Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Hot Topic Christmas Future: The Christmas Tree

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jeff Westover, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Card Exchanger Santa's Elf

This month we'll be exploring some thoughts about Christmas in the future. I'd like to start with the Christmas tree.

Here is what a Christmas tree looked like a little more than 100 years ago:

[​IMG]

Much is the same and much is different.

Modern electronics have changed the typical tree. Certainly the fact we have artificial trees and tree farms that have made trees look more uniform than the trees used back in the day.

The changes could be considered subtle but they are changes none the less.

How might a Christmas tree 100 years from now look different?

2. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Artificial trees would be totally fiber optic... no need to string lights and less light outages than pre-lit trees.

3. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Card Exchanger Santa's Elf

I've seen fiber optic trees before and if they don't over-do them I think they are cool. Most I have seen are too garish, I think.

But I feel wireless lights will be a definite trend in the future of Christmas trees.

4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

If they don't exist already, there will almost certainly be app-operated "smart" tree lights in the future, to complement "smart" light bulbs that already exist.

5. xmas365

xmas365 Wants to build the second castle on the left MMC Lifer

The Pixl lights will be a big thing in a few years once the price comes down, 100 years from now I don't know, the posibilities should be limitless. Maybe hologram trees?

6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

I'm so old-fashioned ... I can't help hoping that, in 100 years' time, one will still be able to get a real Christmas tree that one can hang real decorations on.

7. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

When contemplating the future, most people are of two schools of thought... 1) A Jetson's like utopia where everything is automated and 2) A dystopian scorched Earth future (like in Planet of the Apes) where mankind is back to the stone age... the truth is things stay pretty much the same and tend to get dog eared and run down by small degrees... only our perceptions and social morals change... so, there will probably still be folks who like "traditional" live trees and there will always be those who prefer the new shiny thing... like a Christmas tree phone app... white aluminum trees were once all the rage, now they're considered "quaint"... people tend to gravitate to what works. Real trees will never be out of vogue, I believe... unless we kill all the trees, but then we'll have far bigger problems to worry about.

8. caninemomssister

caninemomssister Chestnut Roaster MMC Lifer

The tree I loved as a child still exists as my tree today. I feel traditions will keep trees as we have loved them with some changes to keep up with the times.

xmas365 likes this.
  9. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

Fiber optics are easy to do, even at home. $50.00 and a 1 month wait from a Chinese company I deal with and you can homebrew your own tree lights. I think in the future the holo tree will probably reign as king.

10. Petronius

Petronius Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

Some people may want an artificial Christmas tree without strands of lights. They can put their own light strands on.