this year, I miss the smell of a real tree

Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  20. Sanity Clause

Sanity Clause Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

Our trees are always real and in my childhood we had a silver star at the top. We switched to a Santa Claus later.

Holiday likes this.