Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

That's why I love Thanksgiving so much.

2. angelpugs

angelpugs Fruit Cake Baker Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

This is my season and it goes through till about a week before christmas as i make crafts for people and i'm a confection maker and holiday baker so i keep a notebook with lists and i have another for orders.I stop about a week before christmas as that's just family time and yes we just sit back and enjoy the season.-merry-

Minta, CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  3. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2017
    Morning on the 20th day of the Bers! Yes we are moving along through September. And today we talk some more interesting topics in the Hang Out as always. We will talk a bit today about the difference in the summer and fall treats. We all like these different types of snacks, treats and other things associated with summer and fall respectively. We're right at the turning point for those.

As summer ends over the next couple of days (although you couldn't tell that from the weather we're having the next week) we'll start to trade in those iced drinks for more hot drinks to keep warm as the weather turns chilly eventually. The a.c. will turn off and the heat will turn on. Those transitions are coming with the weather just like the leaves that will start to change. There's nothing like a cold glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. Or is there? A hot cup of coco on a chilly Autumn evening? What's your preference when it comes to these types of drinks that you enjoy having to oppose the weather conditions your facing? And what about some hot soup in the chilly fall? Or maybe some chili for the "chilly" weather? What types of drinks/foods do you like to have in the summer opposed to the fall? I have to say that I am a big fan of ice cream and I love having it in the summer on a regular basis. But when the cooler weather hits I start wanting to have apple pie and hot chocolate. I'm an iced coffee addict so I drink it all year long but still in the mornings I trade in my ice cubes at home for some hot coffee. I keep drinking my iced coffee on Saturdays though at Dunkin no matter how cold it is. But I have to say I love some of the things about those summer drinks/foods as well as the autumn drinks/foods. They both are great in their own way. Which do you prefer and what types of food/drinks do you like to have in those 2 seasons as we are about to be right in between both of them. 2 days left in summer and then it's Autumn. Get ready for the chill.

Well we are now into the 20s of September. The focus will soon shift in this thread to one of my favorites...Halloween. But before that we have some special posts coming up. Lots of fun and stuff to talk about this time of year. It's all ahead of us now. But it's no longer far ahead of us. We're approaching the big 3 months of the year for holidays. We're on our way now. Have a great Wednesday!​

Minta and NcGunny like this.
  4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

My preferred hot beverages are tea (with a cinnamon stick) or cocoa (not from an envelope!). In the fall, ginger and cinnamon flavors are nice to go with the change of seasons. For some reason, I associate them with fall.

Minta, CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  5. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

I like your last week. Of course we enjoy including many people in our Christmas plans, but setting aside that time just for the family is certainly important...
    Family Christmas.jpg

Minta and Edge612 like this.
  6. CGYager

I suppose of all the drinks I enjoy cold, Hawaiian Punch would have to be on top. For the hot... coffee (can't even drink it cold). I drink coffee in the morning all year round, but there are times, like after shoveling snow, that an extra cup or two may come into play for warm up purposes.
    I will admit, that soups become more regular in the late Fall and Winter months. Beyond that anytime I can BBQ, regardless of the weather.

7. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler

Iced Mocha coffee from Starbucks with a dbl shot in em made with whole milk. They just make em now when I walk in..no questions asked. I do drink water but I flavor it with coffee beans..lol

Minta, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  8. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

I love hot cocoa and my fave drink from Starbucks is a skinny peppermint mocha latte. I love having it on a cold morning but I usually always have a hot coffee at home and I also drink iced coffee year round too.

CGYager, Edge612 and Minta like this.
  9. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer

I have a 3 ring binder that I keep these in. It's my holiday notebook :) There is another site that I go to for these forms http://christmas.organizedhome.com/ you can print out what out what you need. I will either make a copy of certain lists to keep in my purse like the gifts I still need to buy or I will take a picture of it with my phone. Since I shop year round and we shop for extended family too I like to keep track of shopping and the keep the spending under budget.

CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  10. Minta

Yes the holidays can be very busy .. after a while you get into a routine which makes it easier and faster to handle some of that holiday work. Each Year after we are done decorating we take pictures. We will refer back to them the following year especially with the outside. Its helps in figuring out placement of the extension cords which can take up a lot of time. I try to dedicate time for certain things. Thanksgiving weekend is decorating time. I break up the wrapping over several different days/evenings. Most of the cookie/cake baking is done between Dec 20th and the 23rd and I will get the kitchen cleaned and decluttered, dig out my containers that will hold all the cookies and have them washed and ready to go before the 20th. I will also plan crock pot meals or make a head meals for those crazy baking days. It also helps that the family pitches in with the decorating, wrapping and baking.

CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  11. Minta

I am hard core coffee drinker. Even on the hottest of days I get up in the morning and drink my hot coffee. Some days I will get an ice coffee in the afternoon but not often. Once in while in the fall/winter I will drink hot apple cider or hot cocoa when I am in the mood for it. I do stock up on the peppermint mocha creamer in fall/winter.

CGYager, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  12. Edge612

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2017
    Happy Last Day of Summer! Yes believe it or not we are officially on the last day of summer now. It seems like not long ago we just welcomed summer yet today we need to say farewell to it till June of 2018. If you need a tissue to say bye to it the Hang Out will provide those free of charge. And of course, those who are so happy to see it leave, hopefully you still had a good summer this year.

Today is the last day of summer. Some of you will cheer that. It's always a little sad to me when summer ends. Today is officially the last full day of summer time. The pools, ice cream trucks, kids out on summer break, vacations, warm weather, long days, fireworks and BBQS are now coming to an end. Summer always has great and special things even if you aren't a fan of it. It brings a unique time of year to us all. It's my personal favorite time to take off days (besides December of course) from work and enjoy long weekends. Something special about summer definitely still exists to me. But I have to say that as we say farewell to summer that it really signifies that the best time of year is really about to begin. 4th of July was great in the summer. We had a lot of fun in the Hang Out talking all summer long about how we yearn for those cooler Ber days (and yet here we are with warm weather during the last week). We all hope for lots of fun times in the summer every year. It's a special time of year and many people do enjoy it. But many of us also look at summer as being that big barrier to getting to our favorite season which begins tomorrow. The season that is not too hot and not too cold. The season that has all the holidays in it. It's coming. But first, before we get to that season I want to take a moment to thank summer for coming this year. It did feel like a fast season but the times we had heat/humidity slowed it down some. Summer time ends today. It's time to start moving on and letting go of those shorts and short sleeves soon. It's time to move on to the next season. Tomorrow in the Hang Out we will welcome that season...our favorite of the 4. But for today I just want to thank summer for coming this year and giving us a good one. See you next summer...summer.

I love summer. I have definitely found a love for it as I got older and it reminds me of being a kid. I like the warm weather and being able to go out in shorts for months at a time straight. I like the lighter and longer days. But at the same point, I understand the importance of summer ending for us at MMC. Our favorite season begins tomorrow. We will talk about it then. Have a great last day of summer!​

CGYager and NcGunny like this.
  13. SnowflakeMom

Yes, summer is great! I love being able to throw on shorts, shirt and flip flops and go but I am ready to head into fall with cooler temps and back into my socks and boots. I am excited to move onto a new season!

CGYager, Minta and Edge612 like this.
  14. Martine

Martine Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I am a list-maker, especially at work and for groceries and meal planning. For the Holidays, I have a list of Christmas movies and tv specials I want to watch, a year-long-and-ever-growing list of cookies and desserts to bake and a gift idea list for David (anytime he mentions something I add it to the list). This year I'll be on vacation early November and I'm going to make a cleaning list.

CGYager, Minta and Edge612 like this.
  15. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler

Never say NO to the shorts!! Going on 3 years straight of not wearing pants now.

16. CGYager

What's that about BBQ coming to an end? Bite your tongue sir! I love grilling and if it means moving a bit of snow to get things rolling, no problem. As far as short sleeves, I pretty much wear them year round. So much time spent up north that even sweatshirts don't make their appearance until the gauge drops below 45. I can appreciate all the things people do in the Summer and the love of warm/hot weather they require to enjoy those activities. But for me, the ideal temperature range is 60 - 74.
    Bring it on Fall!!!

Minta likes this.
  17. Edge612

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2017
    Happy 1st Day of Autumn! We made it to our favorite of the 4 seasons officially today. Autumn arrives with warm temperatures here right through this weekend into early next week. But we have already felt some cooler weather earlier this month and soon enough that cooler weather will become the norm. Let's welcome Autumn in on this Friday morning and get our weekend off to a good start.

Winter, Spring and Summer all have their good qualities. Winter brings Christmas and snow. Spring brings hope and flowers. Summer brings the summer fun stuff we talked about yesterday. But all 3 of them combined can't quite give us as many moments as Autumn does. Yes I know, Autumn does not officially include Christmas Eve or Day. It ends just before those 2 days arrive. But it brings us this long 3 month road from the edge of the end of summer all the way to the edge right before the big 2 days we wait for all year Christmas Eve and Day. It brings us all the things we love. It brings us Halloween and the cooler weather. It brings us so much anticipation that leads us all the way to the last few days before Christmas. It brings us Thanksgiving and lots of Christmas shopping. It brings us holiday t.v. shows and music. Autumn brings us the majority of the football season. It brings us so much and so many moments that we love. Something about it is just special. Many of us wish it was always Autumn. When it ends, we don't really realize what we're missing right away because we go right into Christmas those few days after it ends. I love summer. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like spring after a long winter I need it And I even like winter, to a point, without the freezing cold but the snow at times can be appreciated and the post-holiday decoriations and memories are fun to live through the winter. But the bottom line is nothing beats Autumn. Welcome Autumn because this is truly the best of the 4 seasons. Not many people would disagree with that. Make it a great Autumn...I know that we all will try to enjoy it as much as possible. We love this time of year.

Autumn is the best. I'm glad it's here. I look forward to this season more than the other 3. They all have their positives but to me Autumn is the best and will bring so many great moments. The best moments of the year...it will lead us right up to a few days before Christmas Eve/Day. Enjoy the ride. Autumn is going to give us that magical ride the other 3 seasons can't quite give. Have a great 1st Day of Autumn!​

Minta likes this.
  18. SnowflakeMom

Yes, this is definitely one of my favorite times of the year! It is for sure the one with the most excitement and so many events to look forward to!

19. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Partner

Time for us in the PA-OH corridor to start collecting buckeyes! Leaf crunchin' fun!

Minta, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  20. angelpugs

angelpugs Fruit Cake Baker Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

We're enjoying our fall here actually i have made my own scarecrow man stuffed pants and shirt with leaves and got a good sized pumpkin for his head,also enjoying our fall festivals here,i'll be in our fall foilage parade Oct.1st and so looking forward to another great parade.-season-