Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Happy Nikolaus DAY!!!!

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by trackrebel, Dec 6, 2008.

1. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

Millions of German (and I think swiss and austrian kids as well) woke up this morning....running to their Boots or socks they put in fron of the room door or housedoor to see if Nikolaus came......Of course he did and he put fruits, nuts, candy and usually a small present in it........to some kids...NIkolaus comes in the evening....in the house and asks them if they were good or bad....of cousre usually kids have been "good" and get their presents directly instead of him putting it in their shoes or socks....

Kandice woke up to a sock full of candy, fruits, nuts and a stuffed Donald Duck.....You shoulda seen her face...such a happy little girl!!!!

2. whychristmas

whychristmas Webmaster Partner, <a href="http://www.whychristma MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member MMC Partner

ahhh, that's lovely! How old is Kandice?

I think He might have visited Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg and parts of France and Italy as well!!! What a busy guy ;)

3. trackrebel

I´m not sure about France....cos they have Pére Noel coming on Christmas Day...but true Holland has it...I think he´s called Sinter Klaas there (I read that is the term that finally led to Santa Clause)...and many other countries....:D I just didn´t want to post any wrong information.

Kandice is 2 years and 9 months...I will post pictures of her today later this week

4. pinkini

pinkini MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

st nicholas came to our house! he does every year - we observe his feast day because we are catholic. we received some candy, cookies. :D

we are volunteering today with the salvation army in his honor because st nicholas was so generous and loving to the poor.

5. trackrebel

pinkini...that´s a great thing to do!!! I´m a protestant and don´t really pray to Saints....but St. Nicholas was a great man who gave to the poor....just as St. Martin...so honoring them and doing charity in their name is a great thing to do...NIkolaus Day is one of my favorite days in the year....especially when I was a kid.....and since I was never really bad....I never had to be scared of getting hit with his switch...:D......tho I have to say....there was always a little worry if I am on his good list

6. Ms_Speedy_Elf

Ms_Speedy_Elf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Can't wait to see the photo's of Kandice ! :D

My b/f told me that when his family lived in Germany while his dad was in the service they too observed "St Nikolaus Day" .He said that they set wooden shoe's outside the door to receive their treat's.This was in the mid to late 1950's .

7. kcmsom76

kcmsom76 Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member

Happy Nikolaus Day to you and your family!!! :}

8. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

I like that,waking up to lil gifts and fruits...Do you guys put the stockings at the end of the bed? My dad used to do it for us...I can't wait to see the pics either Trackrebel. I can just imagine her lil face.awww

Happy Nikolaus Day!! to ya.

9. trackrebel

no....we put the socks on the wall...it was hanging there for at least 2 and half weeks...cos it´s part of the decoration.....yesterday evening I took her by my hand and told her, that if Nikolaus comes....he will put a little present in the sock.......when I was little my mom had two cute little red boots (not to wear) for my brother and I....they actually looked like Santa Boots....we always put them outside...

Speedy....I never heard of the wooden shoes....cool...learn something new everyday

10. VeryWelshXmasLover

VeryWelshXmasLover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Thats lovely! I hope that you have had a lovely day! :D x

11. Ms_Speedy_Elf

Ms_Speedy_Elf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I know,that sounds more like something they would do in Holland .

12. trackrebel

that´s what I was thinking....I immediately had those girls in this traditional dutch dress and wooden shoes on my mind

13. Petronius

Petronius Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Saint Nicholas Day in Budapest, Hungary

:wagfinger:wagfinger:wagfinger:wagfinger:wagfinger:wagfinger

Neotericisis likes this.