Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Christmas or Xmas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by irishsnow, Oct 10, 2015.

1. irishsnow

irishsnow Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Which do you use??

Personally I hate using the word Xmas!!

2. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Christmas or Xmas....I Love to use Christmas! Sounds lovely, and brings peace and joy to my heart and soul....I have nothing really against the use of Xmas, I think it's more or less a short-cut in saying Christmas.... Now-a-days, if I hear the word Xmas.....I immediately of our buddy Xmas here....

MsRose, irishsnow and snowflake22 like this.
  3. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

They are the same word, pronounced exactly the same.

4. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Same to me. To abbreviate I use XMAS but usually Christmas.

5. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Channelling my college Bible classes, I would like to add that the X in Xmas is actually the Greek abbreviation for Christ. So originally Xmas and Christmas were the same. However, that doesn't mean that is the intent of modern useage of Xmas.

Either way, I prefer Christmas but I'm not put off by the use of Xmas unless it's in the context that makes it clear that the user is intent on stripping any mention of Christ from the holiday.

6. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I like both its all the same to me:D

7. mommytotwo

mommytotwo Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Same as prancer.

HollyJolly, MsRose and irishsnow like this.
  8. FrostyKnowsBest

FrostyKnowsBest Reindeer Rocketeer MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I'm good with either, I've noticed as far as my Christmas record collection goes, a lot of the edgier compilations tend to steer towards xmas for some reason.

9. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Because of my Christian walk I can only write Christmas. I will not use the other.

MsRose and irishsnow like this.
  10. MsRose

MsRose Christmas Card Fanatic MMC Donor Merry Forums Member

I like both,if I am writing something formal i use Christmas,if I am:) texting /email i say Xmas.

irishsnow, HollyJolly and snowflake22 like this.
  11. Contented

Contented Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I always say Christmas.Because I am exercising my freedom and right to do so_Others can say what they want and it doesn't bother me.

irishsnow likes this.
  12. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

"Xmas" comes in handy for all the MMC alphabet-themed games!

irishsnow and HollyJolly like this.
  13. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

That is what I was going to say when I saw this - I use to not like to use Xmas until I learned that X=Christ & now it seems ok! I usually do type out Christmas....but once in awhile, Xmas it is! (always a capital X) ;)

irishsnow and e_xander like this.
  14. e_xander

e_xander Executive Producer, Tracking Santa MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Same with me, Holiday. I've learned a lot from the forums and My Merry Christmas sites that have altered my thoughts about Christmas which I feel is all for the better. I'm still learning things and I love it.

irishsnow likes this.
  15. ChristmasFanatic2

ChristmasFanatic2 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member Christmas Talk Alum

I usually use, Christmas, but knowing that Xmas isn't a slight, I can use either.

irishsnow and e_xander like this.
  16. HollyKing

HollyKing Merry Monarch of Yuletide MMC Premiere Member

Christmas, unless I'm in an all-fired hurry.

irishsnow likes this.
  17. ChetLacusky

ChetLacusky Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

In general, i will use the Christmas.

irishsnow likes this.
  18. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

I just can't wait till people are saying Merry Christmas and Xmas cause it'll be the holiday season!

HollyJolly and e_xander like this.
  19. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

I use Christmas.

20. Christmas Tinsel

Christmas Tinsel Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

I use Christmas, I've never used Xmas