Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Gift cards

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christmasplease, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

Gift cards are becoming more the “go to” gift in my family. I personally love to open a gift. I do understand that some people like to pick out their own things.

What’s your take?

2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Our family usually gets gift cards for Mr. and me (whoever draws our names) because we have such esoteric interests (vintage film, etc.) that they just don't know what to get us. It IS exciting to open a gift, but it's also exciting to have a gift card to splurge on something we might not ordinarily want to spend the money on. So I'm okay with it. We're okay with giving gift cards, too. I'll often throw in a small wrapped gift to keep it interesting!

Christmasplease likes this.
  3. omalkm

omalkm Tinsel Straightener MMC Premiere Member 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I agree with Merry! I would rather get somebody something to open that they live, but a gift card lets them get whatever they want.

They might not let you know what they actually want.

4. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

It would be nice to know people fo exactly what they wanted!

5. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

Maybe wrap the gift card with a small gift .. like tucked inside slipper socks, a pair of gloves/mittens, attached to favorite candy bar, etc. Another option is to make them work for it (which in our household at least one gift is wrapped like this) .... Wrap the gift card, tuck in a small box, wrap the box, tuck into another box, wrap that box etc.

Ornamentmaven and SnowflakeMom like this.
  6. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Christmasologist MMC Lifer

I think gift cards are great especially for teenagers/adults. I always try to put a little something with it too, like their favorite candy or lotions, body spray, etc..

7. Christmasplease

Oh I LOVE THIS!!

8. Christmasplease

Yup, I’ll be buying more gift cards this year!

9. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

My daughters are 33 and 24 now and all they want is gift cards! So, their primary gift is a card to their favorite stores. I usually wrap the gift card in an extra large box, so they have something special to open. I also do buy each of them several smaller gifts and wrap them separately!

10. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I'd rather get a gift to wrap. To me, gift cards are too impersonal and not much thought goes into them. However, they are very convenient and wonderful to buy if you do not know the recipient that well, (i.e., my child's teacher or mailman).

11. Christmasplease

I taking some creative ideas from this thread.

Thank you!

12. Christmasplease

It’s official, my oldest two have asked for Amazon gift cards. I’ll get them some
    Little gifts too. I love them having something to open so I’ll wrap them in another gift.

13. Maebeary

Maebeary Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

I prefer a gift but if they know what I like, gift cards are okay. They just aren't as much fun. I'm to the point where I don't need "more stuff."