Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Favorite Christmas novels?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimothy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Kimothy

Kimothy MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Hi All!

I was roaming around the site and realized that we don't have a thread dedicated to Christmas-related literature!

So....what are some of your favorite novels/short-stories/comics/etc. related to the holiday?

Here are some of mine: I look forward to reading the comic strip Garfield beginning December 1-4 and ending on the 25th. Every strip leads up to Garfield's anticipation!

Also the strip Family Circus usually has some cute moments.

Last, the strip For Better or For Worse. I'm sad it's no longer in "real time" but I LOVE Lynn Johnston's work.

I LOVE the novel The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn. A great read that wonderfully (and seamlessly) weaves the bible with famous people from past and a bit of magic!

What are some of your favorites? cheesy

sugar142286 likes this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

An oldie (published in 1910) but definitely a goodie: a short novel called The Christmas Angel, by Abbie Farwell Brown. You can read it online here and listen to an audiobook of it here. Synopsis: "Disagreeable old Miss Terry spends her Christmas Eve getting rid of toys from her childhood toy box. One by one she tosses them onto the sidewalk in front of her house, then secretly watches the little scenes that occur, which seem to confirm her belief that true Christmas spirit does not exist. Then the Angel from her childhood Christmas tree appears to show Miss Terry that she has not yet witnessed the final act of each of those little dramas …

Living Age magazine in 1910 observed of The Christmas Angel, 'Not since Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever has there been a prettier Christmas story written, one more full of the real spirit of Christmas or conveying a more seasonable lesson.'"

If you read it, let me know what you think!

3. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

Has anybody ever read the Christmas Box?

tbutler likes this.
  4. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

we do have a group, the book cottage, which you can join

5. Petronius

Petronius Elf Supervisor Merry Forums Member

A Mrs. Miracle Christmas by Debbie Macomber

-santa--santa--santa-

6. tbutler

tbutler Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant Merry Forums Member

My favorite books (which I read every year):
    Silent Night
    Pearl Harbor Christmas
    The Christmas Box
    Skipping Christmas
    A Christmas Carol
    Christmas in Plains
    Shepherds Abiding
    The Autobiography of Santa Claus
    The Christmas Train

I also love listenting to Christmas Old Time Radio and reading any of the Christmas story collections released by Marvel Comics.

7. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever every year!

8. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Charles Dickens a Christmas Story is one of my favorites. I like watching the movie around Christmas time and enjoy the season with all the wonderful movies playing.

9. wstaple

wstaple Tinsel Straightener MMC Premiere Member

I really like Donna VanLiere’s Christmas books - The Christmas Shoes, The Christmas Note, The Christmas Town, and The Christmas Star. All are set in the small town of Grandon, where people are close and genuinely care for one another.

Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Specer also have a series of books set in the New England town of Cape Light. Again, small town folks who stick together. Very nice series.

My other favorite Christmas series is by Nancy Thayer. The books are An Island Christmas and A Nantucket Christmas.

I usually read Christmas novels throughout the year. Not exclusively, maybe one every 6-8 weeks or so. That way I get to keep my Christmas spirit alive all throughout the year!