Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Do you have a Scrooge?

Discussion in 'Home & Family' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

-surprise-ok, so, not to throw anyone under the bus but......do you have a friend or family member that is a little on the “Scroogy” side? Either they don’t like spending or they don’t like the merriment, or both?

I have a friend that feels Christmas is too commercial and she hates when people start mentioning Christmas too soon. I tone it down a bit, but come November she just has to “deal!”

Holiday likes this.
  2. shrcpark

shrcpark Chestnut Roaster MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

My hubbs does not get into the Christmas spirit, or pretty much any spirit. He likes martial arts and is a hard core foodie. But, that is pretty much it. He goes along with what I like to do, and that is fine with me.

Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

I can't really think of one! Although I once worked in a place that stopped putting up a Christmas tree and decorations in the name of diversity. The attitude of "if we can't accommodate everybody, nobody celebrates" is MY Scrooge. (Happily, I now work in a place that had a decoration contest last year!)

Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  4. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I have two. One is a friend. She is one of those who just has a negative attitude toward a lot of things. I don't see her often anymore even though we keep in touch by phone/email so it's easier to avoid her lack of spirit over the holidays. I always send her a Christmas present though and she is always touched by that.

The other person is my mother in law. She complains about everything and acts as though the holidays are such a bother. Even more to my despair, she also 'hates' Hallloween - my other favourite holiday. Now I respect everyone's right to celebrate or not celebrate, I can't judge anyone for just not liking a holiday. However, my mother in law knows how much I adore these holidays so I feel she can at least respect my feelings by not voicing her negativity to me and the kids!!! Last we visited she kept saying how much she hated halloween....probably cause she knows it get's to me lol

I always smile, nod and say nothing.

Holiday likes this.
  5. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I hear you Festive!!
    I have to admit, I do dial it down around my peeps until about November 1. Then I’m as “Christmasloud” as ever. It does bother some people, but hey, I’m more quiet the rest of the year respecting them, so it’s my turn to shine. Lol.

Holiday and Festive Spirit like this.
  6. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Absolutely !!!!

Holiday likes this.
  7. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Sorry you have to deal with that. Keep smiling, it'll drive her nuts!

Festive Spirit and Holiday like this.
  8. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Awe - that really is too bad!! She should just join in on the fun!! ;)

Festive Spirit likes this.
  9. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I can't think of any full bore scrooges, but I have a sister who probably wouldn't even put up a tree if her daughters didn't do it for her b/c they are never home! And my bro/sil in Cape Cod usually don't decorate b/c they come to Ohio for Christmas.. (I would have to decorate anyway... to enjoy the before & after) My friend thinks we are absolutely nuts for watching the CIJ movies on Hallmark, so I always call her a scrooge. LOL!!!!