Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Scrooged with Bill Murray
    The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - cartoon
    A Christmas Carol
    Frosty the Snowman
    Home Alone
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - cartoon
    A Charlie Brown Christmas - cartoon

Minta, Edge612 and Rich like this.
  2. Rich

Rich Ornament Craftsman MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

That's a great idea. I don't like the purple ones.

3. shrcpark

Last year we moved and missed out a Christmas tree. Thus, we are putting up 2 full Douglas fur Christmas trees and a plethora of lights inside and out. I CAN NOT wait until Christmas this year. We are decorating early and I will enjoy every bit of it.

Minta, Rich, Edge612 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12, 2019
    Happy 6-12! Today is actually my birthday (cheap plug). I'm not a big fan of birthdays (getting too old lol) but since it is I wanted to talk about one of my favorite things in the entire world as we celebrate being "Halfway to December" and that is Christmas Trees!

Is there anything more magical than a Christmas Tree? Do you know when I see those first signs of them in August that I almost get a tear in my eye? I see a few here and there starting closer to September. And then you see them more and more through the fall. It's a sight to behold. I love it. You love it. We all love it. And soon we'll be seeing it and living it! I can't wait for that. That's going to be a heck of a time. But when you see trees out in November and December you smile. You have to smile! You smile almost as brightly as the Christmas Trees are lit. That magical feeling you get when you see a tree. It represents Christmas, Peace, Good times, Traditions, Fun, Family and quite frankly the "Best time of Year." Putting up our tree is one of my top moments of the year also. Your thoughts/feelings on Christmas trees and how do you feel the first time you see them out?

I love Christmas Trees. I love the Holiday Hang Out. I love MMC. 3 of my favorite things and I'm happy to be here. We're all getting older but we're all enjoying our lives and talking about the holidays all year is one thing that I've found over the last years thanks to MMC that has made my life on a daily basis better (as all of you have). Have a great 6-12!​

ballcoach, Minta and Skippy1707 like this.
  5. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Happy Birthday Edge! Hope you have a great day! And you are definitely speaking my language here when you talk about Christmas trees!! My favorite!!! As previously stated, I put up 9 trees of all shapes, sizes, and themes. One is a live tree and for that one I rotate decorations every four years (red and silver, blue and silver, purple and silver, and then traditional multi-colored lights and decorations. This year is purple and silver.) That way, I only see each set of decorations once every four years and they seem brand new and exciting! Last year was blue and silver and I also had a white snowflake tree, a natural cream and brown tree with little woodland creatures and acorns, a beach themed tree, a nutcracker tree, a black tree with all silver decorations, a white tree with red and green decorations, a silver and gold tree, and two small tale top fiber optic trees. Ok, maybe that was 10 trees! And my living room/dining room area is not very big, so it is so beautiful and festive in there with everything lit up! But the best thing is, I think and plan new/different trees all year through. That helps me with the long wait until November 1st and I can start the process all over again!

6. Rich

Seeing Christmas Trees out in public always makes my heart jump for joy. It invokes a smile every time. Hobby Lobby will have there's out within a couple weeks. I try to stop in there every week May thru August. By September they're full blown Christmas and not adding very many new items to the shelves. That's when I only go every other week until Thanksgiving. When they first set out the Christmas trees, if they're not lit, I'll plug them in if no one is around. :D The best tree I have ever seen is mine. :p But you've just gotta love them all. :)

7. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

I love seeing Christmas trees all lit up. I use to love the bus rides home and seeing the Christmas trees and decorations in peoples windows. It is one of my favourite things. I enjoy spending time with my kids decorating the christmas tree - their father isnt too bothered but I am hoping this year to make more memories because the community is already planning for christmas activities - last year we raised funds for a community christmas tree and this year they are looking to do the tree with star decorations of rememberance and carols for the community so it sounds great! There is even talk of a parade too so I am hoping I will get the tree up from December 1st this year and some things in place mainly for my daughter but also for my son.

Wow! 10 trees! i have 2 but I think I will be getting a third this year. Our base for the living room one is broken but it still stands so I think a new one is in order to replace it. Our main tree is decorated in lots of different colours at the minute and decorations we were sent in the exchanges but then we have a small one that goes on the landing with multicoloured lights on and multicoloured lights up the bannister. My daughter wants a little tree in her bedroom this year too and some fairy lights so I think I will get some battery powered ones for her too.

Oh all this tree talk is making me feel very festive.

8. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Happy Birthday Edge.

We have 8 trees that we set up but I am thinking about getting 2 tiny trees for the bathrooms. The living room tree is the main tree and is the largest the rest of the tress are 1 to 4 feet tall (living room, kitchen, each of the bedrooms and my hubby's man cave)

9. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Happy Birthday, Edge, to you
    Our very favorite Hangout guru
    Into your age we will not delve
    Happy Birthday, Edge612!

I miss doing these birthday poems!

Minta, Edge612, Skippy1707 and 2 others like this.
  10. shrcpark

I love Christmas trees that light up on the ride home from work. I sometimes leave work when it is dark outside and I can see the houses lining the road plug in their lights. I also like riding around the neighborhoods and listen to the music playing while the Christmas trees light up the yard. I am so excited about Christmas coming.

Happy Birthday Edge.

Minta, Edge612, Skippy1707 and 2 others like this.
  11. Skippy1707

I love walking round and seeing all the houses lit up - We drive down to see my sister in the winter with christmas songs playing and looking at all the decorations - I love it.

12. Edge612

Thank you George! I know MMC makes most of us feel like we're all 10 years old still.
    And good poem!

Rich and Minta like this.
  13. Edge612

THURSDAY, JUNE 13, 2019
    Happy Approaching Summer! 1 week from today we'll be finishing up spring and officially heading into summer. Today we talk about another vital Christmas topic celebrating being Halfway to December by talking about Christmas Family Time!

Sometimes life feels like it's a big fast race around a track. We're all racing and running around. And sometimes that includes many of our own family members not spending a lot of time with us. We're all busy. But when Christmas comes? Everyone and everything stops. We all get together. We all have fun. We all do our traditions. We all revert to being 10 years old. We all find the joy. We all STOP. For once. We stop. And that' s a great thing about Family Time during the holidays. It's one of those rare times where everything stops. Nobody moves forward. And we make memories to last a lifetime. It's special. There's not really any other time of the year that has that much family time as the holidays do. And it's just another reason that the Christmas Season is the most special season of all. How does Family Time compare for you during the holiday season vs. the rest of the year? Let us know today in the Hang Out!

As we head towards summer we will do some serious summer topics. July 1-12 is pretty much going to be all summer topics. Till then we have Christmas topics continuing to celebrate Halfway. And July 13th starts our "50 Day Preview of the Bers." There's your Hang Out Summer Schedule. Have a great Approaching Summer Day!​

Rich and Minta like this.
  14. Skippy1707

I don't think Wales has had Spring yet! We are currently in the midst of torrential rain and flood warnings here! and the last week has felt very Autumnal! Roll on some sunshine!

Family time for me at Christmas is probably my favourite thing. Every year we have a big get together at my sisters house and have party food. My dad comes down with his wife (my step mum) , My Nan comes over too before she heads back with my dad to his for Christmas. I get to see my 4 nieces, my mother stops in to say hello and my husband, me and my two kids are there. Occasionally my auntie, my 3 cousins and her new baby will hopefully stop in this year too so it will be a real occasion to enjoy.
    Ordinarily I will see my father maybe twice a year, my mother I see maybe 3/4 times and my Nan I see maybe twice too so it is lovely when I get the chance to catch up with them.

My husbands side have also started to do a little get together at Christmas / new year too which is nice as we have that as an event in our calendar too and we are actually going over there this weekend for his cousins daughters 16th birthday party BBQ so it will be nice to catch up.

sugarmuffin25, Edge612 and Rich like this.
  15. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

We visit several family and friends when we drop off trays/containers of baked goodies. We host Christmas eve dinner with family and friends, Christmas morning breakfast with my dad and step mom, Christmas dinner with family and we host another day with hubby's side of the family (siblings, dad and his dad's girlfriend and her kids). It's great seeing all the kids playing and enjoying Christmas together.

16. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Yes, Christmas time is the one time when you want to time to stand still and enjoy the day and not wishing time away!

sugarmuffin25, Minta, Edge612 and 2 others like this.
  17. shrcpark

Being still and quiet is one of my favorite parts of Christmas.

sugarmuffin25, Minta, Edge612 and 2 others like this.
  18. Edge612

FRIDAY, JUNE 14, 2019
    Happy Final Friday of Spring! Summer starts next Friday. That is awesome. What else is awesome is being "Halfway to Christmas Month" and we continue to celebrate that by talking about Christmas Season Food!

Food. We all love it don't we? And we love it during most of the year. But when the Christmas Season comes, just like most things, the food gets BETTER! Oh yeah all the food is awesome. Not just the amount but the special kinds of it. It really all kicks off with our big Thanksgiving Dinners. And then it continues for a month. All the holiday cookies and desserts. The parties you get food at. All the holiday meals you prepare. We have our major Christmas Eve Dinner. We have lots of good food on the way. It's different than the rest of the year. The food expands and maybe so do our waists a little. I enjoy the strufoli we have and the shrimp. These are things we don't eat a lot of during the year. Holiday foods. What's your favorite(s) that you have that you don't have as much during the other times of year? And how much food do you eat more in December than the other 11 months? Tell the Hang Out you Foodies!

I know the saying is that you should eat to live not live to eat. But during the month of December I think it becomes a combination of both for many of us. Have a great Final Friday of Spring!​

Minta and Rich like this.
  19. Skippy1707

I really struggle to behave at Christmas - especially with the tins of chocolates that we have here in the UK. My favourite is strawberry dreams and orange Cremes.......which is strange because any other time of the year the thought of fruit and chocolate is a big no no for me.
    The other thing we make a lot of is Welsh Cakes because not only are they easy to make but they are a well received gift as well so we take those with us when we go.

This year though I am planning on some homemade shortbread with the kids and I'm hoping to try and make some peppermint cremes for my mother as she loves them to put in her bag of bits :)
    Also if my tablet making goes well I will make some for husband too as a treat for him and I have heard that honeycomb is easy to make as well.

The only food thing I detest at Christmas is making parsley sauce for my husbands Christmas dinner - he doesn't really eat it any other time of the year but likes to have it with gammon at Christmas - yuck!

20. Rich

From Thanksgiving thru the new year, my gluttony runs amuck. I usually put on around 10 pounds of weight that takes about 10 months to lose. But as I get older losing weight becomes harder and harder. I especially love all the Christmas sweets. Buckeyes (small chocolate covered peanut butter balls) are my favorite. But what really gets me are my chocolate chip cookies. I used to make 400-500 cookies right before Thanksgiving for the whole family to enjoy. They would last beyond the new year for several weeks. But now that it's just the Wife and I at the house, I've cut it back to 200-300. I'm thinking I'll have to cut it back even further this year. My belly is starting to look like Santa's.
    @zipped