Do you have Thanksgiving plans?

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
To date, I'm still planning on it being just hubby and me, that's fine since we enjoy being alone together. It would be nice to go away but the weather makes it hard to plan too far ahead. And the Monday following Thanksgiving is the first day of Buck so hubby will be hunting with grandsons and son-in-law, now I have more to cover in prayer that day, my two grandsons, yikes!

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
we will be spending the day at my sisters

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
We are going to have Thanksgiving over at our house. My MIL and SIL and her 2 kids will come over and possibly my brother and his wife. He is in the Air Force though and I'm not sure if he will make it, but I hope he does I would love to see him and his new wife!:family:

Mr Walker

Merry KISSmas
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 19, 2008
We decided a few years ago to start doing our own Thanksgivings at home. With our six kids (19, 17, 13, 10, 3 & 18 mos)... it's just makes for a nicer day without the stress of preparing something... getting out of the house... making sure everyone is behaved... leaving without leftovers... yadda, yadda, yadda. My wife (with a bunch of helping hands) prepares a kick-a** Thanksgiving meal... we usually eat after the parade... watch some NFL... then I break out the Christmas toys, books & movies and we'll usually pick one to watch before all the deserts are served. And in between, I find time to steal away with the sales circulars and begin plotting my Black Friday assault for the following morning (a task that has become a bit easier with the advent of 'black friday' websites). We usually extend an invitation to my mother & father-in-law who stop by to eat with us.

I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving this year... we have ALOT to be thankful for!!!

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
We go over my In Laws early in the afternoon and then over to my parents after that. I may be helping my Mom this year in the morning getting everything ready to cook because she is having surgery the week before Thanksgiving!

Boogedy

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 28, 2008
Metro Detrot
www.flickr.com
We have breakfast at our house with hubby's parents, then go to my sister's for dinner. She is not much of a cook we all pitch in the with the food. I do the mashed potatoes, scalloped corn, salad and pies, my dad does the turkey and transports it over there (LOL), my aunt does the green bean casserole and deviled eggs, cousin does the cheesy potatoes, and sis does the rolls and stuffing. We usually have several cocktails, eat, have several more cocktails, then end up playing board games until everyone is about ready to pass out. :)

Christmas Snow Angel

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
We're trying to get our family in Ohio to come down for Thanksgiving this year for a large meal with everyone. If they don't come down, I believe I'm just gonna make the meal here just for my husband, and daughters and enjoy a holiday of NO TRAVELING lol.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I hope all plans go well and amen we do have alot to be thankful for and blessings abound.

DVDguy have a blessed time with your sister.

Snowytree have a blessed time with your brother (I hope it makes it too)

Mr Walker have a blessed time with your family (and I hope you find some great deals online)

MsChristmas, have a blessed time with your mom, may her surgery go well.

Boogedy, have a blessed time with your family and what a wonderful event to have everyone pitch in to help with the meal for your sister.

Christmas Snow Angel, have a blessed time with your family and may the rest of your family make the trip from Ohio, hoping the weather holds for traveling.

It's so nice to read about other's family plans for this important holiday.

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
I am cooking at home. So far it will be Me, hubby, our 2 kids, my mom, hubby's aunt and cousin. Not sure about my dad and his wife and hubby's brother yet.

First thing in the morning, me, sil and my best friend will hit the Kmart sale. Afterwards Hubby and our daughter will go to the local high school football game while me our son and my mom will watch the parade on TV.
Everyone else will be over in the afternoon.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Some years my MIL makes a Thanksgiving meal for the immediate family, & some years she doesn't. So if she calls & says she is having a meal, we will be there for lunch. Usually not everybody can make it b/c they have parties on the other side of the family, but my hubby & I always go!

My family hasn't discussed yet who will be having Thanksgiving dinner, but it is usually at one of my 2 sisters houses (my oldest sister always has Easter ~ I normally have the Fathers Day party & a get together around Christmas) Anyway...we will have supper with my family. If my sister who lives near a movie theater has the party, & IF there is a Christmas movie showing there, a lot of the family will go see a movie after our meal. If there isn't a Christmas movie showing or if my other sister has the party, we normally go for a walk after our meal ~ looking for Christmas lights!! :yahoo: It's always a good time with lots of good smells coming from the kitchen, a full house & way too much food!!! :munch:

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Wow Minta, you have a busy Thanksgiving Day planned. Always fun to shop with family and friends. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like fun Holiday, thanks for sharing.

Trinityjae

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 25, 2008
Well, this year will be a little more difficult as I will be 8 months pregnant. I debated on allowing Boston Market do all of my cooking however, my brother did not stand for that and promised to help me keep traditions this year.

I will start by setting up all tables the night before. I usually have a long dining room table that seats 9 and a round table that seats 4. I will also set up tray tables at my couches so that other guest can be more comfortable sitting there. I will usually set up all dishes with labels inside them for their respective side dish which will allow people to know where everything goes. I know, I like to be organized on such a chaotic day.

I will wake up at about 9am and start my first turkey breast while watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade. I usually have that on in the background. Everything will be said and done and all guests will arrive around 2 pm for a 3 pm dinner and all desert will be completed by 7 pm.

My guest this year will include: Myself, husband, daughter (20 months), mother, father, mother-in-law, father-in-law, 2 sisters, brother, sister-in-law, grandmother, grandfather and I'm sure a friend or two. It's usually a packed house. My stomach sorta hurts just thinking about everything that still needs to be done.

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
I don't really know for sure yet. We usually always do it at my house, but I am tired of carrying the expenses for doing everything. I told my niece she had to do it this year. We'll see. :-?

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Trinityjae, your Thanksgiving Day is similar to the way mine use to be. I also set my table the night before, less to do the next day. I always have the Thanksgiving parade on while I'm preparing the meal, I do Turkey breast too. If I have anyone here this year besides hubby and myself, I will prepare the night before by getting my table ready etc.
Best wishes with your little one that is coming!

Courtney,
Yes, I totally understand about being tired of carrying the expenses. I hope your neice gives you a well deserved break and has the meal this year.

Thanks to you both for replying.

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
Yes, I'm planning on having Thanksgiving!! As you'll know, if you read the various posts, Britain doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. I, however, am Canadian and living in Scotland so we WILL be having Thanksgiving, but it will be on October 13th, which is when Canada celebrates it.

All the usual food though!!!

bhenson

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 21, 2008
Since no one has claimed that holiday we will probably have a turkey dinner wqith my parents. !:tree:

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
Not yet...DH and I rotate holidays between our two families but last year was a bit of a muddle because DH's dad died a few weeks before Thanksgiving. Not sure what we're doing this year, technically it should be with my family but we'll end up at the IL's the day before with my step-daughter so we might just stay and have the holiday with them.

Luckily, neither family puts any pressure on us...wherever we go is fine with them because they don't want us to spend the holiday worrying about offending anyone...I'm VERY lucky in that respect.

MarthaK

Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Sep 5, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I will be spending the day with my folks who live 20 minutes away.

My step sister and I share in bringing side dishes and desserts to take the pressure off our folks. Dad does the turkey and mom will make mashed potatoes, rolls and her traditional fruit salad.

I bring in pecan pie and loads of green bean casserole while my step sister brings this yummy praline sweet potato casserole and some exotic cheesecake.

That night is also the first night my Chirstmas light display is on. THAT is worth coming home to!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image