Daily Holiday Hangout

Edge612

Christmas Royalty
Premiere Member
Oct 7, 2011
December and January have been mild to warmer temperatures then usual. I was able to walk more this winter then most. I will not miss the month of January. However, I miss Christmas.
I miss Christmas too...but it amazes me we already have gone through a whole month on our way back to the holiday season again.

Reactions: shrcpark

Edge612

Christmas Royalty
Premiere Member
Oct 7, 2011
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2020
Happy February Arrives! And that means folks that January is gone until 2021. I do not miss it. I turned my calendar last night before going to bed. So what do we have to look forward to in February? Let's check it out!

Happy February Arrives! What a great thing it's the weekend and a new month. Did you turn those calendars yet? Well this is a big weekend. We have the Superbowl Sunday! Can you believe it? It seems like the football season just started and somehow it's already ending. But we'll get to the Superbowl talk on Super Sunday. Today I just want to welcome in the month of February. It's the 2nd month of 2020 (already). It will give us Groundhog's Day ironically on Superbowl Sunday. We have 29 days so an extra day of February than normal with leap year happening. We have Presidents day also and who knows maybe a snowstorm or 2 to go this month. And the days will start to get lighter. I have already noticed it in the evenings and now it will become much more noticeable as we progress through this month of February. Are you ready for February? Welcome it in with your thoughts and what you are looking forward to in it today in the Hang Out!

February is here. We can't go back to January and it's time to get ready for the Superbowl and the last "full month" of winter with 29 days as opposed to 28. An extra day to try to enjoy. Have a great February Arrives Weekend!​

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
Looking forward to February..One more step to warmer weather. Looking forward to the Super Bowl. I love the snacks and my friends husband is a huge 49ers fan so it should be fun..

DecemberisComing

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Premiere Member
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I like being able to think that Spring will be here next month!

Reactions: Rich and Edge612

Edge612

Christmas Royalty
Premiere Member
Oct 7, 2011
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2020
Happy Superbowl Sunday! It's here folks. The "Christmas Day" of the football season is here. Today I want to talk about our plans for the Big Game and also talk about the comparison between Christmas Day and Superbowl Sunday!

Happy Superbowl Sunday! The Christmas of the Football Season is here. Can you believe it? It's the culmination of the football season just like Christmas is the culmination of the Christmas Season. And it's a great thing. A party will be had by us and I'm sure many of you will have some food, chips, dips and other goodies. I'm looking forward to it. And what else? It feels like a holiday today. It does. And it really feels special even if you aren't a football fan. Go to a supermarket today and you'll get thoughts back to the month of December where people would be getting ready for Christmas Eve/Day preparations the week before. That's how it feels. Oh and I hope we get a good game today. Predictions? I've got the 49ers winning 27 to 24 over the Chiefs in a close but good game. I'm hoping for that because my brother is a 49ers fan. How about you? Predictions for the game? And what are your plans for Superbowl Sunday? Tell us today in the Hang Out!

It's all here now folks. The end of the football season. I hope you all enjoy the party atmosphere. It's almost a bit like New Years Eve. It's a fun time. Have a great Superbowl Sunday!​

DecemberisComing

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Premiere Member
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
My nephew-in-law is a huge 49ers fan and he and my niece are having a party, I am going to go and help with the food and set-up and will stay for kick-off, but doubt I will stay for much of the game. But I do agree with Edge, I have been vicariously enjoying the build up to the big game, and it does remind of the feeling we have in December! I am sure it is always like this, but I have noticed it a lot more this year.

Reactions: Rich

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Niners fan here ... not having a party but will be making sausage sandwiches and English muffin pizzas for the game. My daughter made cupcakes and I am debating making a Banana cream pie.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Same thing I do every year. I ignore it. I'll watch a movie instead.

Super Bowl? BAH, HUMBUG!
That goes for us, too. We just don’t “do” football! But sometimes we’ll watch a movie with football in it on Super Bowl Sunday.

Edge612

Christmas Royalty
Premiere Member
Oct 7, 2011
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2020
Happy February Week! Yes, the weekend may be over and the Superbowl is over. But you know what else is over is something we didn't really talk about. It's about a furry little creature known as the Groundhog!

How was your Superbowl Sunday? Hopefully it went well but what about the furry little creature we failed to talk about? Of course, I'm talking about the Groundhog and his weather predictions for an early spring or an extended winter. To be honest, I don't think we've had much of a winter so even if we do get 6 "more" weeks it's really more like "6 weeks" total. The winter has been pretty tame, calm and mild here. And I know a lot of people have said the same about their area of the country. But no matter, I always find it interesting how to some places Groundhog's Day is a real big thing. It's almost like Christmas to them (Dare I say Blasphemy?). But it's amazing how they turn it into a whole event. Do I believe in it? No. It's just for fun. It's kind of like Halloween. I don't believe there are real zombies when I go to my Halloween trail but I get caught up in the atmosphere and it's total fun. And that's ok. So for those who do get caught up on February 2nd in Groundhog's Day let them. Meanwhile, I'll turn on my local weather person and see what they say about the weather to come!

I may not care much for the Groundhog or his predictions but I respect anyone who enjoys their own traditions. By the way, I have Superbowl Party leftovers tonight :). Have a great February Week!​

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Groundhog Day ... when one of your agency's creatives wants to mention Punxsutawney Phil in an ad, and you find out they can't because the name is trademarked ...

It's fun to remember Groundhog Day, but I always feel terrible for the various community groundhogs being hauled out of their cozy homes at the crack of dawn to face the noise and lights of the publicity machine. Whatever became of the original tradition? Originally, it was believed groundhogs would emerge from their holes at noon on Feb. 2---voluntarily---to foretell a late or early spring. If we don't get an early spring after all, that will be the Revenge of the Groundhog.

Reactions: Edge612 and Rich

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
The whole Groundhog Day thing always confused me (and I only live 30 miles or so away from Punxsutawney)… I mean, if Phil SEES his shadow, that means it's SUNNY out. How is that indicative of MORE winter?
The way it was told to me, if he sees his shadow, he's frightened by it and runs back into his den---consequence, 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see his shadow, he isn't frightened, and begins his spring routine. Sounds silly, but there you are!

According to the History Channel, it's actually a Candlemas thing; if it's a sunny day on Candlemas, there will be more winter---if a groundhog sees his shadow, it's sunny.

Kinda like if it rains on St. Swithin's Day, it'll be a rainy summer.

Here's the full info: https://www.history.com/news/groundhog-day-history-and-facts

Dudley

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Premiere Member
Sep 20, 2019
Southern California
The way it was told to me, if he sees his shadow, he's frightened by it and runs back into his den---consequence, 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see his shadow, he isn't frightened, and begins his spring routine. Sounds silly, but there you are!

According to the History Channel, it's actually a Candlemas thing; if it's a sunny day on Candlemas, there will be more winter---if a groundhog sees his shadow, it's sunny.

Kinda like if it rains on St. Swithin's Day, it'll be a rainy summer.

Here's the full info: https://www.history.com/news/groundhog-day-history-and-facts
Thank you!!

Edge612

Christmas Royalty
Premiere Member
Oct 7, 2011
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2020
Happy 2nd Half of Winter! That's what today is folks. Today starts the 2nd half and we will compare it to the 1st half. Let's talk about it because it feels nice to be over the hump when it comes to winter!

Winter is my least favorite of the 4 seasons (ironically even though Christmas Eve/Day always fall in early winter). But overall I just can do without it. I love spring, summer and autumn (by far). But winter is just...almost a bit of a necessary evil to me. But now that we're at halftime and heading into the 3rd quarter of winter I can say that if the 2nd half is anything like the 1st half was I'll take it. It almost feels like borderline spring half of the time this winter. We have had very little bitter cold weather. We have not had much snow at all. The ground has been bare for the most part since Mid-December. And there hasn't been any shoveling or snow blowing done. It's been a great 1st half of the winter, as far as I'm concerned. Will the 2nd half be the same? Most likely it will be mild I'm hearing still so I'll take it. But I don't count out Mother Nature yet and the fact she can throw us a curve ball at any moment. How was your 1st half of winter and how do you expect the 2nd half to go? Tell us today in the Hang Out!

I'm not rushing the 2nd half of winter. It feels easier to deal with knowing that spring isn't terribly far away now. But we still have a ways to go in winter. Let's hope it doesn't strike too badly. Have a great 2nd Half of Winter!​

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
I am a summer fan! I hope we don't have too bad of a 2nd part of winter but I am expecting at least one storm but I can deal with that.