Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Good Morning, Edge!! Last year we did a deep fried one and regular roasted one in the oven. Deep Fried is so good but I do like them both!

Holiday, CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  2. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2016
    Happy Election Day! You won't find any opinions or election news on this thread (or this site thankfully). But I have a little theme for today's post as we slowly but surely head towards one of the best days of the year Thanksgiving. A lot of people over the years (football fans especially) have said should the Cowboys and Lions continue to host home games on Thanksgiving Day or should other teams get a chance? Well first of all let's look at the stats for what year each team started this tradition of theirs.
    LIONS PLAY EVERY THANKSGIVING SINCE 1934
    COWBOYS PLAY EVERY THANKSGIVING SINCE 1966

The Lions have been playing forever on Thanksgiving Day and the Cowboys now for 50 years! I'm a big traditions person as I know many are at MMC. I would never want to see those 2 teams stop playing on Thanksgiving. When I see them on that day I know it's Thanksgiving. It's a big tradition, even if you aren't a huge football fan you could appreciate. Even in years the Lions were bad they often played well on Thanksgiving. I'm glad the last few years there has been no talk of them taking either team off Thanksgiving as there was several years ago. Have a great day!​

3. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota MMC Emeritus Member

Well said. And let's not forget that these two teams agreed to take the games each year to promote the NFL (as well as giving us another reason to gather round') when every other team basically said "no way"! I know many people can easily do without football on Thanksgiving Day, but I have seen as much "family togetherness" around the tube as I have around the table.
    So many traditions seem to be swept away in America these days, so let's keep the few that remain. The other NFL teams only started to complain when they saw the huge revenue that those games now garner. To them I say quit crying! You made your decisions and now be adults and live with the results.
    NFL Thanksgiving.jpg

Holiday and Edge612 like this.
  4. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Since we're on a Thanksgiving roll, here's a joke:

Q: What do you get when you throw a jail guard in the dumpster behind the barber shop?

A: Turnkey with all the trimmings.

5. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2016
    Good Morning! Hope everyone is happy and healthy this Wednesday. Today's post continues the Thanksgiving theme with one of my personal favorite traditions (not only of Thanksgiving but of the entire year). What is that? The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! I've never been to one live but it's a tradition to have it on my t.v. on Thanksgiving morning like it is for many of us. And this year is a special 90th anniversary of it. That's a long time and again just like yesterday's post shows how Thanksgiving is such a huge traditional day in so many ways. I think the way the parade closes with Santa showing up is awesome and signifies to the entire world that the Christmas season (for them) has begun. A lot of work goes in to that parade and I think so many people really do love it. It's hard to believe that in just over 2 weeks we will get to experience this again but it is true that Thanksgiving is coming faster than a locomotive train right now. Have a great and awesome November day everyone!​

Holiday and CGYager like this.
  6. CGYager

Something a few people may not know is that many of the balloons used in the Macy's Parade make their way down to Universal Orlando for their parades.

missiechick, Holiday and Edge612 like this.
  7. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

This is the picture I used to send my family the invite to our house for Thanksgiving supper! :D Love it!

missiechick, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  8. Holiday

Parts of Indiana actually didn't start observing daylight savings time until maybe 10 years ago - give or take. It was odd b/c we could drive less than 30 minutes & gain an hour. We were always on the same time in the summer, but an hour off in the winter. (if I remember right)

Edge612 likes this.
  9. Holiday

I would take that extra hour every day of the year - that is, IF it's AFTER working hours! :p
    We didn't do anything extra special with our extra hour. Just enjoyed the beautiful weather outside & made chili over the fire at a friends house/building.

Edge612 likes this.
  10. Holiday

We roast 1 turkey & smoke at least 2 turkey "rolls" Mmmmmm! Can't wait!

SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  11. Holiday

My poor BIL is originally from Detroit & a HUGE fan. He suffered through SO many years. Football is ALWAYS on at our Thanksgiving celebrations.

Edge612 likes this.
  12. Holiday

:D :p

George Broderick Jr. and Edge612 like this.
  13. Holiday

I always feel like a kid again when I see Santa at the end of the parade! Even if I don't have a chance to watch most of the parade, I make sure I see Santa!!!

Edge612 likes this.
  14. Edge612

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2016
    Good Thursday Morning! Today we continue with the daily post having a Thanksgiving theme as it has all week. When you think of Thanksgiving (and those 3 days before it) you think of the most busy travel days of the year (even more so than Christmas). It seems like everyone goes away for Thanksgiving. I don't luckily as my family is all local for it. But reading about this upcoming Thanksgiving the predictions are that travel is expected to be up 2.5%. There's nothing like going home for the holidays is there? I experience that more during Christmas when my brother flies here from San Diego. Always feels special for him and for us. And for those traveling this Thanksgiving hopefully it will be safe and good weather conditions. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is 2 weeks from today. Better enjoy today because it's coming really fast and that turkey, stuffing and all the preparations will begin really soon!​

CGYager and SnowflakeMom like this.
  15. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

The most amazing three days before Thanksgiving that I remember were when I was in high school. We staged the musical "Peter Pan" that November---flying and everything. On the three days before Thanksgiving, the school bused in elementary school students from all over the county. For three days we were excused from class to do a show in the morning, have lunch, then do a show in the afternoon. Then it was home for Thanksgiving! Lots of magic in those three days---seeing the kids react when four actors were literally flying across the stage!

missiechick, CGYager, Martine and 2 others like this.
  16. SnowflakeMom

It is really hard to believe Thanksgiving is only 2 weeks away....looking forward to a nice relaxing day and of course the food!!;):D

CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  17. Edge612

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2016
    TGIF MMC! More importantly though Happy Veteran's Day and thank you for anyone who served or has family members who did. Today's post continues the all-week long Thanksgiving build with something that has become a pretty big debate/topic the last several years. Stores opening on Thanksgiving (or not opening). I was reading that more stores are actually NOT opening this year or making last minute decisions whether they should or not. I am happy to hear that as personally I do not feel it's fair to the employee's to make them go to work on Thanksgiving. As much as I love Christmas Eve, Christmas Day etc. in the U.S.A. the biggest family day of the year throughout the country has to be Thanksgiving Day. Almost everyone I know celebrates that day with their family more than any other day of the year. We all love buying gifts for Christmas but can't that wait till Black Friday like it always used to? I hope this trend of more stores closing on Thanksgiving continues. I hope everyone has a great Friday as we head into the weekend that begins the Christmas season (which will be the theme for this wekeend).​

18. Martine

Martine Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I can't even imagine having to work on such a huge holiday as Thanksgiving in the US. It would be like working on Christmas here, there would be such an uproar. If stores are closed the day of, people will simply shop the day after, no problem there.

missiechick and Edge612 like this.
  19. SnowflakeMom

I agree...I was so happy to hear about more stores closing as well especially since so much can be done online. People deserve the day to spend with their families.

20. CGYager

I agree Edge. Growing up, the stores were closed on New Years Day, Lincoln's Birthday (now President's Day), Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving along with early close on Christmas Eve and then of course Christmas Day. What many growing up in today's America do not realize is that it is more than the subject of the holiday themselves. It was a day that families could plan to be off from work and enjoy a few "extra" days in the year to celebrate the occasion and family in general. You could decide what you wanted to do for Labor Day (as an example) in January and know you would be free to enjoy the day.
    Now the "mighty" dollar has crept into most of them. Some will still show their independence from greed and close. The rest like to say they are staying open to serve our customers, however when I asked our main offices if that meant they will be there too and set the example, the reply was their offices were different and no they would not be. Oh well, that (in my case) is what "sick" days are for.
    +n