Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2016
    Good morning everyone. I decided to start a thread. We have so many awesome ones that different people have started dedicated to specific things/holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Autumn, Football, Weather, Food, etc.) but this thread I wanted to create would kind of take in all different things into it. Each day I will try to give you either a few pictures, stories, information, news, polls, random thoughts, etc. usually pertaining to the time of year we're in. With it being OCTOBER (one of my favorite months of the year) I plan on posting Halloween related things the next 31 days, for the most part. I wanted to start it off with the news that we may see a NEW Michael Myers Halloween Film in 2017. This is so exciting to me and many Halloween fans. The 1st one came out the year I was born (1978). I grew up watching the early Halloweens through the 80s. They were always very magical to me. They scared me but I got so excited every time I was going to watch one. Mr. Carpenter may return to help with the directing of this film. There is no doubt he could help out with this series that in recent films, in my opinion, lacked the creepy/old-school scary feel that Michael Myers always gave to us. I'm hopeful about this new film and look forward to getting/giving more news over the course of the next year on it. I hope that next year at this time we're getting to watch the new film. Hopefully it won't get pushed back.
    Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Saturday! Feel free to share anything you want in this thread, by the way...it's not my thread. I just am going to post each day in it different stuff as I mentioned above but I'm more than happy to have anyone who wants to contribute anything to it.

Solice, Merry Matt, MsRose and 4 others like this.
  2. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Member

It seems like Halloween and Elm Street have been around forever and ever. It always seems to be a trend for the franchises to get worse as they continue to make em, some are the exception though.

caninemomssister and Edge612 like this.
  3. Edge612

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2016
    Good morning everyone. Hope this first October weekend is treating you well. For today's post I wanted to give you a picture from one of my favorite scenes in any Halloween show/movie/cartoon. It is from Garfield. The "old man" who tells Garfield and Odie "They know who we are" as he's waiting for the ghosts to arrive from 100 years ago. Creepy for a cartoon...and my brother always grew up being a Garfield fan and as we became adults this became one of our favorite Halloween traditional shows to watch. Have a great Sunday!
    GARFIELD.jpg

4. Edge612

MONDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2016
    Good morning everyone. Happy Monday (yes there is such a thing). For today I wanted to give you the top 10 most popular Halloween costumes predicted for this year for both adults and kids. Quite an interesting mixture on this list.

2016 MOST POPULAR HALLOWEEN COSTUMES

ADULTS 18-34-YEARS-OLD

Batman Character (Batman, Harley Quinn, The Joker, etc.)
    Witch
    Animal (Cat, Dog, Bunny, etc.)
    Tie: Marvel Superhero (Deadpool, Spiderman, etc.) AND DC Superhero (Wonder Woman, Superman, excl. Batman)
    Vampire
    Video Game Character
    Slasher Movie Villain (Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, etc.)
    Pirate
    Star Wars Character
    Zombie

CHILDREN’S COSTUMES

Action/Superhero
    Princess
    Animal (Cat, Dog, Lion, Monkey, etc.)
    Batman Character
    Star Wars Character
    Tie: Witch AND DC Superhero (excl. Batman)
    Frozen Character (Anna, Elsa, Olaf)
    Marvel Superhero (excl. Spiderman)
    Zombie
    Spiderman

Interesting that Batman is listed on both the Adult and Children's list. Also found it interesting that Animal is on both lists. If I dress up as Rollins...I wonder if he'll let me dress him up too?

Have a great day everyone!

caninemomssister and Holiday like this.
  5. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I love your thread Edge. I look forward to following your updates. I am already excited by your news about the new movie!

Garfield is a childhood favourite of mine too.

As for the costumes, that list is pretty spot on! Will you be dressing up :D

I have my witches hat ready!

6. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I think that is a GREAT idea. You dress up as Rollins & Rollins dresses up as you! :D :p
    Happy Monday!

7. Edge612

Thanks Festive! I am going to try to come up with different types of ideas throughout the year...since we have so many great threads on the forums where they are centered around one specific thing. But this being October and being a Halloween fanatic such as yourself most of the daily updates will center around Halloween type things.

I don't dress up...the last time I did I was like 18 lol. Nothing against it but in terms of costumes I'm more of a fan of observing the kids dress up. You excited for Halloween??? I know such an obvious question!

caninemomssister likes this.
  8. Edge612

Might confuse him! Happy Monday!

caninemomssister likes this.
  9. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

I never dress up either..I love seeing all the kids in costumes.

10. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Member

The MAN the legend!!
    [​IMG]

11. Edge612

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2016
    Good morning everyone. Today's update is simply a topic/question I've been thinking about for years and have seen it brought up before on the site also. ​

SHOULD HALLOWEEN BE MOVED TO A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT?

A.) YES IT SHOULD BE MOVED TO THE LAST FRIDAY OF OCTOBER.
    B.) YES IT SHOULD BE MOVED TO THE LAST SATURDAY OF OCTOBER.
    C.) NO IT SHOULD STAY AS OCTOBER 31 NO MATTER WHAT DAY IT IS.

Well out of those 3 choices I would choose B as I feel Halloween should be on the last Saturday of October. With it being on a Saturday last year it made me realize how much more I could enjoy the actual day itself and obviously for kids it would be much easier and more enjoyable too than having to go to school during that day. I do love tradition though so it'd be weird not to have Halloween on October 31. But just something to think about.

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

12. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I would have to pick C - keep it on Oct. 31st. Guess I'm a traditionalist! :p :)

13. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

I'm going to respectfully differ with you ...

Halloween is short for "All Hallow's Eve," or the day before All Hallow's Day, which is always November 1. If you move the date, the name "Halloween" becomes meaningless. Does that matter? Well ... it does to me. Would you want Christmas Eve to fall on the last Saturday before Christmas?

Communities can---and do---celebrate Halloween locally by having trick-or-treat or parties or other observations on other days or nights, and that will continue. Also, the celebration of Halloween has grown into a season, instead of being celebrated on a single day---rather like Christmas. In light of all that, the date of Halloween itself should remain October 31.

14. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I was just about to go into what Merry has mentioned above about Hallow's Eve. So for me I would have to say that it won't be the same if it wasn't on October 31st.

15. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Founder

I completely concur. Halloween, more than any other observance or holiday, seems to have become disconnected from its roots.

16. Edge612

I totally understand your opinion. You make a very fair point. I think as you say people can "celebrate" Halloween on different days makes sense. I think around where I live they still mostly do on Halloween but I am noticing more and more people/communities scheduling their Halloween celebrations on the weekend before without actually moving the date of Halloween.

17. Edge612

It definitely doesn't seem to be the same as when we were growing up. Something is missing about it. Maybe it's also the way the world is a different place now and parents have to be careful more now than ever with their kids and allowing them to have "fun" on Halloween.

18. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Founder

Halloween was MUCH more about community back in the day. These days the issues of safety are such that has diminished tremendously. I think that is why when my kids were little we opted to participate on Halloween at Church -- we could mostly trust everyone there.

19. Jeff Westover

I would also add that we've forgotten the connections between Halloween and Christmas. We're going to pursue that a little bit this month in a new podcast edition.

20. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Partner

Here's your connection between Halloween and Christmas! :D postcard03.png