Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Do you prep for the autumn and winter?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Moley, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Moley

Moley Tinsel Straightener MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

With severe storms and natural disasters rarely out the news, I wondered how many of you prepare for such eventualities?

ballcoach, Holiday and Minta like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer

Keep a well stocked pantry and freezer this way I can avoid the crazy rush to the store when they call for a snow/ice storm or during the aftermath of a storm.
    Keep plenty of bottle water on hand.
    To Deal with power outages:
    I keep bottles of water in the freezer to help keep the food cold/frozen longer especially during the warmer months.
    Have plenty of matches on hand so I still light my gas stove and candles.
    Keep the back up propane tank for my gas grill full.
    Have plenty of batteries for flashlights.
    We have a ton of extra blankets for power outages when it's cold.
    I do need to buy a few extra recharging packs to charge up the cellphones.

Ornamentmaven and Holiday like this.
  3. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

You are a planner!!! We should be more like you!!

Minta likes this.
  4. shrcpark

shrcpark Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

I usually purchase canned foods to last as few days and a couple cases of water.

Holiday and Minta like this.
  5. Minta

Thanks .. we have a had a few power outages during winter storms but thankfully they were only a few hours. People get ridiculous when a snow storm is mentioned and fly to the store. I like to avoid them when possible plus I hate paying full price so I always stock up during good sales lol

Holiday and Moley like this.
  6. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Living in New England it's just a way of life as we keep our homes stocked and our woodpiles full as in winter which is coming up it's things you just do,as i also have oil lanterns which i have oil stocked as well.As for my woodstove it's good size so i also cook on it as well especially in winter we enjoy it.

Minta, shrcpark and Holiday like this.
  7. Holiday

Good idea!!!

Minta likes this.
  8. Holiday

My hubby brings the lawn mower to the farm & brings the snow blower home from the farm when the 1st threat of snow is on the horizon. He also makes sure there is gas for the generator...just in case! Running out of food should never be a problem around our house - we are pretty stocked year round! I don't think we'll starve! ;) We may have to improvise, but we won't starve. ;)

Moley and Minta like this.
  9. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Snowman Engineer MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

I learned my lesson following Hurricane Irene a few years back. We were hit really hard in our small community in the NYC suburbs. No power for 7 days! Flooding caused a small local bridge to wash out - meaning an inconvenient detour for several years. Train tracks were ripped up - disrupting the commuter lines into NJ and NYC. Village Halloween festivities were cancelled. Luckily we didn't suffer any damage to our home as many people did. And then, 1 year later we were hit with Hurricane Sandy and another 6 days without power! At least we were better prepared that time! (Don't have any idea how they managed in Puerto Rico last year!)
    Winter storms are so common where I live that they generally cause only a day or so of inconvenience.
    It is difficult to prepare for an extended period without power - we are so dependent upon it. All we can do is follow Minta's advice and hope for the best!

Minta, Moley and Holiday like this.
  10. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

Here in Ohio people should be used to snow and ice but still everyone runs to the store to stock up if there is a mention of accumulation. I understand being prepared, but it makes me laugh that the stores all sell out of bread and eggs and milk first. We always joke that everyone is making emergency French toast every snow storm! :)

frostyman, Minta and Holiday like this.
  11. ballcoach

ballcoach Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class MMC Lifer

We keep several flashlights, radios, and plenty of batteries. We have a generator. I always keep enough canned food and water for two weeks...always. I live about 30 yards from the New Madrid fault. I have been really debating putting together more...like enough for two months. I know that if we have an earthquake, they aren't coming here...for a while. I have been doing a lot of reading on prepping....not like building a shelter underground and stuff....but enough to be able to through two months. With the girls, I need to be prepared for their sake.

frostyman, Minta, Holiday and 2 others like this.
  12. Holiday

Isn't that the truth!!??

Minta and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  13. Minta

Every time I go to the store I am always buying milk and bread :) They never seem to last long with the kids LOL

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  14. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Always prepared here,plenty of firewood,candles,oil for lanterns,cases of water,and the pantry is always stocked so are the cupboards,of course the milk,bread also in my pantry i have powdered milk.Also my son has his coleman camp stove and he got a few of those LED Lanterns that were on tv,so yes we're set here,also have board games,cards.

frostyman and Moley like this.