Easter Tradition - the Lamb Cake

mrshfromjersey

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Port Charlotte, FL
home.earthlink.net
Every year, for Easter, my mother would bake a cake in the shape of a lamb....representing the lamb of God. She would cover it with white icing to make it look like wool and make jelly bean eyes and mouth. She cut a piece of gold doily and made a crown for it's head. Until I started dating my husband, he had never seen a lamb cake. We recently decided to move to Florida, far away from my mother and her lamb cake mold. While shopping in a local, and I must say AWESOME consignment/antique store (where we buy many many MANY old Christmas ornaments and decorations) - we spotted a lamb cake mold and he insisted I buy it so he could have his lamb cake at Easter. Now my mother's tradition has been passed onto our little family. (He also likes the lambs made out of butter...but that's a story for another day.)

elfworks

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 5, 2006
texas
well, ive never seen a lamb cake, either. and i must admit to a certain amount of trepidation when i saw the title of this thread!

but yea for you for finding the mold!

:???:

xo

S

sheepsnot

You're right there. It's just a short hop from lamb cake to cow pie or horses douvres.

elfworks

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 5, 2006
texas
ive just been reminded of the final scene in A CHRISTMAS STORY when they are at the chines restaurant......

:D

xo

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Great find, I'm so glad you found a mold.

I never made a Lamb cake but I have made bunny cakes. So easy and fun.

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com

My grandmother made these the last few easters....and You can buy them in the bakerys and stores as well....I love them

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image