Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. Today's daily post will be a little bit of information on the history of Halloween. Sometimes we live in the present without realizing how things came to be. Some of you may know lots more about the history of Halloween than I do but I found a little interesting detail on it while searching.

"Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating. In a number of countries around the world, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people continue to usher in the winter season with gatherings, costumes and sweet treats."

Didn't realize where it originated (or where it's believed to have originated). I'm just glad that it did because as I've said before...before my love for Christmas happened I loved Halloween (and still do to this day) and the Halloween season.
    Have a great day!​

MsRose and NcGunny like this.
  2. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

The original Witch look. [​IMG]

MsRose, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  3. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. I'm a fan of maps/graphs etc. Last week I found an interesting one from 2015 showing the most popular Halloween candies. Today I bring you a map showing the most popular Halloween costumes according to their official website. Very interesting colorful grid. What does this map say for your state in terms of popularity?
    WEDNESDAY.jpg
    I am thinking of getting Rollins a costume and dressing him up. Not sure if he's going to like it though if I do that. I never did that with Nitro but it might be fun and just add to the Halloween fun this year. Have a great mid-week everyone!​

4. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Entire states dressed up like Richard Simmons and Colonel Sanders?!? Brrrrr!

MsRose and Edge612 like this.
  5. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I think that is a great idea. What are you thinking about dressing him up as?

6. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I was at Pet Valu the other day and they had so many costumes for dogs. Rollins will look so cute!

7. Edge612

Not sure but you'll see it if I do trust me.

MsRose and Festive Spirit like this.
  8. Edge612

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. I'm not a big apps person but I know some people are. This morning's daily post is a link to 30 Halloween Apps. I don't have many apps on my phone but maybe I should try some of these out being such a big fan of Halloween. See the link below. Let me know if you try any of these and how you like them, if you do.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/halloween-ios-android-apps/

Have a great day everyone. Tomorrow's post is something to look forward to not because it's something so special but because it will be FRIDAY! :)

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  9. George Broderick Jr.

You have phone apps... and now restaurants are calling appetizers "apps"... I'm so confused!?! o_O

MerryCarey and Edge612 like this.
  10. Edge612

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2016
    Good morning everyone. And especially a good FRIDAY morning. Today's post breaks down the Halloween economy. Interesting to see how costumes, candy and decorations are all pretty closely evenly split in terms of spending dollars. I'm a little surprised actually that the decorations spending is almost as much as candy! Everyone I know buys Halloween candy but not many buy decorations for it. Of course the price of decorations as opposed to candy will usually be more also.

FRIDAY.png
    Anyway, hope you enjoyed this week's posts. Look forward to the weekend as I know you are. Have a great Friday!​

Festive Spirit and MerryCarey like this.
  11. WintersElf

WintersElf Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

we dont do nothing here in our parts for halloween...oh wait..the buisnesses do a trunk and treat at the park for kids..they dress there trunks up for halloween and wear costumes and hand out candy to the children..

Edge612 likes this.
  12. Edge612

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. Back to another awesome October weekend and back with a few Halloween memories for the weekend. Today's post is a more recent memory as about 5 years ago we had a snowstorm right before Halloween and the kids dressed up in their costumes out in the streets trick or treating were having snowball fights on Halloween night. It was very surreal as it looked like Christmas more than Halloween out. Was kind of a very cool crossover between the 2 holidays. I don't ever recall walking in snow as a kid on Halloween so it is a very rare thing to happen in our area. Loved seeing it though for once. Who wouldn't want to see Batman vs. Robin in a snowball fight? Or a Ninja Turtle vs. a witch? Well on that Halloween night you could see it if you walked around the area. Have an awesome Saturday.​

Festive Spirit likes this.
  13. Edge612

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. A nice Sunday morning to one and all. Today's post is another Halloween memory I have and it concerns my favorite costume that I ever wore as a kid. I dressed up as Batman. It had a really cool cape and mask. I remember getting dressed on Halloween night and how excited I was to dress up as him. I think we all remember that one costume that we wore as a kid that we were so excited to dress up as. It's funny because I honestly couldn't tell you half the costumes I wore as a kid as it was more about the experience, aura, trick or treating, candy and fun than the actual costume I wore. But that one definitely sticks out to me as I felt it was cool to be Batman as a kid. I do know another costume that I wore was Hulk Hogan one year. It's interesting to think back on and see what you can remember from the past sometimes and how clear (or not clear it is). Have a great day and enjoy the remainder of the weekend!​

14. Edge612

MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. Today's post to start the new week is a list of the top 10 Haunted Houses for 2016. Below you will find the list. Most of them I have never heard of but I found it interesting to read about. They are all over the country/world too. Not sure I'd be brave enough to go to any of them. Anyone ever visit any Haunted Houses on this list or in general? Curious because I have never really gone to one other than amusement park ones. Anyway, here is the list.

TOP 10 HAUNTED HOUSES 2016

10.) EDGE OF SCARY
    9.) THE DARKNESS
    8.) TERROR BEHIND THE WALLS
    7.) FEAR FARM & PHOENIX HAUNTED HAYRIDE
    6.) TERROR ON THE FOX
    5.) HAUNTED OVERLOAD
    4.) THE ASYLUM HAUNTED HOUSE
    3.) NETHERWORLD
    2.) THE HOUSE OF TORMENT
    1.) 13TH FLOOR HAUNTED HOUSE

To the brave, and the not so brave hope you all have a great Monday and start to the new week. The month of Halloween continues for 2 more weeks after today. I will continue to try to post Halloween related posts each day right through Halloween. Hope you all enjoy some chocolate today to help you through your Monday!​

Festive Spirit likes this.
  15. George Broderick Jr.

And, depending on your viewpoint, after November 8th, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue could be the SCARIEST house of all! :eek:

Martine, NcGunny, Holiday and 3 others like this.
  16. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Hahaha!! So true!

Holiday and Edge612 like this.
  17. Edge612

Very funny and true!

18. Edge612

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2016
    Good Morning everyone. Continuing in the spirit of Halloween this October, today's post is about witches. Just some interesting facts about them that you may already know or perhaps don't. ​

1.) Not all Witches were Women (some were men).
    2.) Most who were accused of being witches were more poor and elederly women.
    3.) Not all Witches were bad (who can forget Glinda the Good Witch in Wizard of Oz).
    4.) The word "Witch" is of indeterminate origin, that is there is no known origin of the word.
    5.) The Salem Witch Trials started in Salem Villiage now known as Danvers.

Number 3 brings back good memories because "Wizard of Oz" was one of my favorite, most magical movies that I often watched as a kid. Always loved it and haven't seen it in forever. Also, I had heard in the past that those who were accused to be witches were sometimes men. Not something we envision when we think of a witch normally. Anyway, I never really was afraid of witches as much as other monsters (like Frankenstein) but there was always an interesting mystery to them. It's always a safe and good costume to go to if you aren't sure what to dress up for this Halloween. Have a good Tuesday and keep an eye to the sky for any flying broomsticks that may be overhead this time of year especially!​

19. George Broderick Jr.

Case in point...

[​IMG]

20. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

There is a populace of people that collect "Dark Arts" books. Witch (haha) is funny because some 98% of all accused witches were illiterate. That being said...the Vatican holds the oldest known written demonic (witch craft) scroll known to man. Of course it cant be viewed by the public and per their usual wording. "It is held in trust for the future of mankind" if I remember correctly it is written on maybe calf skin and was purloined from some king.