Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Do you have a Scrooge?

Discussion in 'Home & Family' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

-surprise-ok, so, not to throw anyone under the bus but......do you have a friend or family member that is a little on the “Scroogy” side? Either they don’t like spending or they don’t like the merriment, or both?

I have a friend that feels Christmas is too commercial and she hates when people start mentioning Christmas too soon. I tone it down a bit, but come November she just has to “deal!”

xmastidings and Holiday like this.
  2. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

My hubbs does not get into the Christmas spirit, or pretty much any spirit. He likes martial arts and is a hard core foodie. But, that is pretty much it. He goes along with what I like to do, and that is fine with me.

3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

I can't really think of one! Although I once worked in a place that stopped putting up a Christmas tree and decorations in the name of diversity. The attitude of "if we can't accommodate everybody, nobody celebrates" is MY Scrooge. (Happily, I now work in a place that had a decoration contest last year!)

4. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I have two. One is a friend. She is one of those who just has a negative attitude toward a lot of things. I don't see her often anymore even though we keep in touch by phone/email so it's easier to avoid her lack of spirit over the holidays. I always send her a Christmas present though and she is always touched by that.

The other person is my mother in law. She complains about everything and acts as though the holidays are such a bother. Even more to my despair, she also 'hates' Hallloween - my other favourite holiday. Now I respect everyone's right to celebrate or not celebrate, I can't judge anyone for just not liking a holiday. However, my mother in law knows how much I adore these holidays so I feel she can at least respect my feelings by not voicing her negativity to me and the kids!!! Last we visited she kept saying how much she hated halloween....probably cause she knows it get's to me lol

I always smile, nod and say nothing.

5. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

I hear you Festive!!
    I have to admit, I do dial it down around my peeps until about November 1. Then I’m as “Christmasloud” as ever. It does bother some people, but hey, I’m more quiet the rest of the year respecting them, so it’s my turn to shine. Lol.

6. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Absolutely !!!!

7. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Sorry you have to deal with that. Keep smiling, it'll drive her nuts!

8. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Awe - that really is too bad!! She should just join in on the fun!! ;)

9. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I can't think of any full bore scrooges, but I have a sister who probably wouldn't even put up a tree if her daughters didn't do it for her b/c they are never home! And my bro/sil in Cape Cod usually don't decorate b/c they come to Ohio for Christmas.. (I would have to decorate anyway... to enjoy the before & after) My friend thinks we are absolutely nuts for watching the CIJ movies on Hallmark, so I always call her a scrooge. LOL!!!!

sugarmuffin25 and xmastidings like this.
  10. novelist

novelist Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer

My sister has seemed to have gotten out of the Christmas spirit in recent years. She is married, an they don't put up a Christmas tree any longer. She has a beautiful Christmas Village she doesn't put up either. Her children are grown and out of the house, but it surprises me that she wouldn't want a decorated house when her grandson comes over. I don't question her, whats the sense, it's not my business anyway, but it does surprise me as we grew up in a house where every holiday was a big deal.

xmastidings likes this.
  11. WintersElf

WintersElf Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum

yep my own daughter..she tries to make everyone not do christmas..but i always make her change her mind in the end.she thinks you have to go in debt but i tell her gifts dont have to cost much at all...im a cheap skate..and i like simple gifts.i told her last year to make me a coupon book of things she can redeem with me.and she did and i loved it...did she do any of the things on the coupon...no but its the thaught that counts..haha and year before last i told her to color pencil me a the movie THE ELF..i just wanted a tree and elf and i cried when she gave it to me it was perfect...

xmastidings likes this.
  12. Christmasplease

Lol. Thank goodness for us Christmas peeeps!!!

xmastidings likes this.
  13. Christmasplease

I used to make the coupon books. I was good for the first three months after Christmas, then I seemed to fade. Lol

xmastidings likes this.
  14. Christmasplease

That’s too bad. I know quite a few people who just don’t really bother much anymore. It’s kind of sad.

xmastidings likes this.
  15. Contented

Contented Elf Choir Book Distributor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I have a few friends that just never get the Christmas spirit.Sending cards is about as far as they go.But I don't let it darken my spirits any.Not even when they tell me putting up a tree is such a bother.I just laugh and shake my head.

Christmasplease and xmastidings like this.
  16. prancer

prancer Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

My sister is a scrooge...She hates christmas but does put up a tree for her daughter..But takes it down on the 26th December...She thinks i am nuts because all i talk about is Christmas..She just rolls her eyes....I love christmas soo much that no one will ever take that away from me...Ehhh wait a minute Holiday has called me nuts lately too lol:p

xmastidings likes this.
  17. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Ummm yea! My ex-wife!!!!!

She left me and the kids right after Thanksgiving in 2015 after 23 years of marriage; totally ruined our Christmas that year!

Good riddance, don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!

And besides, she was a non-believer to boot!

18. Christmasplease

Lololol

You just keep on keeping on Prancer!!!!

xmastidings likes this.
  19. Christmasplease

Many of us truly find JOY in Christmas!

xmastidings likes this.
  20. Christmasplease

Oh no. That’s tough.
    You are strong, you still seem to have that wonderful Christmas spirit. Lots of prayers never hurt either! :)

xmastidings likes this.