Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Family Opposition?

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Lacim84, May 19, 2012.

1. usafvet

usafvet Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Lifer

My older brother married a nice Jewish girl, but in that he gave up the celebration of Christmas in respect to her beliefs. Selfishly, I thought it to be sad since my brother and I had good memories growing up in celebrating Christmas, including the faith-based element of it.

Of course, I respect his new observations and traditions and keep mum on the subject of Christmas. My mom, however, doesn't handle it very well (or tactfully) as she should. It's tough. Whatever one believes, one can only hope that the peace, serenity, and warmth represented in the season shall elevate us all to strive to be more intentional and understanding toward others.

2 people like this.
  2. Lacim84

Lacim84 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

My husband's parents have decided to cut us and our children off due to the fact we celebrate holidays. All I can say is, wow. Really? I will never understand how anyone who calls themselves a Christian can so easily cut all association from their grandchildren. It is wrong and not something God would approve of.

Now that my husband and I are battling both sets of parents, it's been very hard on me. I'm having trouble keeping my Christmas spirit up. Please pray for us and our children to have a wonderful Christmas and to stay strong against those who oppose us.

Just when I think things are getting better with my family's opposition, it gets worse.

2 people like this.
  3. Adam

Adam Formally xrockchild Merry Forums Member

It honestly sounds like you are better off without them. They sound like they just can't handle peoples differences and choose to believe only what they believe. Its sad really and I too have had to deal with this in regards to other issues. I am thinking this is their loss. I wouldn't want someone in my life who doesn't think I deserve to be happy or agrees that I should live the life that I want to live.

The way I see it, you don't tell them how to live. If they can't do the same for you or put you down, question what you do, believe, love etc....why waste your heart and energy toward something as negative as them.

If it were me in the situation, I would have to write them out of my life.

I would try and focus on what makes you happy. Surround yourself with people who love you, support you, etc. You can't choose the family you were born with, but you can choose the family you have in your life. Sometimes friends become family.

Decorate your tree, belt out Christmas tunes and feel the magic of the season with your children.

1 person likes this.
  4. Solice

Solice Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Im so sorry, prayers are on the way..

But, maybe it is for the best?
    Now you can embrace Christmas with all the love and joy that you want to.
    I really think that you will have a wonderful Christmas this year!
    I send a prayer for both your parents also..

And who knows, what the future brings? ♥

2 people like this.
  5. Lacim84

Thank you all. I put on my Christmas music today and worked on a couple of holiday projects. I'm feeling much better!

2 people like this.
  6. Lacim84

Hello Friends, oh how I've missed you!

I've been away for a few months and I'm so glad to be back.

I recently moved from San Antonio Texas to my home state of Arkansas. My husband & I divorced after 9 years, but we are both doing well. My children are almost 7 and 14 months old now and are loving their new home. My babies are very happy!

I'm getting remarried in August to a wonderful man I've known for nearly 15 years. He's the love of my life.

However.....

He doesn't celebrate Christmas!!!

You've read how my parents and some family members have opposed the holidays due to religious beliefs...now my soon to be spouse doesn't want to participate in the most amazing and magical time of the year. He promises to never stop me from celebrating Christmas but assures me, he will never do it himself.

I don't want a divided household but I'm not willing to give up Christmas.

Any advice on dealing with a non believing spouse???

3 people like this.
  7. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Nice to see you back!

Wishing you & your kids a bright & happy future!!

Praying that your love will join in your Christmas celebrations, who knows, maybe your joy will be just that contagious!!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  8. Lacim84

Thanks!

That's a great way to look at it!

2 people like this.
  9. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I agree soundly with that SF. That is a good/ nice way to approach this situation without letting it drive you crazy or apart from the one you Love; just be yourself. From what you posted earlier, you have alot on your plate already and well, you and your children's happiness comes first before anyone elses.

As far as your extended family, well I know this may sound hard (but it's not meant to be) but, well it's their choice, they made their choice and you have made yours and so be it, we cannot make someone do, think or say something that they choose not to do.

I do wish for you, all of the love, peace and happiness to be in your life and as well for your family. I hope that most of all whatever final decison you make, that you are at peace with it in your heart.....

1 person likes this.
  10. Lacim84

Thank you. And you're right, I'm just going to be myself in all ways. Besides, that's one of the main reasons he loves me. :)

3 people like this.
  11. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Lovely to see you back! Congratulations on the upcoming wedding and the move!
    I am happy to hear you're all happy and doing well.

It's a tough situation to be in especially as Christmas is so important to you. It's really positive that your fiancé has said he won't sop you from celebrating even though he won't be, that' s atleast something.
    Is there a specific reason for his non participation? What is his impression of the holidays ? I would perhaps try to make him experience Christmas the way you experience it.........make him see it through your eyes.....let him see how happy it makes you. So I agree with the others, definatley continue your traditions. It may take some time but he may eventually come round to it....

Goodluck and continue to have faith in what you believe in....it has a habit of rubbing off on to people......:)

1 person likes this.