Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Cooking through the seasons!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SnowDog, Aug 15, 2018.

1. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

This weekend I worked on our Fall and Winter menus!!! Since college I got into the habit of making a menu for each season and cooking those meals until the next season; I didn't have much time, limited cooking skills, and I had to shop what was in season to fit my budget lol! I love finding recipes that remind me of the holidays and child hood memories :) . This fall i'm making Autumn stuffed acorn squash, slow cooker garlic brown sugar chicken, wild rice, and sweet potatoes and my MILs famous bacon wrapped meatloaf! For winter i'll be making warm chili, loaded baked potatoes, chicken pot pies, and hot zuppa toscana! I can't wait!!! What are some of your favorite seasonal recipes? +h

SnowflakeMom, Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Sounds delicious!
    That's great that you come up with a plan for cooking for the seasons!!
    We always fly by the seat of our pants! My hubby works pretty late a lot so sometimes we eat supper & sometimes we just snack! BUT some of my favorite comfort foods are Creamy Italian Chicken w/ mashed potatoes, Pot Roast, Broccoli chicken with baked potatoes, Pot Au Feu (my Dads specialty,) & Chicken & Gravy with mashed potatoes. Also for soup - Cheeseburger Soup!
    In the summer (or in the winter) - can't beat Ribeye on the grill! :)

snowflake22, SnowflakeMom and SnowDog like this.
  3. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

Cheeseburger soup?! That sounds amazing !!!!

4. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

One of my favourite things about fall and winter is the food! During those months I love comfort food and cosy meal times. Beef Goulash, Country Chicken casserole, chilli, beef in ale stew and root vegetable soups with homemade bread are just a few. I try out different dishes using seasonal vegetables like butternut squash, pumpkin, wild mushrooms, sweet potato, various nuts like walnuts, pecans. Compared to summer where we tend to have lots of grilled/BBQ, salads, paella, thai curry, fish and chips and lighter dishes. They are no set rules in our house though, we have BBQ in winter and sometimes a stew with mash in the summer. I love food and big family dinners!

snowflake22, Holiday and SnowDog like this.
  5. Holiday

Oh .... homemade bread!!!! I need to make some of that again soon. YUM!!!!

6. Holiday

Here's the recipe. You can make it as spicy (or non-spicy) as you would like! :)

Cheeseburger Soup

1 1/2 cups water
    2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
    2 carrots, grated
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
    1 pound ground beef
    2 1/2 cups milk, divided
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 pound processed American cheese, cubed
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    DIRECTIONS:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Sprinkle salt and bouillon over the mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain.

Stir cooked beef and 2 cups milk into the soup and heat through. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk with flour, stirring until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until melted. Season with cayenne.

Vail, SnowDog and snowflake22 like this.
  7. Holiday

I may have just talked myself into making cheeseburger soup for supper tonight!! :p

sugarmuffin25 and SnowDog like this.
  8. GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

drizzle everything you eat with a bit of eggnog