Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Childhood memories

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. alsage36

alsage36 Honorary Harlem Globetrotter Merry Forums Member

As a kid, I remember staying up late and laying on the couch with all the lights off, watching our tree change colors and cascading colors on the walls around it. Leaving out cookies for Santa and a small bowl of sugar for the reindeer. Waking up in the morning seeing the cookies gone and a nose imprint in the sugar bowl.

We've never had a real tree for Christmas. I'm thinking more and more about getting a real one, but it seems like more work from start to finish.

Christmasplease likes this.
  2. WintersElf

WintersElf Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

I loved when my mom would go and buy me nail polish and back then in the 70's they were small diamond shaped things.and i loved them.i always looked forward to seeing what kind she got me and roll on lip gloss in flavors like strawberry...and my teen magazines..I was tickled pink.and if thats all i got i was a happy kid..we were poor.but i never missed what i never had.

Holiday likes this.
  3. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

Wonderful memories! I remember a lot of the things you mentioned.

Holiday likes this.
  4. WintersElf

WintersElf Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

another fond memory was the paper dolls i would get..you got 2 paper dolls inside.i loved them.i would try to make my own but they always failed..and the color formed ones too.love them so much.

5. GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

my grandma on my mother's side had one of them aluminum Christmas trees. I didn't think much of it back then but I wish it was part of my decor now.

6. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

I cant manage a real tree anymore but I’ll definitely be adding some pine scent to my artificial one. :)

7. Lynn68

Lynn68 Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer

When I was very young, my father made Christmas very special for me and my siblings. I remember how exciting it was when it was time to decorate the tree. Dad would give us all one box of ornaments and we would hang them. He'd have Christmas music or a Christmas tv show (Donnie and Marie Christmas special, or the Williams brothers Christmas special, etc...) playing in the background. Mom would bring us homemade eggnog and she'd watch us decorate the tree and sing the songs playing. When the tree was completed, dad would encourage us to make a construction paper chain to hang on the fireplace mantle, and to draw Christmas pictures so he could hang them on the walls. For a little while longer we could stay up, then we were sent to bed after putting out milk and cookies for Santa. Dad passed away in 1981 when I was 12 years old, and as much as I love Christmas, it's never been the same.

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  8. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

I cant really remember any christmases with my parents growing up, they never made the tree a big event or anything but my grandmother was amazing. She always did things with us - took us to grottos etc.

Ive never had a real tree - I would love one but with 3 dogs I dont really want to risk it! I think a new tree is in order this year though as the base of my tree has broken and so it doesnt stand up properly.

Im sure I will figure out a way to keep it though - and then that means I will have 3 trees in the house!

Lynn68 likes this.
  9. Lynn68

Lynn68 Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer

My mother would always invite people over for Christmas if she knew they had nowhere to go or nobody to spend it with. She would always go out and buy the person a gift or two, so they had something to open as well. The first time, it was my friend. She was only 13 and her mother decided to spend Christmas with her boyfriend so she left my friend alone. When she woke up on Christmas morning, she was alone in the house with a note from her mother saying Merry Christmas. That was it, no presents or family. I called her to wish her a Merry Christmas and she told me what had happened. I told my mom and she immediately invited her over to celebrate with our family. The next person was years later. My brother's friend had just been through a divorce, and his children were with their mother. We knew ahead of time, so he was invited and we made sure he had one or two gifts to open. Mom was just this way, she hated the thought of anyone being alone on Christmas day.

10. Christmasplease

So lovely!

He_Is_Born, Skippy1707 and Lynn68 like this.
  11. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member

I always put a flat trash bag or plastic under the tree skirt and stand so I can slide the tree around the livingroom. I also use it as preventative maintenance just in case my cat wants to pee on the tree skirt. I have not had a problem with this idea for the last 10-12 years I had my cat.

12. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member

We had a live tree until my parents decided to have an artificial tree. When I married my husband, we had a live tree for all 20 years except 3 of them. I love the smell of a freshly cut Douglas Fur tree in the house. And I appreciate my vacuum when all the pine needles drop the first of January.

13. KimB

KimB Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I wrote an account that came to memory a few months ago.

The Daughter

One chilly day in late November a woman in her early 50s was dropped off near the woods in a small town in upstate NY. She had an unruly teenage daughter with her who was more interested in learning how to drive than on the mission that was so important to the woman. The woman was strong and muscular. She was carrying a saw and a large rope. The teen was distracted by various things such as throwing snowballs and watching birds and other wildlife trying to escape the frigidity of an early Winter. After what seemed like days but was probably closer to 30 minutes, the woman said, “that’s it.” Without hesitation she told the sullen teen to stand back as she sawed through the thick trunk of the pine tree. She knew just how to make it fall in the direction she wanted, then quickly tied it up and started her trek to drag it out of the woods. The man who dropped her off was waiting in the car, smoking a cigarette and listening to the radio. The woman hoisted the tree on top of the car and tied it down with no help from the man or the daughter. The daughter, not yet old enough to drive, was invited to take the wheel for the 15- minute ride home. At that moment, it was the highlight of her day.
    Now, 50 years later, long after the others have died, the daughter appreciates the woman in a way most cannot understand. I am that daughter.

14. Mystikkal_one

Mystikkal_one Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

I was an only child and the youngest in the family of all the cousins, by like 10 years or so.. we would always go to my uncles. we would all meet there on Christmas eve, We celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve, Christmas day was our day to just play around with our stuff, my mom would always have the family come over for Christmas day dinner. So I have always LOVED Christmas, this year I look at it now, and its just me and my parents and my daughter who just turned 13.. I lost my Aunt 2 years ago unexpectedly, and my Uncle 2 months after her unexpectedly

When my daughter came along I have kept those traditions, we usually watch Christmas movies, and then after that its officially full on Christmas mode around here. I was proud of my daughter when she came home and showed me that she got an A on a report because they had to write a report on what the felt Christmas was like back in the day when their parents were kids. She remembered everything I told her and show her ever year.

He_Is_Born, KimB and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  15. Dudley

Dudley Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

My Dad would read us the story "Paddy O-Cinnamon and the Silver Star". He would read us a chapter a night ending on Christmas Eve.

This is a story that was a radio broadcast in the 40s. My Dad remembered the story the best he could and wrote it up for himself. Later when we were older and had kids he took the story (again the best he could from memory), professionally type set it, did illustrations and had it bound giving each of us a copy.

Many years after that, thanks to the Internet, I found the original radio broadcast and was able to give it to him before he passed.

Since then I found there is children's book that came out in the 60's. To this day I still have the book he "published", the book from the 60's and the original radio recording.

He_Is_Born and KimB like this.
  16. KimB

KimB Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Dudley, that’s a beautiful memory.

Dudley and He_Is_Born like this.