Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Controlling Christmas Spending

Discussion in 'Home & Family' started by Christmasplease, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

Hi all, I find that every Christmas I go way above my budget. I know that shopping early helps me not get overwhelmed, but.....it may be contributing to my insane Christmas bill. It’s such a happy time of year for me, no matter the circumstances, so I go above and beyond.

What do you all do to help you stay within your Christmas budget?

DecemberisComing, Contented and Minta like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

We set a budget per person and try to stay as close to it as possible. I also shop year round looking for the perfect gift and the best price possible, if I am lucky I will find gifts on clearance. We also put money onto a Christmas club every year and get the check in Oct. Having cash helps t stay with in the budget more. Some years we are under budget, some years we are over budget LOL

DecemberisComing and Contented like this.
  3. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

What is a “Christmas Club”?

DecemberisComing and Contented like this.
  4. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

As i shop around starting in spring till usually end of October as i go to flea markets and many other places so i find great gifts at great prices and i also make my own gift baskets for family and friends.I usually stay within budget sometimes i go over by a little but,that's okay.

5. Contented

Contented Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Yes,I do have a budget in mind and most of the time I stay within it.But sometimes I go alittle over it and that's ok too.

6. Contented

Also this year I am going to try Ebates and get money back on what I spend at certain stores.

7. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

The concept is that bank customers deposit a set amount of money each week into a special savings account, and receive the money back at the end of the year for Christmas shopping.

8. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I had a Christmas club 1 year and that kept my Christmas budget in check. Other then that, we allot a certain amount of money each year and do not go over that amount. Since my children are older, I purchase 90% of the Christmas gifts on Black Friday online. That saves ALOT of money and I can go Black Friday shopping in the morning to pick up what I missed online.

If your bank or financial institution does not offer a Christmas club, you can open a savings account and deposit a set amount of money in to the account. Then you can withdraw the money in October or November and start Christmas shopping then.

9. Christmasplease

Let me know what you think of Ebates.

DecemberisComing likes this.
  10. Christmasplease

Oh, cool!

11. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Some banks have a special yearly accounts with coupons books that are used when you put money into it and come oct they close the account and mail you a check for the money you put into. You can pay into weekly, monthly or how ever it fits your needs. We do one for $25 a week.

12. Contented

Have you tried it before?

13. Christmasplease

I don’t know if we have that here.

14. Christmasplease

No, I haven’t.

15. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I tend to go over budget every year. I start shopping in June, but seem to buy even more when I get caught up in the season. But it's ok. I love to give presents. My bank used to have a Christmas Club too, and I loved it. But they stopped doing it. The great thing about it versus a regular savings account is that once you put the money in the Christmas Club, it could not be withdrawn. I have a savings account set aside and I try and deposit money for Christmas in there, but I tend to "borrow" from it when I need to. I especially go over budget on all of my nieces or nephews because we don't have kids of our own. But, I figure they are only young once and it is so much fun to buy them stuff!!

Christmasplease likes this.
  16. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I dont set a budget...I give my kids whatever they want as when i was i kid my parents didnt have a lot of money so i make sure my kids have the best christmasses ever..They are not kids for long so you want to spoil them and have the best magical christmasses to remember.

17. KimB

KimB Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

I'm a CPA but have never had a budget for Christmas or anything else, for that matter. My only self-imposed rule is that if I can't pay for it with cash, I can't afford it. The only two exceptions were my home and my interest-free car loan. I'm not rich but I don't have kids so my money goes further than it would if I had a family. I wish I did have a family. I spent hours each year looking at my cousins' families on Facebook. Once I sent one cousin who home schools her kids a laptop for Christmas. She was so excited she took about 100 pictures of each kid holding it and using it. It was so worth the splurge to see the delight on those kids' faces.

18. wstaple

wstaple Mistletoe Hanger MMC Premiere Member

This is really old fashioned, but I set up a Christmas Club account at my credit union when I was 22 and I’ve had one ever since. I usually increase the amount that goes in every paycheck once a year, trying to keep up with new sons-in-laws and grandkids. -smile-

sugarmuffin25 and KimB like this.
  19. KimB

KimB Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

My first job was a bank teller and we opened tons of Christmas club accounts. I had one myself. It was exciting to get “paid” and be able to start buying presents.

sugarmuffin25 and Dudley like this.
  20. Dudley

Dudley Santa's Sleigh Designer Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

My 3rd quarter bonus check is issued on October 30th. We use that as a "savings" for our Christmas desires.