Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Getting ready for baking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sugarmuffin25, Sep 2, 2019.

1. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Anyone else starting to check the stores for sales on baking supplies? I ran to the store so many times last year for "emergency" ingredients that I thought I had but didn't. This year I am going to start now and figure out what I will need and buy the stuff gradually. I baked so much last year and I really enjoyed giving a bunch of Christmas trays and tins away last year that I need to start getting organized!

ponytramp, Minta and 'Tis the season like this.
  2. 'Tis the season

'Tis the season Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I'm hoping to talk mum into helping me make the family cake this year. Sadly she's hasn't had the best of health over the last few years, but thankfully things have improved. We used to do it on "stir up Sunday" so a bit to wait yet. Hopefully this Sunday I'll get some time to look through a few cook books for ideas.

sugarmuffin25 and Minta like this.
  3. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Stores here usually start their sales on baking ingredients in Oct. I will start stocking up then however I have started a list what I need I need to buy and how much of each. Last month I started stocking up on parchment paper and assorted sizes of baking tins.

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  4. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

How far in advance does everyone bake? Do you freeze your cookie dough, or bake and then freeze?

Minta and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  5. sugarmuffin25

I usually start making cookie dough, fudge, and pumpkin bread in November and freezing it all. The cookie dough is just rolled into small portions and frozen on a parchment-lined tray in the freezer until solid and then placed in a Ziplock freezer bag. I usually bake all of those cookies on December 23rd. The fudge and pumpkin bread freeze very well after they are made so that all goes in the freezer as well until I need to start assembling trays and tins for everybody!

KimB and Minta like this.
  6. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Already started my fall baking and have gotten some orders to fill as it feels like fall here leaves have been turning and falling and have been doing fall craft pieces.Busy with breads,cookies,muffins and coffeecakes and all these wonderful New England Favorites even the fudges pumpkin and maple yum.

7. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

I’m new to baking. Just doing shortbread and gingerbread. Another question.
    Do you ever freeze cookies you’ve made from previously frozen dough? Also, do you ever freeze cookies with royal icing?
    Thanks!

Minta likes this.
  8. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

I haven't bought any supplies for Christmas baking, but I do need to buy my canned pumpkin a i make pumpkin bread every yer fr Thanksgiving and Christmas breakfast.

9. sugarmuffin25

I have officially made a list of all the baking supplies I have and started to buy the things I need a little at a time. I also started on my cookies today; I froze a batch of Dark Chocolate Chip dough balls in the freezer and they are wrapped up and ready to bake when I need them. I plan to do about 5 different kinds for now so I can pull out a variety and bake as needed. I bet a lot of these will be baked off for Thanksgiving weekend and I will have to make more for Christmas but that is ok. Also, since my husband knows I have started this he will start asking me to bake him a few fresh cookies every few nights and I can never tell him no!

ponytramp and Dudley like this.
  10. Dudley

Dudley Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Exactly the same plan I do each year . . . sort of. I start figuring out the different holiday events and what I want to bake for them. Then, starting last week, I begin buying the supplies and stocking the baking shelf in the pantry and fridge.

The difference is I don't make anything in advance, BUT I do coordinate my days off from work with my baking needs.

sugarmuffin25 and ponytramp like this.
  11. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Restocking pantry for my christmas baking and candy making as i've started getting orders for things and of course the fudge's and the cookies,cakes my season is looking good.

sugarmuffin25 and Dudley like this.