Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Hoping for a Hallmark Channel solution...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Michael Rielly, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Michael Rielly

Michael Rielly MMC Master of SantaClausology MMC Partner Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Hello all!

First off, my apologies for not posting in a while. In the past, I used to post a lot more. But sadly, these days I only have enough time to browse the most recent posts. :(

I need some help. And if there is any place online I can hope for a Hallmark Channel solution, it’s the Merry Forums.

I am starting my second year as the general committee chairman of my town's annual Christmas Festival. You can learn more about it here if you are interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/BristolChristmasFestival
    https://christmasbristolri.com/

The town’s Christmas celebrations goes back at least 100 years. An official committee was formed 32 years ago. Bristol’s Christmas Festival attracts thousands -- not only from our community but the rest of the State and surrounding area!

24831439_1457997284313156_393045524250129019_o.jpg

When I first took on the Chair position, committee membership was already waning. We have a lot of people who like to say they are on the committee, but never participate on the committee.

So last year, my first priority was to get more people who are enthusiastic about the Festival and the season in general, involved in the committee. Unfortunately, this has proven to be more difficult than I initially thought.

It seems that the biggest problem is that most people (not anyone here) don’t start thinking about Christmas until around November -- maybe October. Unfortunately, by then it is too late to plan anything. As I am sure most of you are aware, planning big events like this takes months of preparation. Our first meeting of the year is the first week of January.

My question for all of you is this:

How do I get like-minded folks to join the committee and actually step up to work? What would motivate you to participate? For those of you involved in similar organizations, what are some of the things your group does to attract new volunteers and encourage participation?

Thank you for any feedback you can provide. I look forward to your input!

2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

First to would not take much for me to jump at a chance to be apart of something like this.

Make fliers/ballot asking residences what they like, dislike, what they would like to see and include a spot for information in case they would like to help. Leave these in favorite local places and businesses (diners, library, City Hall, etc). I noticed you have a FB page which is great. Create the qballot in there and pin it at the top so all visitors will see it and include an email address that they can email their answers to.

Senior centers, organizations that assist the disabled and schools may be untapped resources for a helping hand or ideas. Speak to the schools to see if they can form an afterschool club where the students can help. Many senior centers/nursing homes have residence who have idle time and would love to be useful.

Ask businesses for feedback.

Make it very clear to the residences that if they expect this to continue in the same fashion or even better then more help is needed.