Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Yeah, online shopping has put quite a dent in the "traditional" Black Friday melee..!

Edge612 and Minta like this.
  2. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

My saddest day of the year would be the day we turn the clocks ahead!! I am NOT a fan of Spring, and hate when things get light out and warmer. I'm a weirdo. Most people love that time of year. I am not one of those people. January doesn't bother me because it seems to go so fast! February has my birthday plus two other family member's birthdays so it is all good by me. March is when I start to get depressed because the seasons will soon be changing. As I have said in the past, if I could wipe March through August right off the calendar and go from February directly into football season I would be so happy!

*Vixen*, Minta and Edge612 like this.
  3. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

SATURDAY, JANUARY 19, 2019
    Happy Hibernation Weekend! Well it's actually MLK Weekend but I'm also calling it Hibernation Weekend as the weather across a good part of the country is going to be cold (bitter cold), snowy, icy, rainy, and just not nice. Let's talk about these rare weekends where we may want to stay in more than go out!

Happy Hibernation Weekend (unless the weather is a lot nicer where you are than it will be here)! We talked recently about one nice thing about January Weekends is that they are more laid back and calmer than the craziness of the Autumn and Christmas Season Weekends. It is a nice change of pace for sure. And there are always at least 1 or 2 really "bad" weekends during the winter where it's just going to be brutally cold and/or snowy/icy and this is one of them for us. And the fact I am taking off Monday just makes it an even better reason for me to feel it's a good weekend to hibernate. I'll take my tree down, watch a few Christmas shows (for the first time since Christmas Day) and even play some Christmas Music. I'll allow myself this holiday weekend to warp back to the Christmas Season. Of course, I'll be out doing errands some too but I've decided to dedicate this wintery weekend more to being inside than outside. What about you? Any plans and do you ever have any Hibernation Weekends? And aren't they really a nice change of pace?

Whatever your plans are this weekend enjoy them. Sometimes it's fun to have a more laid back weekend. I definitely am trying to have one this weekend. And Post-Christmas stuff will be on the menu for me. I hope you all enjoy the start to your Hibernation Weekend (if you choose to do so)!​

Minta and SnowflakeMom like this.
  4. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

We are in hibernation mode too...I have to do some grocery shopping today and then I plan to be home tomorrow and a majority of Monday since it is going to be bitterly cold. I am looking forward to it and not having a schedule and some relaxation.

5. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

We're stocked up and ready as we can be. We're going out for lunch because we'll be housebound tomorrow with the snow/sleet/freezing rain, and possibly Monday with the freeze-up. If we don't lose our power, we should have a cozy weekend.

Minta and Edge612 like this.
  6. *Vixen*

*Vixen* Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

I feel the same way. I hate when the clocks go forward and daylight lasts so long.

7. Edge612

SUNDAY, JANUARY 20, 2019
    Happy Championship Sunday! If you're an NFL fan then today is a big day. We will find out who will go to the Superbowl! And the Superbowl is actually my personal 1st big milestone since January 1. And I'll explain why that is today by talking about winter and how it keeps Christmas Alive!

I've taken several walks since Christmas Eve at night to try to relive the magic. And it's worked. Part of the reason is that there are lights still out there. The other part? It's cold. It's winter. It feels like Christmas! Yes I am not the biggest winter person. It's my least favorite of the 4 seasons. But at the same time I have to admit that it makes things feel like Christmas time when it's cold. It just feels like the holiday season still which makes me happy. And that's one thing I love about winter. Even though it gets a bad reputation and many of us may not love the winter time as much it helps keep Christmas alive. And therefore, even though winter may seem long at times or dark and/or cold it's all worth it. It really helps us stay in the Christmas Season a little longer. It keeps the lights on a little later into the year. And last but not least? Winter helps us appreciate spring when it arrives. Winter fan? Not winter fan? And do you agree it helps keep the Christmas Season alive to you?

I definitely love spring, summer and autumn. Winter it depends on but one thing I do love about it is how it keeps Christmas alive. That's one thing I love about winter. Enjoy your winter-like Sunday here on the Eve of MLK day!​

Minta likes this.
  8. ballcoach

ballcoach Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

Ok, something is going on with my computer....I've gone back to add several of the posts from this week so i could respond, but it keeps messing up.

So...the saddest day of the year...for me...is the Saturday and Sunday after football season is over. For me, it ends the fall/winter season. I just hate it. It does kinda make me sad...because I feel like there is nothing to do or nothing to watch. Even though I have basketball and baseball is quickly approaching, i just enjoy the feeling of the fall season and football games.

Next...

Christmas Tree coming down make me sad? Nope, not one bit. Now, don't you look at me like I'm crazy...BUT...I put my tree up the first weekend of November and take it down pretty quickly after Christmas. I truly believe you can have too much of a good thing and I think it is best if I get it done. To be honest, after having it up for two months...I appreciate the clean look that we have back.

Next....

2nd half of January. During the summer, I'm outside...NONSTOP. I cut the grass, trip the hedges and flowers, etc. I usually wash and clean out our cars each weekend. I just love being outside...which means things on the inside become unorganized. During Jan. and Feb., I REALLY enjoy getting things cleaned and back in order in our house. I have to admit...it takes the place of outside and keeps me busy from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. For a person who doesn't like clutter and messes, I really appreciate and look forward to that time.

And, yes, Christmas shows are still in full swing around here. Avaleigh and Lindley still watch all the Christmas cartoons, especially Prep and Landing and Rudolph.

Y'all be good! See you next weekend!

Edge612, Minta and SnowflakeMom like this.
  9. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

Can't wait to watch the Championship games today! Two really good matchups. Super bowl Sunday is one of my favorite days as well, but then it signals the end of the football season, which is so depressing! But I won't dwell on that today as there will be two great games to watch today!

10. Iteachpercussion

Iteachpercussion Elf Supervisor MMC Premiere Member Santa's Elf

A new football league starts this year the week after the Super Bowl. It is the Alliance of American Football. There are some really good former coaches leading the teams. They are showing the first game on cbs.
    https://aaf.com

Not sure how good it will be, but I am excited to watch it. It should keep football going until about draft time.

11. Edge612

Superbowl Sunday is one of the handful of days that are special to me in the 1st half of the year. And it's become my 3rd favorite "meal" of the year after Christmas Eve Dinner & Thanksgiving Dinner.

12. SnowflakeMom

I love Superbowl too..I love all the snacks and hanging out with friends.

13. sugarmuffin25

I didn't know this! Thanks!

Minta, Edge612 and Iteachpercussion like this.
  14. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Staying in here as it is brutal out there with the snow and it being -35 below zero so will be keeping the woodstove going and baking some muffins and cookies and catching a few classic movies.Living here in New England i do enjoy winter as it is beautiful but,i also love spring especially when you see all the pops of color guess i really love each season as each brings it's own special beauty.

Minta, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  15. Edge612

MONDAY, JANUARY 21, 2019
    Happy Martin Luther King Day! Today is a holiday for some. Others still work. But today is also a day that has a meaning that some people forget sometimes (like Memorial Day/Labor Day). It's about a dream that a great man had about everyone being equal. And although we may still have some people who do not believe in this, we have come a long way in that dream coming true. Let's talk about our dreams, in terms of the holidays, here.

Martin Luther King wished for everyone to be treated equally. It may not always happen, unfortunately. And it's something the world still needs to improve on. But he was a great man who was brave and stood up for what he believed in. And I think we can all appreciate that. His famous "I have a dream" speech is legendary. In terms of the holidays, did your dreams come true? And do you ever dream (literally) during the year about the holiday season? I daydream in the summer as I lay out in the sun about the upcoming Bers & Holiday Season. I can't say that I dream that often though while I'm sleeping about the holidays. But I've had a few holiday ones. One was that I woke up in my dream and it was suddenly Christmas Eve (and nothing was ready)! It's like I had slept from Februrary to December. It was scary. Luckily I woke up a few years ago realizing it was still only February. But it was more like a nightmare than a dream even though the feeling of it being Christmas Eve was so awesome as always. How about you? Do you dream about the holidays? Or do you just daydream about them? Thanks Martin Luther King for your dream and we're still trying our best all these years later to make it come completely true.

Today's post we had a little MLK talk, some dreaming of the holidays talk and a little daydreaming about them talk. Good mixture today in the Hang Out. Have a great Martin Luther King Day! And always dream about the holiday season!​

Minta likes this.
  16. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

I've also had the "suddenly it's Christmas and nothing is ready" bad dream. More than once. It's always a relief to find that it's only a dream.

17. Edge612

TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2019
    Good Double 2s of January Morning! 22nd of the month and we're rolling towards out 1st "special" 24th/25th posts of the month. Everyone excited for it? Well today I'm going to tell you about my own little way I decided this year to keep Christmas Eve alive all year!

What do you do to keep the holiday season alive all year? Obviously, one thing you do is come to MMC. Do you keep any specific ornament out? Or do you work on a list all year? Or maybe you just Christmas shop all year also. For me? I do a Christmas Shopping List that I create on Christmas night for the following Christmas and each day I add/delete a gift idea. That's one thing I've always done or at least for the last 5-6 years at least. And now this year I decided to add another way to keep Christmas Eve alive specifically. I have often talked to you about my special "Christmas Eve Walk" that I take around 5:30-6PM on Christmas Eve Evening. Every year when I take this walk it "hits me" so bad. It feels like the most special time of year is now here officially. Seeing all the houses lit as I take this same walk every year and knowing that my Christmas Eve dinner is almost ready and the most magical night of the year is beginning makes me feel the true magic of the holiday season. What I decided was this year I would take that little 20-25 minute walk every week and think about Christmas Eve. And so far it's worked. It's been fun the few times I've done it. Obviously, having the chill in the air and the Christmas lights (some) still out has helped me be able to focus on it and feel that Christmas Eve feel. But I plan to carry this on all year and keep it alive. What do you do to keep Christmas Eve/Day/The Season alive all year? Tell us today.

I love Christmas Eve. Every year I get hooked on spring, summer, the Bers, Halloween Season, Thanksgiving and Christmas Season. They are all amazing but when Christmas Eve comes I get reminded that this is still for me the best day of the year. And I vow not to "forget" that this year. Have a great Double 2s day of January!​

Minta likes this.
  18. SnowflakeMom

I try to watch a Christmas show on the 25th of each month. I also love play some Christmas music in July.

I do keep out a little Santa on my desk all year long...always helps to remind me of the season!

Nothing better than that Christmas Eve feeling of excitement.

Edge612, Minta and Iteachpercussion like this.
  19. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Much like Ebenezer Scrooge, I "keep Christmas in my heart all the year through"...

20. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

I like to test new recipes all year to see if there are any that I want to use for Christmas. I also like to shop year round for Christmas gifts.

Edge612 likes this.