Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

Well said. I think that's why these years days like Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve/Day are so important because all of these other "Holidays" really a lot of people don't even have time to spend with their family. Don't take away the few special ones they have!

missiechick and CGYager like this.
  2. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota MMC Emeritus Member

Amen!!!

3. Edge612

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2016
    It's the weekend MMC! But it's not just any weekend of the year. No...it's a special weekend. Today's post is looking at what today and this weekend are about. Tonight we, at MMC enter the Christmas season 2016. As much as we love Christmas Day itself most of us LOVE just as much (if not more) the entire Christmas season. Do you have any hopes/resolutions for this Christmas season? Mine is definitely to watch more Christmas shows this year during the season and to take one day at a time better. It's so hard not to look ahead and get excited but as we all know as fast as time goes (was just talking to someone yesterday who said forget about weeks/months going fast now it's YEARS that are going by fast) we need to really just enjoy as much as we can every day during this Christmas season. Don't let it get away from you this year. Enjoy it. It's still going to go faster than we want it to but we can't slow down time. It's all about family this time of year, the gifts, the fun, the traditions, the food, the music, the lights, and just how different (and better) the world feels this time of year that is just about to begin. All we can do is get the most out of that time by enjoying it as much as we can. I'm hopeful that everyone at MMC has a great Christmas Season 2016. We're here!​

Martine and CGYager like this.
  4. CGYager

True Edge. Time really flies by and the older we get, the faster it goes. I took my wife to a Chicago concert some time back in Sioux City and bought her a T-Shirt for their world tour. She wanted to wear it last night and talked about how great it was just over a year ago that we went. Then I found the shirt and what was the date...? June 2012. She was floored and could not believe it had been over four years. One of the many reasons I will rarely do overtime at work.
    Thanks for the post.

Time Flies.jpg

MerryCarey and Edge612 like this.
  5. Edge612

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2016
    Merry Christmas Season MMC! November 13th. Just a regular day to most of the world. But to us at MMC we recognize TODAY as being the official beginning of the most wonderful time of year the Christmas Season. Today's post is just some thoughts on what makes this time of year our favorite. To everyone it can be a little different as to the reasons why you love this time of year more than any. I can only tell you for me why it is to me. Often I would ask myself the last many years WHY am I obsessed with Christmas. There's many reasons. This may sound a little sad (it's not meant to be) but 1 reason is I feel it's one of the few things in life that gets better and better each year. For me also coming from a big family (1 of 6) now that we are all in our 20s and 30s we all have our own lives, jobs, friends, hobbies, and even living in different areas (my 1 bro lives in San Diego the rest all locally). But we all are busy doing our "own thing" which is fine and normal but a little sad sometimes. We still do stuff together and see each other all the time. But when this time of year comes? It's like we're kids again. No matter how different we are or our lives/interests are we all share this one common bond of the Christmas season. We do our little traditions together and smile/laugh while doing them as if we were kids again. That's a big reason for me that I love this time of year so much and look forward to it so much. Another reason, on a bigger scale is the world just seems like a better place this time of year. Sure there are some who are scrooges but even they get caught up in the lights, the music, the magic, the festive feeling and the aura of the Christmas season. Everyone seems nicer and happy. It's an awesome time of year that I treasure as all of us do. Enjoy the 1st day of this time of year that we await all year long more than any other. ​

6. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

I was looking at the countdown clock today...I remember when it said 341 days instead of 41. It occurs to me that alot of people just dont get it,but I am fine with that. Over the years I have found out that if I have to go into indepth reasoning of my Christmas nutso self...they will never get it.

7. Edge612

WE get it Gunny. That's the best thing about MMC. We all get it.

missiechick and CGYager like this.
  8. Edge612

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2016
    Good new week and morning. This is the last week before the big Thanksgiving week. The theme all week for the posts will be continuing with Thanksgiving related things. Last week we talked about the centerpiece for many of their Thanksgiving meal...the turkey. But what about all those amazing side dishes that go with the turkey and make it even better? I think the top 3 side dishes for most would be: Stuffing, mashed potatoes & cranberry sauce. Anyone have any other favorites? I personally am not a mashed potato guy but do enjoy stuffing and cranberry sauce very much. Biscuits also has to be at the top of the list but I'm a big bread guy so that makes sense for me. Oh man I'm getting hungry now. About 240 hours from now we'll be starting to prepare our Thanksgiving meals. That's hard to believe isn't it? Have a great day and always appreciate the little things in life just like the sides of your Thanksgiving meal. ​

SnowflakeMom and CGYager like this.
  9. CGYager

Don't forget the green bean casserole or good old corn (on the cob or off). Biscuits are great, but I prefer crescent rolls on turkey day. Not a big sweet potato guy, but I will make it for others if they want it. For me... make way for the turkey and spuds w/gravy.
    turkey-dinner.jpg

missiechick, Edge612 and SnowflakeMom like this.
  10. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

What?? You GOTTA like mashed potatoes!
    Arnold (brand) stuffing, baked in the oven. Brown 'n' serve rolls. Something special for dessert. Oh, that stuffed feeling!

11. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I am with you, Edge. I don't mind mashed potatoes but LOVE stuffing. I cannot believe how fast Thanksgiving is coming up!

missiechick and Edge612 like this.
  12. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. North Pole Resident MMC Lifer MMC Partner Christmas Crew

Cranberries still in the shape of the can they came out of... my sister-in-law calls them "can-berries"!

missiechick and Edge612 like this.
  13. Edge612

Man you are making me so hungry CG.

14. Edge612

I'm weird. I don't like mashed potato, hot dogs or mac & cheese. What kind of American am I?

15. Edge612

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2016
    Morning and Good Tuesday! It's another day into the Christmas Season and of course a day closer to the real start of it all for most of the world Thanksgiving. Today's post is about a new tradition that has started in many places the last several years. It's what they are calling "Turkey Trots." These are basically Thanksgiving traditional walks/runs. As a runner, I certainly like that kind of tradition even though I just do my own run that Thanksgiving morning. But it's a nice and fun little tradition for many people to start off their Thanksgiving. It also gives everyone a chance to burn off some oncoming calories. Ever seen a turkey run? They move pretty quick and especially around Thanksgiving I would think they'd have a little extra speed to want to avoid everyone chasing them. For those partaking in these Turkey Trots on Thanksgiving I hope the weather will cooperate for you. And if you're not entering any of these then you could always get a little exercise in other ways to get your appetite up. Although I don't think that will be a problem for many of us. Have a good day as we continue to "trot" towards turkey day!​

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  16. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

My brother lives in Charlotte and they do a Turkey Trot every year and here we have a huge 5k race that people dress up and they broadcast it locally, it is nice to see all the people!

Holiday and Edge612 like this.
  17. Edge612

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2016
    1 week until the Eve of Thanksgiving. Good morning! Believe it or not we are that close. Today's post is looking at something we talked about last week in more detail. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is having their 90th annual one. It is the biggest parade of the year. Here is a link to a list of the lineup for the parade.

http://social.macys.com/parade/2016/lineup/

Of course many of us love seeing Santa at the end of the parade. Are there any other floats that you enjoy seeing? I always like seeing Bart Simpson and some of the classic cartoon characters. Sometimes I'll see a newer one and not even know who it is and realize I'm getting old and out of touch with what kind of characters are in cartoons these days. It's fun to see everyone out there enjoying the parade though. Hopefully the weather is going to cooperate for it. It's still over a week away but right now the forecast is for a chance of showers and temps in the 40s (seasonable). I know that this parade is one they work on all year long so that's how major of a production it is. Let's hope it turns out great. Definitely one of the best parts of Thanksgiving Day! Have a great Wednesday!

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  18. NcGunny

I have noticed a strange trend lately in the declining holiday displays. We all know retailers are #1 in business to make sales/profits for the holidays. I saw a Thanksgiving display in a store that was like a 1-Stop Shop yesterday,which would have been okay but it was the most generic feeling thing I have ever viewed. It literally didnt even entice me to buy a can of pumpkin. It seems many stores follow this way of thinking. Very basic displays/decorating due to the thinking " Well..they gotta buy it anyways"
    It seems like stores used to entice buyers in with elaborate holiday displays to get them in the mood to buy. Now it has evolved into no effort because they rely on the philosophy of people have to buy it anyways so it doesnt matter. In my opinion their way of thinking only reinforces people to shop online because you get the same feeling as if you walked into a store.--- My soapbox rant of the day..lol

Edge612 likes this.
  19. Edge612

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2016
    1 week till Turkey Day aka Thanksgiving! Hard to believe that isn't it? Exciting times ahead on that day with lots of family, food and of course football. We've talked about all 3 aspects the last couple of weeks. Looking at that last part though football a little more in depth today for today's post of the day. Here's the 3 games that will be on Thanksgiving 2016.
    MINNESOTA AT DETROIT
    WASHINGTON AT DALLAS
    PITTSBURGH AT INDIANAPOLIS

All 6 teams have had at least decent seasons this year thus far. It should be 3 really good games. I am a huge football fan but I know people who aren't who even admit that having the football games on t.v. every year just makes it feel like Thanksgiving. When the NFL schedule is released in April the FIRST thing I do (even before I look at my own favorite team's schedule) is I check out the Thanksgiving Day games lineup. Whether you be a fan of football or not, I know you appreciate traditions, especially during this time of year. You may not be interested in watching the games much (or just be too busy to be able to pay attention to them fully) but just having them on in the background you will know it's truly one of the most special days of the year...Thanksgiving! Have a great Thursday and think about how amazing next Thursday will be!

missiechick and frostyman like this.
  20. NcGunny

Today is oficially "Pick Me up Turkey Day" Just called the store and mine will be ready around 2 p.m.ish!!

missiechick, Holiday, Edge612 and 2 others like this.