Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

The first NFL Sunday of the year seems like a holiday to me! I don't watch any other sports. I do like college football but I usually only watch the Buckeyes play. I can, however, watch ANY NFL game that is on. These next 16 Sundays go so quickly and I plan to enjoy each one of them to the fullest! Fun snacks will be prepared, the TV on and ready, and me usually screaming and cheering as I text (ok trash talk!) all the other family members in our fantasy football league is what I am looking forward to!

missiechick, Rich, ballcoach and 2 others like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Football on the TV all day today!

3. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2019
    Happy Settling Into September! Yeah no more holidays, summer vacations or anything for most of us. 5 day work weeks ahead. And that's ok. It's all part of the process of Settling into September. Let's discuss it!

Happy Settling Into September! We now are into the hardcore run from Post-Labor Day week right through the upcoming Halloween Season and right towards Thanksgiving. That's kind of what this long road ahead is. Most of us don't have many (if any) week days off now for a long time. But that's ok. Why? Because it's part of the road of going towards the holidays again. And that's when we'll all have time off. And it makes it more special. And I have to tell you being in the Bers is even better when you go to work. And it makes the weekends more special when you work a full week. Am I convincing you this is a good thing? I hope so. It is. Trust me. And it's more fun to drive to work during the Bers and go home after work than it is the rest of the year. It just is a little better than normal. That's what the Bers does. It makes everything a little better than normal. And soon we'll be watching more Halloween shows and eventually Christmas shows. Nothing like being at work thinking of going home after and watching a holiday show. Best feeling in the world. How do you feel about Settling Into September!? Tell us today in the Hang Out where we work 7 days a week!

I don't mind going to work every day during this long stretch. I rather take the time off during the summer and the holidays. I actually love the road we're on and it does make the weekends even better. Have a great Settling Into September Day!​

ballcoach, missiechick, Rich and 3 others like this.
  4. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I enjoy the weekend in the 'Bers. I like to cool weather, the heat is pretty much passed in my neck of the woods by mid to late September. I do no like the darkness when we fall back 1 hours. I would really like it very much if NJ removes that all together. The fall foliage is like nature fireworks.

missiechick, Edge612, Rich and 2 others like this.
  5. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

We're due for a couple of blistering summer like days (highs in the 90's) this Tuesday and Wednesday here in the 'Burgh... but, Fall starts in 14 days! Happy thoughts!

missiechick, Edge612, Rich and 2 others like this.
  6. Minta

Since I work for a school district i have a couple more days off between now and Thanksgiving plus I will be taking a few vacations days (a day and a day there). Can't wait for the fall weather to arrive and stay! Longing for chilly days and even chillier nights :)

missiechick, Edge612 and Rich like this.
  7. Edge612

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2019
    Happy Double Digits September! We definitely have settled into this month now of September. The weather is still settling itself though. This is always common this time of year. Let's discuss September Weather!

We have settled into this month of September. But the weather? It hasn't settled yet. It's kind of back and forth still. The one thing I notice is that evenings are cooler than they were in the hardcore summer. Our day times though go up and down. Mostly mild/warm still but nothing too oppressive. We actually have a warm week this week. But even when it's warm/humid in September it doesn't feel as bad as it did in July and August. The sun is a little less strong this time of year as opposed to then also. This causes the warm weather to feel warm but not quite as hot. I guess it's kind of like how in January when you go outside and the sun is shining bright without any wind it feels decent but you can't feel the sun's strength like you can in the spring, summer or even autumn. Weather is interesting. Personally I hope soon it will feel like Autumn. And I'm hoping we have a nice Autumn also. I don't need extreme cold or snow any time soon. But I also hope it cools off a little more consistently soon. How's your weather in September? Tell the Hang Out!

I definitely enjoy parts of all 4 seasons but Autumn always seems to have the best weather for me. I would say the 1st 2/3 of Autumn at least. After that it gets a little too cold for my liking. Have a great Double Digits September!​

Minta and missiechick like this.
  8. Rich

Rich Fruit Cake Baker MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

We're still in summer mode. Mid 90's most days. The 15 day forecast still shows daytime highs of 90 or more. Oh, well. I still have high hopes for October. :)

Edge612, Minta and missiechick like this.
  9. missiechick

missiechick Will Work for Coffee MMC Lifer

Yesterday was an overcast windy day and we made it to 63F. Today it will rain on and off with a high of 81F. Truly Wisconsin weather. I love the cool dry days that are coming. :)

Edge612, Minta and Rich like this.
  10. homefortheholidays

homefortheholidays Tinsel Straightener MMC Premiere Member

It is still burning up in Georgia.

11. sugarmuffin25

It is going to be near 90 for the next 3 days. I HATE that weather in July and I sure don't appreciate it in September! Hopefully it won't last long!

12. Minta

in the past week we have had temperature highs running from the upper 60s to 90 they are calling for tomorrow. I am over the 80s and 90s temps I want temps in the 60s and 70s

Rich, sugarmuffin25 and Edge612 like this.
  13. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2019
    Happy Mid-September Mid-Week! We're moving right towards the middle of the month of September. Today is a big day because it's 9-11. And we will reflect for a moment today on what it's meaning is for many of us!

9-11. This date will always be remembered for what happened in 2001. And it's something many of us will never ever forget. To be blunt it was the worst day that I've ever experienced in my life. And I know many of you will agree with that. After all the trials and tribulations we face in life none of us ever experienced anything like what we did on this date 18 years ago. It was something that affected thousands and millions of people across the country and even the world. I was at my community college that morning when I turned on my little radio and heard something was happening at the twin towers. I heard a plane had hit it. I was listening to Imus. And then I saw a girl crying in the hallway because she couldn't reach her parents who worked in that area. It started to hit me how big this was. As the day progressed it felt like a movie. That's how I think of that day. When I saw a plane fly over head even near my home for the next several weeks I would always look up at it wondering if it was ok. Scary stuff. Your thoughts on 9-11 and memories of it? God bless all of those who perished in that tragedy! Tell the Hang Out your memories and thoughts on 9-11!

I will never forget this date. It was a perfectly sunny day in the area and an early Bers Day. It was supposed to be a great day on that Tuesday. But it turned out to be one of the worst. Never forget. Have a great Mid-September Mid-Week!​

Rich and Minta like this.
  14. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

It was a beautiful, perfect September day ... and it became one of the worst in U.S. history. My workplace stayed open. Between jobs I tried to follow the news on the Internet, but so many people were doing that, often the page wouldn't refresh, and I bounced around to different websites to try to get the latest. When it became apparent that more than one plane had been weaponized, I worried about how many more attacks there would be. I began to fear that the terrorists would crash-land a plane on a busy highway somewhere. I saw rumors that Camp David, which is not far from my hometown, was a target. At the end of the day, everyone had the feeling that the country---the world---would never be quite the same as it was before. It was the Pearl Harbor of my generation. Hard to believe it was 18 years ago.

ballcoach, Rich, Minta and 2 others like this.
  15. sugarmuffin25

I was on vacation that week as my roommate that I had back then and I were moving into a new place. A delivery man arrived early in the morning to bring a piece of furniture and asked us if we had heard the news. I spent the next 7 days solid glued to the TV in horror. My friend finally made me stop watching the coverage because it was affecting me so deeply. Every year since, including today, I watch the 911 specials they air on different stations even if they are the same ones I watched from previous years. I was lucky enough not to have lost anyone on that awful day that was close to me, but I feel like I need to grieve and remember and never forget each year as those who had lost friends and family. So I watch the shows and cry (as I already was this morning) and send prayers for all those affected who are still here and have to find the courage to get through this day year after year.

ballcoach, SnowflakeMom, Rich and 2 others like this.
  16. Minta

I was on my way into work when it came across the radio and I remember exactly where I was at on that sunny day. My job let us go early that and I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV. All of the this was unfolding just a couple hours away from me. I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter and we lived across the river from a National Guard air base, my area is in the flight path from that base to other National Guard and Air force bases so we always have military planes, jets and helicopter fly over head. I vividly remember the fear I instantly felt whenever I heard one of the military planes in the following weeks.

17. Rich

Rich Fruit Cake Baker MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

I was in a long design meeting when everything was unfolding. After our meeting, we entered the office area and everybody was a buzz. I asked someone what was going on, and they said "You haven't heard?". After they told me, I went straight to the break room to see it on TV. After the second plane hitting the other tower was reported, I quickly put 2 and 2 together and new this was no accident. After more reports came in about other flights being hi-jacked, all I wanted to do was go get my wife and kids and get them home where I could protect them. What a horrible day. I couldn't believe how many people were in church the following Sunday.

18. Edge612

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2019
    Happy Stress-less September! What? That actually is our topic for today. What do I mean by that phrase though? I'll explain in a moment. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their September. There's one nice thing about it too!

Happy Stress-less September! I am realizing why I love this month very much. When you think about it well it's the only Bers month without one of our "Big 3" holidays in it. And it's the warmest one of the Bers months also (when most of us are craving cooler/autumn weather). So why is September so great? Because its stress-less. It's like we "made it" without having "made it" to where everything is pressure. No worries about getting ready for Halloween yet. No worries about picking out our Thanksgiving turkey. No worries about Christmas shopping. No running around. It's almost like an extended summer month yet it feels so different and much better. And we feel so closer to those 3 special months with the 3 big holidays. It's just kind of the sweet spot of the year. That's what September is. September Sweet Spot. Your thoughts on the feeling you get in September and does it feel different than the "Big 3" holiday months to you in a good way knowing they are still ahead of us but we're in a stress-less month while being so close to them? Tell the Hang Out!

Stress-less. It feels good. That's one reason why I love summer. And September does carry some of that forward. I think this month has become more and more special to me for the reasons I listed above the last few years. Have a great Stress-less September!​

19. sugarmuffin25

I never looked at it that way, but I guess you are right; September is pretty stress-free! All of the anticipation of the great things to come minus the "work" (although I don't think most of us look at it as work!) September does allow us a nice 30 days to ease into the best time of the year without making too many demands!

Minta and Edge612 like this.
  20. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Our daughter's baby shower is next Saturday. My wife is a *little* stressed.

Minta, sugarmuffin25 and Edge612 like this.