Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

have you ever been carolling?

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by kelly ann, Aug 15, 2008.

1. kelly ann

kelly ann MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Just wondered if any of you go carolling? Or use to when you were kids? Any funny stories? :tree:

Ryan likes this.
  2. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

nope, im rather boring & cant carry a tune

Ryan likes this.
  3. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Yes, it was done as a neighbourhood thing when I was a kid (1970's) There would be quite a large group of us, both adults and children, someone had a guitar and we'd go round the houses (snow falling, of course) and we kids would take it in turns to go to the doors with the collecting tin. It always seemed late at night but I guess we finished about 9pm and then we all ended up at someone's house for doughnuts and hot chocolate.

It's a really great memory I have of Christmas when I was little

:tree:

RavenHardt and Ryan like this.
  4. Annette1990

Annette1990 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I also did this a kid and loved it!! Good memories =)

RavenHardt likes this.
  5. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Santa's Elf

Yeah, but I had to quit after that last time when I woke up the next morning in somebody's front yard in a snow bank, ducted taped to a lawn chair, wearing somebody else’s clothes.

6. dvdelf

easy on the wassail

7. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Traditions & Memories

When i was a kid used to go with my family every year with our church choir.
    I actually miss it.
    No one seems to do it up here in Virginia.
    :treeguy:

8. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

Nope,Ive never been.growing up in a big city never had the chance

9. Chillywilly

Chillywilly MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I used to do it with our school when I was a child as well. It always give me great pleasure to do it/

10. arthur galea

arthur galea Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Yes I used to go carolling with my friends. Being neighbours we used to meet when it was getting dark and we used to have some smashing moments, except when someone's dog used to decide that he dosen't want to hear any carols and stars barking like mad.

11. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Card Exchanger Santa's Elf

We go caroling as a family every year. In our neighborhood it is a great way to get several free hot cocoas.

My kids insist that we ALWAYS wait for a snowy night to go.

12. irishsnow

irishsnow Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I remember going caroling when I was a child. Its a part of Christmas that I really miss

13. dvdelf

that way you REALLY need cocoa

14. George Broderick, Jr.

George Broderick, Jr. Guest

We used to go with my church youth club when I was 12-15 years old... fun stuff! Mostly we sang traditional Christmas carols (as one would expect from a church sponsored group), but one year I talked them into doing a rousing rendition of Snoopy's Christmas... since I was the "weakest" singer in the group, I got to do all the bi-plane and chattering machine gun sound effects... cheesy

15. Snowfall

Snowfall MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I was a member of the show choir in high school. We would try to encourage people in the regular choir to carol with us to raise money for a charity we did every year.

We'd go house to house caroling in as many neighborhoods as possible and raise money for a shelter for abused women and their children. Then, with the money, we'd buy gifts for the kids and the show choir bus driver would dress as Santa to bring to them. Those were some great times.

16. MerrySouthernChristmas

MerrySouthernChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I've never actually gone,
    The one time my girl scout troop actually did go, i was sick... :(
    But in seventh grade on one of the days before exams before winter break, in choir class, we actually went around to different classes and sang a carol for them... it was slightly embaressing but really fun too!

17. cheryl65

cheryl65 Guest

I can remember going with friends once or twice when i was young. I'm a horrible singer :-? but we always had fun.

18. officepro4u

officepro4u MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I used to go carolling every weekend when I was a kid. I loved it!! I have sang my entire life. I haven't been so much as an adult...but I think I will this year. I miss it!

19. BooksNChristmas

BooksNChristmas Elf Choir Book Distributor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

I went caroling a couple of times with my Spanish class in high school. We sang Spanish carols. It was fun! I have always wanted to get a caroling group together here in Nashville, but my family members (some of them anyway) are lame and just not that in to Christmas like I am. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something together eventually. I remain optimistic!

20. whychristmas

whychristmas Webmaster Partner, <a href="http://www.whychristma MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member MMC Partner

A gang from my Church youth group used to go out. We were all quite musical and used to do it in four part harmony unaccompanied! Great stuff.

My Church goes round the old folks homes and even the local supermarket most years.

We don't have a church choir, but last year a group of us learn some four part stuff to sing over the top of everyone at the two carols by candlelight services we had. That was great fun. I hope we do it again this year.