Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I agree the pickings are getting slim for for Christmas items. I did pick up some more wrapping paper, it was 75% off.

Edge612 and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

The Walmart in my town still had a lot of Christmas trees and gift boxes left .. all at 90% off. Hallmark has their Christmas marked down to 75% off, picked up new ornaments for the kids.

Rich and Edge612 like this.
  3. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

TUESDAY, JANUARY 14, 2020
    Happy Hanging on to January Mildness! It's still around but it won't last too much longer. We have to enjoy the fairly mild conditions we still have. Know what I started doing? A really cool thing similar to what our own George mentioned Hallmark is doing!

George told us last week or so that Hallmark plans on doing a Christmas show every single Friday night of the year. That's a really cool idea and I had a similar one except mine is a Sunday thing. I've decided to watch 1 Christmas show every single Sunday through the year. And I started that here in January. Of course, right now it feels fresh and appropriate with Christmas lights still being around and us being in the dead of winter. But soon I wonder how it will feel in the months ahead. I have gone the last several years without really watching a lot of "off-season" Christmas shows. I usually get into spring and summer and drop the whole Christmas viewing. But this year I'm going to keep it going. Have you seen any of Hallmark's Christmas shows yet on Fridays? And which ones do you enjoy the most? Tell us today in the Hang Out!

If an apple a day keeps the doctor away then I'd say a Christmas show a week is a great new streak. It's something to give you a little Christmas every week. That's why I started it on Sundays. Have a great Hanging on to January Mildness Tuesday!​

Minta, Rich, SnowflakeMom and 2 others like this.
  4. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Christmas will be even more special this year!

5. shrcpark

My family was able to decorate the outside and inside of our house during the Christmas season. We wanted to for many years. However, it was not possible. My husband and I made 2 different types of cookies and delivered them to various family members. I am going to decorate my cube for Christmas and we are going to a Christmas tour in a neighboring Victorian town as well. I am grateful for the old and new traditions.

6. shrcpark

One of my best moments was going out Black Friday shopping with my daughter at 10:00 pm at night. It was exciting and scary at the same time. So many people out and the traffic was so busy. I also enjoyed wishing my parents a Merry Christmas. We have not been in contact for so many years now. Another moment was from two days before Christmas until January 2nd. I would like to have all that time off again and be with my family. The final one is the day after Thanksgiving to the day after January 2nd. The spirit of Christmas was all over my state.

7. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

"I've decided to watch 1 Christmas show every single Sunday through the year."

And, apparently, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is showing Christmas movies every Thursday night this year... so that only leaves you four days a week to fill!

8. Minta

I am putting myself on a Christmas movie/music ban until Nov 1st with the exception of CIJ. I am finding out the hard way that II am too much of a good thing can ruin it for me kind of person. 2 years ago I listened to Christmas music a lot during the year so when Dec rolled around and the Christmas music was on the radio I just wasn't into listening to it as much. This past year I didn't start listening until mid Nov and I really enjoyed Christmas music and listened to it daily. Also I watched a ton of Christmas movies this past Oct and Nov that by mid Dec I was kind of burnt out on them especially the Hallmark ones.

9. Dudley

Dudley Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I can appreciate this post. I would NEVER admit it to the family, but I too reach a point that it's time for a change if I start too early. I'm always a month ahead - August I'm ready for Autumn. October ready for Christmas. However, around April I will start listening to Christmas music, but only on the 25th of each month.

You can enjoy Christmas all year long without living Christmas all year long.

10. Minta

I still enjoy Christmas all year by doing other Christmas related things.. I have a few Christmas puzzles and Christmas themed word search books, a couple Christmas books that I haven't read yet, work on homemade Christmas gifts and make ornaments and test new cookie recipes to what will be used for Christmas.

DecemberisComing, Edge612 and Dudley like this.
  11. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I am the same way! No Christmas music until November 1st unless I am making a trip to Michigan to go to Bronner's and then I make an exception. I also won't watch any Christmas movies or shows until November 1st. I enjoy letting the excitement build for those things and then by January I am ready to listen to regular music again. I start recording Christmas shows and movies in November and leave them on the DVR through December to watch as many times as I want, but come New Year's Day they get deleted and can't be watched again till November!

12. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2020
    Happy End of 1st Half of January! Oh yea, this is a big day because the end of the 1st half of January happens. And that's always the toughest, in a way. I want to tell you about this Christmas Eve walk I do which I've mentioned before but not gone into detail about!

My Christmas Eve walk happens around 5PM-5:30PM on Christmas Eve. I have mentioned it several times but I haven't mentioned that I take that walk now every week during the year. I take it just at night once or twice a week on a nice evening just to think about Christmas Eve. It's a way for me to keep Christmas Eve alive each week for about 20 minutes after a long day. It's something I enjoy doing very much. It's something I do just to keep Christmas alive because let's be honest as much as it's easy to keep it alive in January it's a lot harder to do that in April or August. It just is. The little things sometimes can help you keep it alive. Even when October comes I become obsessed with Halloween so I'm really not focused on Christmas. This little walk helps me think about it and focus on it each week during the year. Is there something similar you do that keeps Christmas alive? Or is that what MMC is for? This is your "fix"? Tell us today in the Hang Out!

I do enjoy my Christmas Eve walk. I wasn't sure how my first year of taking them on a regular weekly basis would affect it on Christmas Eve 2019 but having gone through the whole year doing that I can tell you it didn't take away from it at all. Have a great End of 1st Half of January!​

13. Rich

Rich Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

The forums are great for keeping the Christmas spirit alive all year. But I also listen to Christmas music and watch Hallmark Christmas movies throughout the year.

14. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

I play it both ways ... there is some Christmas music that I will listen to anytime, but there's certain Christmas music that I save only for the season. It keeps it special!

I have such a huge amount of Christmas music that I miss a lot of it if I don't start listening to some of it in, say, September.

15. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I love to listen Christmas music randomly throughout the year and go through a longer stretch for CIJ.

16. Dudley

Dudley Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

If the mood strikes I'll put on Christmas music at anytime. As mentioned before at some point I will listen to Christmas music on the 25th of each month.

Edge612, sugarmuffin25 and Rich like this.
  17. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

My Christmas music listening is sporadic during the year... but, I start in earnest around mid-September. We watch whatever Christmas movies we didn't get to the past year for CIJ.

18. DecemberisComing

DecemberisComing Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Since joining MMC, I have adopted the habit indulging in any Christmas Music or Movie that strikes me on the 24th of each month, it still make it seem special and never seems too far away.

19. Edge612

THURSDAY, JANUARY 16, 2020
    Happy Middle Day of January! Today is a big day, in a way. We have gone past 15 days of January and have 15 ahead of us with today being the middle day. Let's look back and ahead today in the Hang Out!

January can be a tough month for a Bers fan and holiday lover. It's the month that's the furthest from a new holiday season and Bers season as well. But now we've reached the middle of this month. Looking back I can say I've loved having my tree up and lit. I've enjoyed all the lights in the neighborhood and the sales in the stores have been fun to see. It's just nice to see Christmas stuff still out through the 1st half of January. Looking towards the 2nd half? I can say that I look forward to still seeing some lights up. My tree will come down this weekend though. But I know that some people will still keep their lights on throughout the month. And that will help me in the 2nd half of January. Granted, the 2nd half of January appears to be on a colder track than the 1st half was which may make it a little more difficult to deal with. How has your 1st half of January gone and how do you compare it with what you have to look forward to in the 2nd half of this month? Tell the Hang Out today!

I'm not a big fan of January. I know most of you aren't either. Usually the 1st half of January can be bitterly cold but this year it's been mild and even warm a few days. But either way to me January is January. Have a great Middle Day of January!​

Dudley likes this.
  20. Rich

Rich Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

The second half will be just like the first half except no college football. We're just working and saving money so we can go to some Spring festivals in March and April.

Edge612 and Dudley like this.