Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Christmas Creep?

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Christmasplease, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

Who has heard of the “Christmas Creep” in stores?

What’s YOUR opinion?

Holiday and Minta like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

I don't mind seeing the Christmas decorations up for sale in the stores once Sept hits (with the exception of craft stores - wish they had it year round lol) . A lot of people live pay check to pay check to it makes it easier to spread out purchasing over a longer period of time. The local grocery store is decorated for Halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas. I wish they held off on decorating the store for Christmas until after Halloween (these are not decorations they are selling)

Holiday and SnowflakeMom like this.
  3. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I love Christmas creep! :) Love walking into Ben Franklin in July & seeing bits of Christmas!!!

Mimi and Minta like this.
  4. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

It should start slowly but surely come Sept. 1.

5. 'Tis the season

'Tis the season Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Honestly I think a lot of it is just fake outrage. People always complain when the Christmas items start appearing, but they've always appeared after back to school promos end. I'd like some held back to after Halloween personally but for a lot of stores Halloween simply doesn't generate much additional income.

6. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I love the gradual build of Christmas in the stores. Here it starts gradually in September. I don't see anything wrong with this at all. There is always the option to not partake in it if you prefer to leave your shopping later. For some it's useful to spread the cost over a couple months and have the convenience of browsing for ideas. With long working hours and British weather, it helps to plan ahead too! The other thing a lot of people don't get is that stores have to be organised ahead because as the season gets busier, it would be impossible for staff to keep up if they had everything to do all at once!!!

If you think about it, the summer stock always starts creeping in from Feb or so and Autumn/Winter starts in end of July/Aug so the stock always comes in prior to the actual season!

Ornamentmaven likes this.
  7. Christmasplease

Wow Festive, that is so logical. I just love it because I love Christmas, but you’re right. The staff get so busy as the falls rolls in. I know our Canadian Tire stores here start really early. But that is because they put up a number of beautifully decorated trees and various other lovely decorations and lawn displays. It takes quite a few staff to do it.
    Sorry but even if it didn’t I’d still want everything put up early.

8. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

No need to be sorry!

9. Christmasplease

+f

10. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I don't understand why people always complain that the Christmas inventory gets put out earlier and earlier every year! It' just not true. Yes it goes up early - but not earlier and earlier every year! I like to spread out my Christmas expenditures, as well as planning ahead for my decorating scheme - so the earlier the better for me!

Christmasplease likes this.
  11. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Nothing else to complain about?

12. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I welcome the Christmas creep in January. :)

13. Christmasplease

Wow, me too!!!

14. Christmasplease

Is October considered part of “Christmas Creep”?

15. Art the Bookworm

Art the Bookworm Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I think so. I have several friends and relatives who get angry whenever they see Christmas stuff in stores, or see me post about it on social media before they think I should. They don't want to see a hint or sign of Christmas anywhere until after Thanksgiving.

The other day my son and I went to Walmart to look at the Christmas stuff they have up, and this lady and her boyfriend came back there, and she pretty much complained the whole time she was there about how it was too early, and she wasn't ready for it, etc. I thought it was weird because nobody forced her to come back there, as far as I could tell. Our Walmart has their Christmas section in the back off to the side... The only way you would go through it is if you made the choice to do it. It's not like it was right in the middle of the store, LOL!

16. Sky303

Sky303 Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member

Christmas creep is always funny to me, I've seen stores with Halloween stuff in August, I've been able to buy Valentine's Day stuff in December, and I've summer stuff for sale in like March. Never seen anyone complain about that though. I love seeing Christmas stuff early , it makes me excited!

17. Art the Bookworm

Art the Bookworm Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Yes exactly!!!

Christmasplease and Sky303 like this.
  18. Christmasplease

I hear u!!

19. Nash

Nash Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I think some people are not happy unless they have something to moan about , lets face it its not just Christmas that has a "Creep" its every holiday of festival that has a certain amount of retail importance wether its Christmas , or Halloween , Or Bonfire night (UK) Easter, Valentines etc etc , Shops want us spending our hard earned money as soon as they can and as in previous posts I to think its a good thing as people can spread cost of buying things over a longer period ...So I would say to the moaners and the groaners You do things your way and others will do it their way , neither is right or wrong just let people do things in the way THEY choose

20. Kristian Jennings

Kristian Jennings Christmas Saint Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I'm that type of person who always looks at Christmas stuff whether in spring, summer, or fall. People just need to be themselves. Let them enjoy their life :)