Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Hosting Christmas Tips....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ballcoach, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ballcoach

ballcoach Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer

Ok, friends. I need some help.

The passing of Dad led Mom to sell her house. She signs papers on it in a couple of weeks, but she told me today that she wants me to host Christmas this year.

Of course, that just tickles me....

But...I have never hosted a family event. I need help! Tips, ideas, things to remember....anything that you can do or suggest, I would great appreciate it!

2. shrcpark

shrcpark Twinkle Light Checker MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

Plan, plan, plan, plan...

To have a great time with your family and friends.

1. Prepare to free yourself the night before and the day of the event.
    2. Figure out how many people are coming and add 5 more people. You may have drop-ins and unexpected guests.
    3. Decide if you want lunch or dinner. Lunch can be finger foods with a combination of appetizers. Dinner can be buffet style, a pot luck, catered or sit down style. Buffet style, everyone can bring something and you will have less stress. Use www.signupgenius.com website to organize a pot luck dinner. Everyone can click on an item to bring and can send out invites via emails.
    4. See if you need to rent additional tables and chairs for the event.
    5. If you can, hold the event partially out side in a heated tent and place an open fire place near the tent. Some people may go outside to smoke or get away from the crowd.
    6. Include activities for the kids and some adult games. Even the kid-at-heart loves games the play.
    7. Kids love jobs and if you have little ones that love to help, ask them to take the guest's coats and put them on the bed in one of the bedrooms if you don't have a coat closet. They can retrieve the coat as the guests leave.
    8. If you have little ones, they can help prepare for the event like set the table if you are having a sit down dinner style or fold the napkins if you are eating finger foods and appetizers.
    9. Have a good time and don't forget to have fun as well.

Holiday and Margie Kory like this.