Covid19 cheer

usafvet

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Lifer
Dec 28, 2006
Central Texas
So the HOA in our neighborhood approved us to display minimal Christmas decorations during this time of quarantine as a way to cheer people up. We’ve had this displayed for the past month and have had many people thank us for spreading some cheer.

Hope this cheers everyone up during this difficult time. Hang in there, for better days are still to come.

Attachments

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Very nice to see a thread devoted to cheer in difficult times, rather than rising infection rates and death tolls.

I left a tree with white lights up in the TV room after the holidays ... it's sort of symbolic that the lights haven't entirely gone out. We spend the evenings (after working from home) watching fun or interesting videos. Right now we're in the midst of the goofy old sitcom "McHale's Navy."

ponytramp

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Member
Sep 21, 2019
new england
I agree. Thank you for an optimistic thread. :)

I put up a tree with white lights on my front porch. I don't know if anyone else has lights up because I have not been out at night. Actually come to think of it I think a house down the street might have lights up. When I was out walking I went by their house and even during the day I saw some lights.

I'm debating whether or not to put some icicle lights up.
:lightman

DecemberisComing

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I love your display, usafvet!

Glad to see some cheer. I see the hearts in the windows, but I haven't been out at night either. I bought some lights after Christmas, white C7s, maybe I will put them up on the front porch.

Contented

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 3, 2015
N.C.
What a wonderful idea.In our area businesses are using blue lights to honor heroes in the health care profession.I think I'll put my candles in the windows with blue bulbs.

DecemberisComing

MMC Member
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Tomorrow night our high school is joining other high schools around the state by turning on the lights in the football stadium to honor healthcare workers.

ponytramp

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Member
Sep 21, 2019
new england
This is really nice :

Daffodils will be placed at the Boston Hope field hospital at the Boston Convention and Exposition Center, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center, Newton Wellesley Hospital, and other participating hospitals.

“Thousands of pots of daffodils will be placed outside hospitals throughout the Boston area to show our gratitude and support for our frontline medical workers who have courageously been working to save lives and keep Boston Strong.” says Diane Valle, organizer of Marathon Daffodils.

DecemberisComing

MMC Member
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
This is really nice :

Daffodils will be placed at the Boston Hope field hospital at the Boston Convention and Exposition Center, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center, Newton Wellesley Hospital, and other participating hospitals.

“Thousands of pots of daffodils will be placed outside hospitals throughout the Boston area to show our gratitude and support for our frontline medical workers who have courageously been working to save lives and keep Boston Strong.” says Diane Valle, organizer of Marathon Daffodils.
COVID Cheer indeed! I am so amazed by all of the beautiful ways people are expressing their appreciation.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
It's nice to come here to get away from the endlessly rising numbers in the news!

Anybody want to recommend some stay-at-home TV or movies? I've mentioned in other threads that we're getting some laughs out of silly old "McHale's Navy" from the 1960s. I haven't seen them since I was a tot! Now, as an adult, I can appreciate how great the cast members were at playing comedy.

DecemberisComing

MMC Member
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I don't know if they are available on any streaming, but I watched some highlights from the Carol Burnett show on Youtube. I remember my dad would laugh so hard at Harvey Korman trying not to laugh at Tim Conway! After that I tried to find re-runs of Mama's Family but no luck yet.

Reactions: sugar142286

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
I sent out 3 sets of Christmas cards to all the people listed on the 2019 Christmas Card exchange in the United States. I pray everyone in the US received them.
What a generous thing to do!

Reactions: ponytramp

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Here in our area, we're asked to put our house light on, Christmas lights on our house, whatever lights we would like, and at least turn them on every Tuesday at 8 and stand outside, clap and cheer. Our city fire department, is driving around the hospital here, light and siren, every Tuesday at 8 as well, until further notice.

The hospital I work at, has been receiving a lot of meals, sometimes daily, from local businesses, which is so greatly appreciated. When we sometimes have difficulty getting breaks, finger food and food that we can eat on the run or food that we normally wouldn’t get to eat at work, is so nice to have.

@MerryCarey I don’t have movies to really suggest, but as far as music goes, do you have SiriusXM? If not, I know they’ve been doing free music because of the virus. They have a station called Stay at Home Radio, which is channel 179. You could play it on your laptop, Alexa, Google Home, phone - whatever device you have. It’s music from the 60s to today. I’ve really been enjoying it.

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
I like the idea of the lights.

That's great that meals are being sent to the hospital.

Thank you for all that you do!

::wave
Thanks, ponytramp!

Reactions: ponytramp