Eating Turkey Does NOT Make You Sleepy

ElfBot

MMC Newshound
Oct 17, 2005
If turkey contains tryptophan, and science has found that tryptophan can cause drowsiness, how can this medical belief be a myth?Well, the authors of a study in the British medical journal BMJ say turkey doesn’t contain “an exceptional amount of tryptophan.” In fact, turkey, chicken and minced beef contain nearly the same amounts of the [...]

More...

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
Eating struthio camelus doesn’t make one stick one's head in the sand either.

Wenceslaus

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 24, 2008
Ohio, USA
Think of all the starches and sugars we eat on Thanksgiving: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread stuffing/dressing, rolls, cakes and pies, punch.

We get a glycemic high in our blood , followed by a glycemic crash .

Reactions: 1 person

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
Think of all the starches and sugars we eat on Thanksgiving: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread stuffing/dressing, rolls, cakes and pies, punch.

We get a glycemic high in our blood , followed by a glycemic crash .

Yes....carb overload!!

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
  • High-tryptophan food (like turkey), high carbohydrate intake. (Prediction: sleepy)
  • High-tryptophan food, low carbohydrate intake. (Prediction: not sleepy)
  • Skip the high-tryptophan food, high carbohydrate intake. (Prediction: sleepy)
  • Skip the high-tryptophan food, low carbohydrate intake. (Prediction: not sleepy)
  • High-tryptophan food, high carbohydrate intake, extra protein. (Prediction: not sleepy)
  • High-tryptophan food, low carbohydrate intake, extra protein. (Prediction: energetic)
  • Skip the high-tryptophan food, high carbohydrate intake, extra protein. (Prediction: not sleepy)
  • Skip the high-tryptophan food, low carbohydrate intake, extra protein. (Prediction: frighteningly energetic)

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
I'm thinking that it's the combination of the jillions of calories and carbs I consume, the family I have to deal with and the tons of cooking that I do on Thanksgiving that make me want to hibernate.

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I'm thinking that it's the combination of the jillions of calories and carbs I consume, the family I have to deal with and the tons of cooking that I do on Thanksgiving that make me want to hibernate.

Carb overload potatoes, stuffing,bread,casseroles made with bread crumbs, cakes, pies...

MerryBells

wants turkey!
MMC Lifer
Sep 3, 2006
Pasadena, MD
Yes, all those carbs plus the fact that the house of your elderly parents is kept at a steady 85 degrees will make you very sleepy.

Reactions: 1 person

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image