Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Happy Bonfire Night (UK)

Discussion in 'Christmas Around the World' started by Festive Spirit, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Tonight is Bonfire night or Guy Fawkes Night here in England! What are your plans for later?

'' Remember, remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot.
    Guy Fawkes, guy, t'was his intent
    To blow up king and parliament.
    Three score barrels were laid below
    To prove old England's overthrow.

By God's mercy he was catch'd
    With a darkened lantern and burning match.
    So, holler boys, holler boys, Let the bells ring.
    Holler boys, holler boys, God save the king.

And what shall we do with him?
    Burn him! ''

:devil:Happy Bonfire night to all my fellow UK buddies !!
    Have fun and be safe!! :pilgrim:​

Holiday, Virginia, MerryCarey and 2 others like this.
  2. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

have a great time celebrating!
    [​IMG]

Holiday likes this.
  3. prancer

prancer Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

we had a fantastic time festive spirit..we had the family over watching our fireworks display..how about you?

Holiday and Festive Spirit like this.
  4. Festive Spirit

Ours was rained out :( We usually go for a walk and watch people's fireworks. We had a nice evening indoors instead.

Over the weekend there was a lot of fireworks in the neighbourhood and we could see it from our window, it was good.

I am glad you all had fun. It is crazy to think how fast Halloween and Bonfire night has come and gone!

Holiday likes this.
  5. NovaMan

NovaMan The Maritimes Christmas Ambassador Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Here in Nova Scotia a few people still celebrate Bonfire Night, but when we lived in Newfoundland it was a major celebration, with most communities having a town bonfire. Great fun for young and old.

Festive Spirit and Holiday like this.
  6. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Wishing you a safe & fun filled Bonfire night celebration on Sunday!

NovaMan likes this.
  7. Festive Spirit

Thanks Holiday!!! Wishing everyone celebrating a Happy and Safe Bonfire Night.

Holiday and NovaMan like this.
  8. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Had a good one - we live on the side of a mountain here in South Wales so we over look the valley - so we sat in my daughters bedroom with goodies and watched all the fireworks :)

Festive Spirit and NovaMan like this.
  9. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

My husbands trip of a lifetime is to go to Newfoundland. :) it looks beautiful there.

NovaMan likes this.
  10. NovaMan

NovaMan The Maritimes Christmas Ambassador Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I'm sure he will enjoy himself in Newfoundland.

11. Festive Spirit

That sounds like a great evening!

12. irishsnow

irishsnow Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Irish Bonfire Night

June 23rd is known as bonfire night in Ireland.
    It's a tradition carried on from the pagan midsummer festival - which was then moved to become St Johns Eve when the Catholic Church hijacked all the pagan festivals for themselves.

In the past - people would say prayers, asking for God's blessing upon their crops. They would also take ashes from the fire, and spread them over their land as a blessing for protection for their crops. It was also common to have music, singing, dancing, around the bonfire.

As might be expected, there was plenty of eating and drinking! In some areas of Connacht a special dish called “Goody” was made. This was white ‘shop-bread’ which had been soaked in hot milk and flavored with sugar and spices. It was usually made in a large pot that was either placed on the bonfire or heated on a smaller fire close by. Revelers brought their own spoons and bowls if they wanted to share in the “Goody.”

Some people would bring home an ember from the communal fire and place it on the family hearth. Some families also kept ashes from the fire for luck, others because they believed the ashes would ensure a peaceful death to old people who were ailing.

Now it's more of an excuse for everyone to burn all their rubbish - even though it's illegal.
    You shouldn't hear any fireworks - because they are illegal too in Ireland - but there will probably be a few let off anyway . Laws aren't followed too strictly here in Ireland !

Halloween is also a popular night in Ireland for bonfires (October 31st).
    In England they have Bonfire Night on November 5th to remember the failed attempt by Catholic Guy Fawkes to blow up the houses of Parliament.

NovaMan likes this.