Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fast and easy Christmas desserts

Discussion in 'Christmas Food' started by Fire_Goddess, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Fire_Goddess

Fire_Goddess Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

I'm going to help out at a bake sale and host a Christmas party the same weekend (and possibly the same day). Any suggestions on easy desserts? I am a good cook and can make more complex recipes, but for this I want something with a short prep time (baking time does not matter).

Thanks.

2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Pineapple Upside Down cake using red AND green maraschino cherries?

Pineapple Upside-down Cake

1/2 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple
    10 maraschino cherries
    1 (18.25 ounce) package white or yellow cake mix (mixed with pineapple juice in place of water)

Melt the butter over medium high heat in the iron skillet. (my biggest one works great – or can use a 9 x 13) Remove from the heat and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter. Next, arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pan, one layer deep. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring. Prepare the cake mix as directed by the manufacturer, substitute the water for pineapple juice for some (all) of the liquid in the directions. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer.

Bake as directed by the cake mix directions. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Do not let the cake cool too much or it will be stuck to the pan.

Fire_Goddess likes this.
  3. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Take a round pretzel & melt a Hershey Hug (or regular kiss) in the middle of it - bake at 250º for 5-10 min - press a red/green M & M in the middle of the kiss - let cool!

Chocolate Caramel Pretzels

Waffle Pretzels
    Rolo’s (set on top of pretzel)
    Bake @ 250 until soft in paper candy cups
    Pecans – press into softened Rolo

Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/peanut-butter-brownie-cookies/78d2e747-151c-48d1-838b-fdde7d1e3e37/

1 pkg. (19.5 oz) Choc Fudge Brownie Mix
    1/4 C. butter, melted
    4 oz. Cream cheese, softened
    1 egg
    1 C. powdered sugar
    1 C. Peanut Butter
    1/2 container chocolate fudge frosting

Heat oven to 350º. Beat brownie mix, melted butter, cream cheese & egg in medium bowl – 50 strokes with spoon until well blended. (dough will be sticky) Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2” apart onto ungreased cookie sheets to make 24 cookies; smooth edge of each to form round cookie.

Mix powdered sugar & peanut butter in small bowl . With hands, roll rounded teaspoonfuls of peanut butter mixture into 24 balls. Lightly press 1 ball into center of each ball of dough. Bake 10 – 14 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheets at least 30 minutes. Spread thin layer of frosting over peanut butter portion of each cooled cookie.

*This made 30 cookies when I made it

Crunchy Peanut Butter Cups
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup peanut butter
    3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
    1/4 cup milk
    Sea salt

Line a muffin tin with papers (you could also use a mini muffin tin if you prefer).

In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter & peanut butter together for 45 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add graham cracker crumbs and sugar and mix to combine. Distribute mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set peanut butter layer.

After the peanut butter has chilled, combine chocolate and milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 25 second intervals until chocolate is just melted. Stir until smooth. Distribute chocolate evenly over the top of the peanut butter layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and chill until firm, at least 30 minutes. Store covered in the fridge.

Creamy Mocha Fudge (2006)
    2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    1 cup HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
    4 teaspoons powdered instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water OR 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped nuts

Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil.

Combine semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, milk, sweetened condensed milk, coffee mixture and vanilla in heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted.
    Remove from heat; stir in nuts.
    Spread evenly into prepared pan. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
    Remove from pan; place on cutting board. Peel off foil; cut into squares. Store covered in refrigerator.

Makes about 5 dozen pieces or 2 pounds.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe.

Chow Mein Noodle Candy

1 pkg. chocolate chips (12 oz. – 2 C.)
    1 pkg. butterscotch chips (12 oz.)
    1 C. canned planters peanuts (6 ½ oz.)
    1 C. chow mein noodles

Melt chips in double broiler (or micro). When melted add peanuts & noodles. Stir. Drop by spoonful onto wax paper.

Christmas Turtle Candies

¼ lb. pecan halves
    24 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
    1 tsp. shortening
    1 C. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300º. Cover cookie sheets with aluminum foil, shiny side exposed. Lightly grease foil w/ vegetable spray. Place 3 pecan halves in a Y shape on the foil. Place 1 caramel candy in the center of each Y. Bake just until caramel is melted, about

9-10 minutes. Heat shortening & choc. chips over low heat just until choc. is melted. Spread over candies & refrigerate 30 minutes.

Fire_Goddess likes this.
  4. Fire_Goddess

the pineapple upside down cake could work for the bake sale, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. Fire_Goddess

I just realizes that I forgot to mention something very important in my first post, and I can't seem to edit it :(
    My friend is allergic to nuts, so I can't have any nuts. I love nuts, but as she will coming over to my place, I don't want any in the kitchen.