Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20, 2019
    Happy Spring Everyone! Today is "the day" spring arrives. Isn't that such a great feeling? After bidding winter farewell yesterday we officially welcome in spring here today. Let's say Hi to Spring 2019!

Welcome Spring 2019! It's been a long winter for many of us and it's nice to see you finally arrived. It's a great time of year as we are just starting to get warmer and lighter out with many months ahead to continue that trend. Winter is already becoming a distant thought for many of us. Those flowers are starting to come up and show some life. Lots of signs of green are continuing to increase as grasses grow and weeds do too. This is the time of year when hope springs eternal as the saying goes. And think about the fact as spring arrives we are exactly halfway to our favorite season of the 4 to arrive (Autumn). That's another positive. It's kind of cool to be on the "other side" of the year though. You need to enjoy all 4 seasons to appreciate the next one. Baseball season will be starting soon. Warmer weather will increase. Easter will be coming. Lots of things on the horizon this spring including late in the spring Memorial Day. And of course don't forget Mother's Day to come also. Lots of great times ahead this spring. Welcome Spring 2019!

Spring is one of my favorite seasons because it comes after winter and I always feel the most anxious towards the end of winter to get out of that season than the other 3. Let's all enjoy this spring and I hope it's a nice one for all of you. Happy Spring 2019 Everyone!​

2. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Springtime in Pittsburgh is a total crap shoot... we may be getting snow later this week... or 70 degree temps... or both on the same day!

Edge612 likes this.
  3. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Happy Spring and fingers crossed we have no more snow!!

Edge612 likes this.
  4. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

We're suppose to get snow here next week temps will be dropping,weather is crazy. 100-Quotes-To-Get-You-Ready-For-Spring-7132-6.gif

SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  5. Edge612

THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2019
    Happy Spring Break! Ok it's not really spring break but I personally am off 8 of the next 11 days so I'm kind of joking that it's my own version of spring break. And it made me think of a topic for today which is memories of spring break from being a kid!

We always talk about memories as a kid from the holiday season and the breaks we had from school. We talk about the holiday break for Christmas and even snow days we had off from school. But what about spring break? Did you guys and girls ever have any memorable spring breaks? I had a few. But I also recall one where we used so many snow days that winter that we lost most of our spring break. Ouch! Time to pay the piper after a long winter huh? Overall, spring break to me meant a "final break" from school before the long home stretch through April, May and a good part of June before we reached the finish line. We'd go outside and play ball. We'd be glad the snow was gone from the ground. We'd enjoy the sunny days and the longer evenings. We'd be excited about the upcoming summer. Spring Break for us mostly was around Easter time so we'd have our own little Easter Egg hunt in my backyard. We would decorate for it too during spring break. We'd simply try to have some family fun during it. I won't compare Spring Break to Christmas Break because there is no comparison, however, in its own way Spring Break was very special and always a fun time. Any Spring Break memories?

As I take my "older guy" spring break as I'm calling it I do have some things to take care of and it's not quite all fun like it was when I was a kid but I also hope to relax a little. I hope you all get a chance to take a handful of days off at some point this spring and take your own little spring break. Have a great 1st FULL day of Spring 2019!​

6. George Broderick Jr.

As a kid, my "Spring breaks" were always the Thursday before Good Friday until the Monday after Easter. Now, I was a Protestant growing up in a mostly Catholic neighborhood in the early 60's (thanks, Mom!)... I never understood (or appreciated) my Catholic friends just sitting around for the "quiet hours" of 1-3 PM on Good Friday (supposedly, the hours where Jesus hung on the cross)… we were kids and we only had FOUR DAYS for fun! Oh, those wacky Catholics! Of course, most of the rest of my family (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins) were Catholic, as was my father... so maybe I was the wacky one? Hmmm...

Edge612 likes this.
  7. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

My family took a vacation during Christmas and/or spring break. We went on some road trip several days on end. I do remember spring break as a fun and relaxing time with my family.

Edge612 likes this.
  8. Edge612

FRIDAY, MARCH 22, 2019
    Happy 1st TGIF of Spring! We're heading into the 1st weekend of spring. And that's a great thing. But there is some work of spring also. Yet there's also fun. Let's talk about how the fun compares to the work of spring!

Spring is here and most people are excited for it. But spring isn't all fun and games. It's not all sunshine and flowers. There is some work involved. Many of us have yard work to catch up on. As we get warmer and get some rain too the grass will grow and so will the weeds. The garage probably could use a good cleaning out too after a long winter. And I know that my car can use that too with all the salt and stuff from the winter time. Lots of cleaning up this spring. But it's not all work. There's plenty of fun to have in the sun. Enjoying a lunch outside. Maybe going on a picnic. And baseball season is about to return. Maybe you like golfing or fishing. You'll see people doing that too this spring. It's not all work but it's not all fun and games either. Spring is a mixed bag of a season. Do you think the fun outweighs the work of spring? Or Vice Versa? Tell everyone your thoughts and feelings on the work of spring vs. the fun of spring!

I love spring. I've always loved it. To me it brings hope. And it makes you realize that there's lots of fun times ahead. I know that I have some work to do but it's nice doing that work without freezing, for the most part. Have a great 1st Spring TGIF!​

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  9. SnowflakeMom

I love spring too!! Nothing better than the longer days and warmer temps just makes you want to be outside..

Edge612 likes this.
  10. George Broderick Jr.

Spring, Schming! It's snowing in the 'Burgh today!

Edge612 likes this.
  11. Edge612

SATURDAY, MARCH 23, 2019
    Happy 1st Spring Weekend of 2019! We officially are now into "Spring Weekends." That has a nice ring to it doesn't it? They differ from Winter Weekends. They differ from Summer Weekends too. And they differ from Autumn Weekends, of course. Let's talk about Spring Weekends!

Happy 1st Weekend of Spring! We now are into the 2nd season of 2019. And we're into the weekends of it which is what we all love. No matter how much we all like our jobs when the weekend comes we all can use a break. And what are your plans on the weekends? It depends what time of year it is. In winter you probably want to hibernate and go out less. You rather stay inside, warm and watch a few Christmas shows. In summer? You want to be outside unless it's too hot and then you want to be in a/c. But you probably like going out, to the beach or the pool. Or maybe you want to catch a baseball game. In Autumn well we know the weekends there. They are so unique and special. Football games, Apple Picking, Halloween Trails, Walks on a Cool Crisp Day, Raking Leaves, and Preparing for the Holidays. Nothing beats Autumn Weekends. But now we have spring weekends which differ from all of those 3 seasons. It kind of has a mixture of all 3 of those seasons if you think about it. You may want to hibernate at times if the weather isn't great (sometimes spring can be rainy). You may want to go out and catch a baseball game (baseball season is starting up and you're bound to get some nice spring weather eventually). You may want to get outside and rake those leaves...from LAST Autumn that you didn't get to before winter (I knew they'd still be waiting for me after winter). Whatever your plans are, just remember it's spring. And it's a great season. It's not too hot yet. The cold though is starting to ease away. It's a good time of year to be in. No matter what your plans are Happy Spring Weekend and let us know how you plan to spend your Spring Weekends Ahead!

I love the weekend no matter what time of year it is. And really who doesn't? It's just got a special feeling to it and each weekend almost feels like the end of another "Week's Journey" through the year. They go too fast. Have a great 1st Weekend of Spring!​

12. Edge612

SUNDAY, MARCH 24, 2019
    Happy 9 Months till Christmas Eve! Folks, believe it or not we have reached our "3rd" 24th of the year already. We're 25% of the way back to Christmas Eve. I don't know where this month of March has gone but today we focus and zoom in on Christmas Eve Morning!

Happy 9 Months till Christmas Eve! Today is our monthly "24th" where in this thread we discuss some Christmas Eve topics. It's always one of my favorite posts of the month. Today we focus and zoom in on Christmas Eve Morning. How does your Christmas Eve Morning normally go? For me, it's actually strange. I wake up on Christmas Eve Morning with the most amazing feeling inside of me. I am so thankful for my favorite day of the year being here. I have a little special breakfast but nothing too crazy. I go for a little run. I stop and get a few last minute items at our local grocery store (grapes, strawberries, fresh bread) for the big feast. These are things you don't want to buy too far ahead. But that's usually my only stop. Other than that I go home after this and then my family and I talk. We can't believe it's Christmas Eve. We start talking about what we need to do next and around what time we'll be preparing everything. But it's actually pretty laid back. Nothing crazy really goes on Christmas Eve morning for us. It's almost a slow start to the most special day of the year. It's a slow build till about noon. That's when things start to change for us. But we'll talk about that next month on April 24th when we zoom in and focus on Christmas Eve Afternoon. How does your Christmas Eve Morning usually go?

Well we have reached our 3rd 24th of the year already. I'm not sure about you but March has just completely sped by this year. We only have 1 more full week in the month. And we'll discuss what's a head in the Hang Out for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. Have a great 3 months down, 9 months to go till Christmas Eve!​

13. ballcoach

ballcoach Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

As crazy as it seems, I love the work of spring...it is what makes it enjoyable for me. Getting out in the yard, cleaning the cars, getting everything back in shape for the next 9 months...I love it. After being in the house from Dec-Feb, I can't wait to get back out and get at it. It isn't just getting things organized, there are usually exciting little things that we get to do during Spring that I look forward to doing. The zoo, going to the park, our big Easter egg hunt, cookouts, and Memorial Day....things really crank up around late March through late May....giving us some stuff to do, again. There just isn't a lot from Dec. 26-Feb that I really enjoy.

Edge612 likes this.
  14. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Been enjoying spring as nice days i have my house opened up and doing spring cleaning as i've cleaned up my yard and my gardens which my flowers are coming up.Looking forward to bbq's and just going out walking again and looking forward to all our outdoor events which are so much fun,can't wait to see all the color of spring.

Edge612 likes this.
  15. Edge612

MONDAY, MARCH 25, 2019
    Happy Rudolph Day #3! Oh wow that's a heck of a way to start the last week of March isn't it? Last week of March? Feels like this month has completely blown right by us. Let's talk about Christmas Morning as we zoom in here on the 25th of March!

Happy Rudolph Day #3! We now can say 3 down and 9 to go till we reach Christmas Day. Uh huh. That's amazing. Already basically 1/4 of the way back to Christmas Day. And I for one don't even want to think about that yet. Today we zoom in and talk about Christmas Morning. Is there really anything more special than that? Not much I can tell you that. What's your Christmas morning like? Know what's funny? For all the holidays and times of days during the year we all do different things and have different traditions (even if they are similar). But the one thing most of us all share is Christmas Morning we mostly all sit around our Christmas trees opening presents. That's almost standard for most people. And it's a heck of a fun time isn't it? I always go out and get the coffee & donuts. Thank you Dunkin for being open on Christmas Morning. It's always got a surreal feeling as when I go out there's almost nobody on the road. Almost nothing is open. It's the one most special morning of the year where it feels everyone has just stopped and they are all taking a break from everyday life. And it's a great feeling. Sitting around the tree with coffee, donuts, a Christmas show on t.v. and opening presents. There isn't much better in life than that to me. Christmas Morning is pure magic. It brings back a lot of memories but also enjoying the new ones is always fun. We always try to have as many presents as possible, even if some of them are just "funny" ones that you didn't even have to buy. We just use it as an excuse to spend as much time together as we can that morning. I love Christmas Morning. Is yours similar or different than mine?

Christmas Morning. Ahh man that is the culmination really of everything. I always say it but my favorite 24 hour period of the year is really Noon on Christmas Eve through Noon on Christmas Day. And Christmas Morning is a big part of it. Have a great Rudolph Day #3 Everyone!​

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  16. SnowflakeMom

Ours is very relaxing too...our kids open the gifts and I always make a breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls. We usually have a on a Christmas show or movie too. Such a special feeling on that day!

Edge612 likes this.
  17. Edge612

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2019
    Happy Final Tuesday of March! And believe it or not the 1st quarter of 2019 is starting to wind down but we'll get to that later this week. Today we'll focus on something you may be noticing more and more of which are Easter Decorations & Lights!

Have you noticed that there are some lights and decorations around? Almost makes you think we're back in the holiday season again. But we're not. We're heading towards Easter time! And I'm sure you've noticed more and more Easter stuff around. I've seen some lights/decorations. This one house down my block decorates for everything and they just changed from St. Patrick's to Easter now. It's cool to see and a sure sign that we're in spring now. And it's a good feeling. Also in the stores I've noticed more and more Easter candy and decorations. Yet, at the same time, already seeing pools, bbqs and summer items. Pretty intense huh? So much changes so fast. It's a sign of the times. What type of Easter stuff do you like seeing? Those green/yellow lights? How about a giant easter bunny? Lots of them are tasty. I mean the chocolate kind of cousre. I like seeing the Peeps around. Those always are a sign I know that Easter is on its way. And while a ton of houses don't decorate for Easter here there's still a good handful of them that do. What about around you? Do you notice more and more signs of Easter approaching? And do you like those decorations/lights anywhere near as much as you love other holiday decs/lights? Let us know today how the Easter signs are looking in your area here in late March!

We are indeed moving along here in late March. I'm glad Easter isn't till late April this year. I like having to wait for it. And it makes the build from Easter to Memorial Day seem less of a long one. Have a great Final Tuesday of March!​

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  18. SnowflakeMom

We have 2 houses on my street that decorated. One has pink lights and they have 2 bunnies on their porch.
    I like seeing all the candy and decorations and I love the Cadbury mini eggs (not the gooey ones).

Edge612 likes this.
  19. George Broderick Jr.

Reese's Cups shaped like eggs and marshmallow peeps are the REAL meaning of Easter! Just sayin'...

Edge612 and SnowflakeMom like this.
  20. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 27, 2019
    Happy March Mid-Week! We're now continuing to head towards the end of March. Before we get there though I think it's important we really take a look at the meaning of this month, what it brings us and the transition month it really is!

March is winding down soon! Already? I know it's crazy. But as we've gone through this month I've realized how significant it really is to us and the scope of the entire year. How we look at things at MMC March is almost as important of a month as September is believe it or not. March has that transition feel. You still are trying to shake the cold days away while starting to increase the warmer ones. You go from winter to spring. We have a few days like St. Patrick's Day that are important to us. And it really represents a lot. It brings us towards the next several months where we'll move into baseball season and Easter. And lots of other thing too. We see summer after that and we all know here what comes after summer. This all starts to happen slowly but surely after March. March really is a transition. September is similar. But it's just on the other side of the year. Marching through March has been fun. We all know where we are heading now. And in a couple of days I'll tell you where we are heading in this thread through the best 3/4 of the year. March has great Meaning and has proved it so far this year. Let's continue to appreciate it as it winds down!

This is not a farewell post to March. That will be on Sunday. But I just wanted to acknowledge how important this month is to us. I've been recognizing it more as I look as what comes after March. And this March for some reason has gone so fast. Have a great March Mid-Week!​

SnowflakeMom likes this.