Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Do you make the same cookies every year or try new ones?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tracyann, Oct 2, 2010.

1. tracyann

tracyann Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

I love trying new cookie recipes, but I find I usually end up sticking with the same ones every year. I will usually try a new recipe for my cookie exchange party and if it's a hit I may add it to my list of cookies to make. But my list stays pretty much the same every year. Do you try new cokies every year or always stick with the same? :)

2. UnchosenFragmnts

UnchosenFragmnts MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

My wife usually tries to make one new cookie or candy recipe every year but we have found that its unacceptable if we don't make the same things we make every year. We almost have groups of people who want certain things. (The peanut butter ball group, the coconut ball group, the fudge group, etc) For those few people you don't see a whole lot over the year, it feels good to know that they look forward to our cooking every year, so we can't dissappoint.

3. Faith4always

Faith4always MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

We have the old and incorporate the new!!

4. kerstig

kerstig Guest

I usually make the same basis, and add new ingredients every year, to make it interesting. To be honest, I make a lot of different cookies every christmas :)

5. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

Chocolate Chip,Sugar,Gingerbread Cookies are always made and decorated.sometimes we add a new kind.

6. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

Both.

I have 3 lists of cookies. List A is a list of cookies that I have to make every year. List 2 has 1 or 2 new recipes for that year and list 3 contains a variety of other cookies that I will select 2 from. Each year I rotate from list 3 to keep keep the vareity going.

One time I switched out more then 1/2 of the cookies on my list and had some very unhappy children, family and friends. They look forward to me making certain cookies every year so that is how I came up with 3 different lists.

I bake ALOT during Christmas and most of my baking will get done the weekend before Christmas. I have a 2 day bakefest starting on Friday evening and ending on Sunday evening. 1/2 of my baked goodies will get put onto platters or into baskets to be handed out as Christmas gifts.

2 people like this.
  7. Courtney

Courtney Just "Merry-ed"! MMC Lifer

I usually try to make sugar cookies every year and have been since I was a little kid. The recipes vary though, and sometimes if I am short on time or don't feel like making them, I will buy the premade/precut cookie dough.

8. tracyann

I like this idea! I have a few different cookies that i've made many times in the past, but they aren't on my yearly list. I'll make them maybe every couple years or so if they are really sounding good to me at that time.

9. xmas365

xmas365 Wants to build the second castle on the left MMC Lifer

We try new ones every year along with the "must haves." My wife bought a Christmas Cookies magazine, and she wants to try a new cookie every weekend until Christmas this year, Well, there goes the diet.

10. clarebear

clarebear MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

A bit of both really, we stick with stuff we've always baked-and also try new things. My mum always searches the web for new cookie-cake recipes..she loves (and so do I) American recipes. I think that baking this time of year and Christmas is awesome..:treeguy:

1 person likes this.
  11. kidzrme

kidzrme MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I make the same every year. I dip large pretzel rods I'm milk chocolate... Some in white chocolate. Then I roll them in different kinds of crushed up candies like peppermints or toffee bits.

1 person likes this.
  12. tracyann

My husbands aunt makes these. I've always wanted to try them, but havn't done it yet. Maybe this will be the year! They would make a great gift since they are so festive looking. :)

13. caninemom3

caninemom3 MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013) MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

My Sister (who is the cook/baker of the 2 of us) usually makes a variety every year !! I love her lemon bars !!cheesy

14. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

:tree:For quite a whie now, I make oatmeal cookies and peanut butter blossom cookies for Christmas. this year, I'm trying a new cookie too, Chocolate Chip Pudding cookies. i'll also make the other two, becuae my husband loves both of them, but I thought it would be fun to try something new too.

15. XmasDreams

XmasDreams North Pole Network Help MMC Lifer MMC Donor ATC Alum Christmas Crew

We typically do a little of both. We always make the faves for everyone and then try to change up stuff for a little variety.

16. Petronius

Petronius Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

Mother and Grandmother make Balish each year.

17. GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

mom's recipe. make same each Christmas. And I eat the dough so....never gotten sick

18. GWarren

GWarren Christmas cookie maker Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I have a few tried and true recipes that I have to make each year, but I always try a couple of new recipes to see if they can make it to the "every year collection." I have to make my snowballs each year because they remind me of Christmas as a kid. My mother would make them and for me, it's a Christmas necessity.

Petronius likes this.
  19. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

I have some standards but added a few new ones this year and they will definitely make the list!

20. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

There are two recipes that are must-makes, and I seldom have time to make more, what with other Christmas projects I'm involved in. But something would be missing if I didn't make chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies.

Petronius likes this.