Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Christmas Stocking

Discussion in 'Christmas Talk' started by novelist, Oct 10, 2018.

1. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

When do you open what is in your Christmas stocking? My husband and I save our stocking for later in the day, after my step sons have gone home. It give us something to look forward to.

2. Contented

Contented Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

My husband and I open our stockings up on Christmas morning.

Holiday likes this.
  3. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

My son and i do our dogs stockings first then we do ours christmas morning.

Holiday likes this.
  4. tbutler

tbutler Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Christmas morning- stockings, breakfast, then gifts.

Holiday likes this.
  5. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

We do our stockings after we have opened gifts on Christmas morning.

Holiday likes this.
  6. leah

leah Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Growing up, my little sister and I would always wake up long before our parents deemed acceptable, haha, and the only thing they said we were allowed to touch before they let us wake them up were our stockings. So when I was younger, it was always the very first thing opened, usually a couple hours before we opened any presents.

Now, they're usually the last thing I look at when I go to my parents, and a lot of the time I forget about it. My husband and I have only had one Christmas at our house, and we don't have kids yet, so we don't really put anything in them, they're just for decoration (although I did put dog treats in the one I made for our pup ;)). I can't wait until we eventually have a family and Christmas gets more fun!

JollyHeather and Holiday like this.
  7. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

My husband and I do all of our gifts on Christmas Eve. We first open up the one present from a Christmas Elf, which is new pajamas for both of us, and after we change into them we do the stocking for the cats first (one stocking; five furry felines) and then we do ours. It takes awhile to do ours because we each put many scratch off lottery tickets in the other's stocking and we scratch off all of them before we proceed. After stockings, we move on to the big gifts!

JollyHeather and Holiday like this.
  8. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Our stockings are generally more for St. Nick on Dec 5th...the Eve of St. Nicholas Day. At my parents, St. Nick always came on the 5th after supper - kind of like Christmas Eve I guess! I normally put something in my hubby & dogs stocking from St. Nick - But if I want something in mine, I have to put it in there myself! :rolleyes:

Sometimes I will have something in their stockings for Christmas morning.

9. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger

Stockings after gifts are opened

Holiday likes this.
  10. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

We don't give the kids Christmas stockings. We wrap their presents December 24th and leave them under the tree. Sometimes they get up on their own and open presents and sometimes we do this as a family. They are older now and the choice is theirs.

Holiday likes this.
  11. JollyHeather

JollyHeather Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum

Sounds like you have Dutch roots! Here in the Netherlands a stocking is not really a thing. My family has a big Sint Nicolaas gathering on the 5th (or around) off December. I took up my mums tradition to put something for everybody under her tree.

Holiday likes this.
  12. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

We live in a predominately Dutch/German area. We don't call the men around here "Stubborn Dutchman" for nothing! ;) :D :p (especially the older generation)

JollyHeather likes this.
  13. iamkml

iamkml Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

Hi! As a kid we always ran downstairs Christmas morning to see what Santa brought us, which was a stocking, and a toy or two. Like leah, we weren't allowed to wake the folks til a respectable hour, though. As an adult, my DH and I exchanged stockings, which we opened on Christmas morning before the gifts. Sometimes I would fill my own, though.

14. JollyHeather

JollyHeather Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum

No idea why they say that!-smile-
    LOL

15. MelissaV

MelissaV Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

That's such a great idea! My husband and I usually do it in the morning along with everything else, but now I'm thinking this year we might save it for the evening!

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  16. Nash

Nash Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Dont know about everyone else on here thats dotted around the globe but here in UK in my opinion the stocking is taking somewhat of a back seat to the newish kid on the block "The Christmas Eve Box " , initially we did it for Lily (4 1/2 ) but now we all have one with various little gifts (Choc, Christmas Pyjamas, Christmas DVD, etc) which I must admit I do really like as I think I enjoy Christmas eve just as much as I do the "Big Day " itself

'Tis the season and Contented like this.
  17. GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Christmas morning, takes me a couple hours. Because. Big.

Attached Files:

Contented likes this.
  18. Contented

Contented Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

That is so cute.Wonder who would claim the big stocking around here?

19. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

We open them after Christmas coffee & breakfast, before gifts.

Love hearing everyone’s traditions.
    Great thread ♥️

JollyHeather likes this.
  20. Peanuts

Peanuts Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

For us it depends where we are. At our home and well as my parents, stockings usually come after all other presents are opened. However, stockings are usually opened first at my in-laws.