Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Homes that are around my area have their candle lights in the windows that's it but,here they are always in the windows especially during the winter months.

Minta, NovaMan and Edge612 like this.
  2. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

THURSDAY, JANUARY 10, 2019
    Good Double Digits January! It's moving now into the 10th day of the year. Onward we move into the heart of winter. And onward we continue to review the most amazing Christmas Season 2018 that we just had by talking about all of those presents we gave or received!

Christmas is not about presents. But they are a part of Christmas and the Christmas Season. 2018 had some fun gifts. That's what they have become to me over the years. It's more about the fun or the "reaction" of someone getting a certain gift with a certain meaning behind it than just the most expensive gifts. That's what the gifts meant to me in 2018 during the Christmas Season. When I look for gifts I try to find ones that will make people react to them positively and make memories of their reactions when they open them. And that happened during Christmas Season 2018. My favorite gifts were a video game I gave to my brother (he really wanted it), a calendar I received that someone made "homemade", and a friend of the family we all gave a new phone to since his phone was turned off a few months ago. All great little moments when those gifts were opened. And as much as the enjoyment afterwards of these gifts being used is great, the moments of them opening them were the greatest. That's why I do appreciate Christmas Gifts as being part of the Christmas Season. Any gifts you enjoyed the most during this holiday season that just passed us?

One year I started shopping in January but for me it did't work. I loved waiting till Thanksgiving to buy gifts. But when people open the gifts the real magic is made. Christmas gifts are a part of Christmas...and can be fun! Just remember they aren't the most important part of it. Have a great Double Digits January Day!​

Minta, NovaMan and SnowflakeMom like this.
  3. Edge612

FRIDAY, JANUARY 11, 2019
    Good TGIF Morning! We're now heading into the 2nd weekend of the year. Nice isn't it? And today we continue our review of Christmas Season 2018 which just passed us not long ago. We talk today about FOOD!

During the holiday season I bet you had a lot of great food. What kinds of food/meals did you enjoy the most during the holidays? I had some good treats at work like cookies that people brought in. I had my normal Christmas Eve strufoli that I enjoy every year. Lasagna on Christmas Day as usual with some cupcakes for dessert. Delicious. Going to visit different family members everyone took out something good to eat. Sometimes we had pizza also in December as family came over to visit. It's the easiest thing to buy if you're going to order something during the holidays because you know pretty much everyone does like pizza. But above all, the best food moments for me was as always on Christmas Eve Evening. We had our usual biggest meal of the year with all types of fish, cheese platter, shrimp platter, and much, much more. It was the pinnacle of the holiday season and the entire year for me. And the leftovers were delicious as well. Let's talk about the food we had during the holiday season. I bet some of it wasn't too healthy but I bet it also was quite delicious!

Food is always a part of holidays for me. Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July I have a BBQ. Thanksgiving is well almost made for food. And Christmas Eve/Day we have some of these special foods that we wait all year for. Have a great Foodie Friday!​

Minta and NovaMan like this.
  4. NovaMan

NovaMan The Maritimes Christmas Ambassador Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

We had the full traditional turkey dinner on Christmas day. For Christmas eve, this yea,r we enjoyed bacon wrapped scallops. As usual, we had many short breads, pies and cookies.

Happy Friday, all!

Minta and Edge612 like this.
  5. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

We had a full turkey dinner along with a ham. My oldest daughter's b-day is Christmas Day so we always have birthday cake too. Also, cheesecake and brownies are around as well..

Minta, Edge612 and NovaMan like this.
  6. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

I wish to lodge a complaint! My FAVORITE Christmas cookies, Archway Cashew Nougats, were in extremely short supply this past year! I only ever managed to procure ONE package! I'm not happy!

Minta, Edge612 and NovaMan like this.
  7. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

I was away for a couple of days from this site and I have a lot of topics to catch up on! As far as songs, for some reason Dean Martin's version of "Marshmallow World" was what I listened to the most. It just made me really happy this season, although I have heard it 100's of times before. My favorite present was jewelry from my husband. As for food, as I mentioned before we did not have our traditional Christmas Eve/Day due to illnesses in my family but I was able to still have a bowl of my sister's wonderful Italian Wedding Soup. It is a Christmas tradition for me and I haven't found a wedding soup I like better than hers!

8. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

We had a our ham dinner with the trimmings,pies,cakes,cookies and homemade confections all around,George B,we had our stores full of those as well as many other christmas favorites.

9. Edge612

SATURDAY, JANUARY 12, 2019
    Good Second Saturday of 2019! Cold out but it's winter! And the cold makes it a great time to reflect on the Christmas Season that we just had 2018 style. We've continued doing it all week and today we go to the most important thing to review about the Christmas Season.

We talked about a lot of great things this week to review our Christmas Season 2018. Lights, Food & Presents are all great parts of the holiday season. But there is one thing more important than that (even though those 3 things can help to create this) and that is Christmas Season Memories. What are the memories you made during the Christmas Season? What will you take forward with you to future Christmas Seasons and always remember? I will tell you a few of mine. One is simply my brother being here from San Diego. Just seeing him around and at times seeing him do the same things at the same time as the past several Christmases made me realize how much I love traditions and him moving several years ago actually made Christmas more special to me because I see him less often. A second one is my Christmas Eve walk which I've mentioned several times. Sometimes during the year I don't think about it that much but when it happens it hits me in the best way possible how special it is and how everything seems right and perfect on Christmas Eve Evening more than any other time of year. Thirdly, I would say Christmas morning just sitting around the tree with my family. I always say this but it's the one morning of the year we are all together and nobody is rushing off to do something, go somewhere, work, errands, sleeping, etc. Those are my big 3 memories from this Christmas Season. What are yours?

I definitely enjoyed this Christmas Season as much as I have any other. I just want to take the things I did forward and also create some new ideas/things for Christmas Season 2019. Lots of time to prepare for that thankfully. Have a great Second Saturday of the year!​

SnowflakeMom and Minta like this.
  10. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

THere are a few houses still decorated for Christmas in my town and neighborhood. We took down the Christmas lights but we did put up the white lights around the front roof line, light up snowman, left out the light rendeer and the sled that we had for CHristmas.

Edge612 likes this.
  11. Minta

I have a a lot of favorite christmas songs : Mary did you know, Silent Night, White Christmas, but Baby its cold outside really stuck out this year .. maybe because of the issue some people had with the song.

SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  12. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

During the height of the season, there were 150 houses lit up on our neighborhood rounds... yesterday, there were 25.

My favorite Christmas memory is this: my (now) nine year old nephew drew his own "graphic novel" two years ago when he was eight... for Christmas this year, I cleaned it up in photoshop and used my Print On Demand printer to print him up ten copies of an *actual* comic book! Score one for the uncle!

chunky_cat_front_cover.jpg

Minta, Edge612, *Vixen* and 1 other person like this.
  13. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

That is awesome! I bet he loved that!!!

14. sugarmuffin25

I have two favorite memories from this Christmas season. The first is the evening that my husband and I drove to the Oglebay Festival of Lights in West Virginia. We had a wonderful dinner, listened to Christmas carols, and enjoyed the beautiful lights together. It was a great evening. Also, the night we went to see the Nutcracker Ballet. Always a magical evening for me (him, not so much!). My second favorite memory was actually all the baking I did for Christmas. I have never baked so much for a season as I did this year. I was finally smart and at my leisure throughout December made cookie dough, fudge, and other assorted snacks and froze them. Then, on the 23rd I was able to bake everything and assemble trays for everyone. It was the most stress free Christmas baking I have ever done and I really enjoyed it this year!

15. *Vixen*

*Vixen* Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

What a great gift! I imagine he was thrilled to unwrap that.

George Broderick Jr. and Edge612 like this.
  16. Edge612

SUNDAY, JANUARY 13, 2019
    Good 2nd Sunday of the year! And another cold one here but hey it's January! It's supposed to be cold. And it makes it still feel like we're in Christmas Season 2018. We've talked all week long about it and reviewed how it went. Today we put a final wrap-up and give our final thoughts overall, on Christmas Season 2018!

We've talked about all different topics this week and how they went for us with this Christmas Season. Overall, my thoughts are very simple. The Christmas Season is still, BY FAR, the best time of year. And this is something that somehow, someway always blows my mind away every year. It's not that I forget during the year but I really do love spring, summer, Halloween Season and Thanksgiving Season. And then the Christmas Season comes, as it did this year, and blows all of those things out of the water with how it is the most special and amazing time of year. That's how I feel about my Christmas Season 2018. It was amazing and special. It's something I will never forget. Having my family with me, the traditions, the food, the presents, the LAUGHS, the memories, the lights, the special feelings I had during it were unmatched. My only wishes as it concluded were 1.) That I have a chance to experience Christmas Season 2019. 2.) That I REMEMBER all year and keep everything in perspective that as much as I am living in the moment and enjoying the various times of year that I always keep in my mind that the Christmas Season is still the ultimate, #1 time of year by far. Final thoughts on Christmas Season 2018?

I am glad we took the week to look back at the Christmas Season. You always have to take time to look back to move forward. You have to learn from the past to make the future even better. We'll be moving into other topics this week but we'll never forget Christmas Season 2018. Have a great Chilly Sunday!​

Minta likes this.
  17. ballcoach

ballcoach Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

The thing about little ones is that you can give them a sucker on Christmas morning and they act like you just gave them the world. They are so in awe of the whole event that they are grateful for everything. We did get them a Barbie Camper and they just loved it. We haven't got to play outside much, but it was a cool moment.

As for me...I did get an amazing gift. As yall know, Mom sold her house and all the furniture that was in it. Some of the furniture was my brother's and mine. So, she gave us a nice bit of money that we weren't expecting. It was really cool.

The best gift of all though...the one you dont' open...is just being with family and friends.

Edge612, sugarmuffin25 and Minta like this.
  18. Minta

This sums it up perfecty!

Edge612 and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  19. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Christmas 2019 season will be a double blessing in my house this year. We moved in a new house and I want to get 2 Christmas trees. I am excited and will over decorate my house inside and out.

Minta, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  20. Edge612

MONDAY, JANUARY 14, 2019
    Good New January Week! We're now heading towards the middle of January soon! Just like that we're almost half a month into the new year. Too fast too soon? Well I was wondering today what is Santa doing this week?

Santa is synonymous with December. That's his month. But really he prepares a lot all year. If you read the posts on MMC you can keep up to date with Santa. I'm just wondering what is Santa doing this week? I wonder if he's happy or sad. From the posts I read I think he's pretty excited actually. It sounds like he really enjoys his time off this time of year. But he also begins planning for next Christmas already. Let's be real here. Santa knows, as we have found out the last several years, that time goes way too fast. And therefore, he also knows that he needs to think about, plan and prepare for Christmas all year long. I kind of see him laying back with his feet up smiling at his successful Christmas 2018. And when he thinks of Chrirstmas 2019 his smile only grows bigger and better. Santa is probably having a few cookies today too. But maybe he's cut back on them a little to lose a few lbs in the post holiday time like many people do before he bulks back up in time for the holiday season later in the year. All in all, I'm sure Santa is reflecting on the special feelings he got during the holiday season just like we all got caught up in. And he probably is wanting to keep that magic all year long inside him and prepare for Christmas Season 2019.

What do you think Santa is doing right now? Do you think he misses Christmas when it's over or is just excited for it to come again? I think he's like us and mostly is happy most of the time and excited to prepare all year long for Christmas. Have a great start to your Mid-January Week!​

Minta likes this.