Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Santa's Sleigh is going to have an interesting ride in 2020. Today we learned a little lesson about how it might be.

I met a man on Facebook who was sharing a link about the situation in Pennsylvania where he lives. He was despondent over not being able to shop in stores for his garden. I got to talking with him and learned his situation. He's a single dad of 3 kids. He's lost his job and has no income. Stimulus and unemployment options have not kicked in. He's tried going to local food banks only to find lines a mile long and shelves basically empty.

He's desperate, down to some ramen and peanut butter.

He didn't ask me for a thing. But when I mentioned that where I lived there is an abundance of seeds for our gardens I offered to mail him some. He was thrilled at that possibility because he cannot get anything locally and his attempts to find things online have been beyond his ability to pay.

While shopping here today for his seeds it occurred to me that this man cannot be alone in his simple need.

As I was at one local garden center the lady there started asking me questions about what I was going to do with all the seeds I was selecting. After I explained the situation to her she got hold of the owner. I explained it to him. As happens SO MANY TIMES with small, local businesses this man stepped up in a huge way.

He offered more than $250 worth of seeds that we can send to Pennsylvania. I quickly got hold of my new friend and asked him if he knew of neighbors or others who needed seeds and what that would be. Long story short, this little local garden center in Logan, Utah is going to support the gardening efforts Williamsport, PA.

All Santa's Sleigh has to do is pay the shipping.

To me, this is yet once again the power of the Internet and people just being people. I think if we put our heads and local resources together we can help each other out.

So...we're going to try a little experiment.

What are your needs? Or do you know of someone locally in need that we can help with? We're not talking money....Santa's Sleigh doesn't have much of that. But what else?

Perhaps we can use our community to help connect people to resources in some what that can help out.

That's what this forum will be all about.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
That's a wonderful idea! Not everywhere has the same shortages, so moving what's needed from those who have to those who haven't is a great service.

Maybe some sort of effort to help stock food banks, too? Or seeds for community farms?

Reactions: ponytramp

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
The masks will be a marvelous way to help the effort to fight off the virus!
(Now I'm imagining little bottles of Santa-tizer to go with them.)

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Santa's Sleigh this week will join an effort to help make 5 million masks for essential workers.

Is there a specific pattern or specifications for these masks? Where can I go to learn more and contribute?

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com

Pictured above is my wife and daughter-in-law working to sew 100 facemasks. This scene is repeated in several thousands of homes all over Utah.

The inspiration for this effort actually comes from Africa. Several weeks ago charities there came together to make masks simply because local governments just couldn't afford them. In coming together to address they issue -- first organizing by groups, then reaching out to families to actually make the masks, they found the efforts brought family members together by being engaged in service to others.

That effort inspired things here in Utah. Attached is a sound clip from a BYU Women's Conference held this week. This clip is from a presentation given on Friday talking about how it came together here:

https://mymerrychristmas.com/x/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/masks.mp3

Our part in this, besides Sandy and Angie actually doing the hard work, was to try and find other folks willing to take on the task of making 100 masks. So far, we have found enough folks to do about 3000.

The overall goal is 5 million.

These are not entirely easy to make. It took two solid days of fairly tedious work sorting, gathering, sewing and folding these masks. I'm guessing we'll be working on these for several more weeks, and then we'll see how things go over the next several months with the virus. While here in Utah we cannot say our hospitals are overrun we cannot help but wonder what 5 million masks might do to help frontline healthcare workers as these get distributed.

I can tell you one happy byproduct of this effort and it is something we frequently see in the work of Santa's Sleigh: when you are engaged together in something good it brings out of lot of love between people.

On a very personal level in my home my part in the effort has been limited to helping sort and pleat each mask -- and then to help with taking care of the grandkids so Sandy and Angie can work. We've had a great time working together. Sandy and Angie have had hours bent over that table and sewing machine, talking and laughing and getting closer.

That's the payoff. It's totally worth it.

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Amazing, Jeff. Absolutely amazing.

As far as in this area, the one need that I see is hope. As a school district, we are trying to provide unique things to make people smile. For example, we had a virtual "Bring Your Pet to School Day" where people just took pics of their pets and posted them on our Facebook page. Tomorrow, it is May 4th....so it is Star Wars Dress-up Day. We aren't getting to have traditional graduations, so we bought banners of our seniors and posted them on the light poles in our town.

Smiling and hope. I didn't realize how important those were until this happened.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Amazing, Jeff. Absolutely amazing.

As far as in this area, the one need that I see is hope. As a school district, we are trying to provide unique things to make people smile. For example, we had a virtual "Bring Your Pet to School Day" where people just took pics of their pets and posted them on our Facebook page. Tomorrow, it is May 4th....so it is Star Wars Dress-up Day. We aren't getting to have traditional graduations, so we bought banners of our seniors and posted them on the light poles in our town.

Smiling and hope. I didn't realize how important those were until this happened.
Yes!

I've not been a huge fan of the school districts in the years of our kids growing up. This is my youngest daughter's senior year -- and the schools have been AMAZING during this thing.

Officially she doesn't graduate until the end of May and our school district is working on SOMETHING for the Seniors. I don't know how other's kids are feeling but mine has been devastated by not having an end to her senior year. I have some friends who work with the schools and I'm hearing it "will be epic".

I've seen them go all out during this thing -- at every level. There have been personal phone calls for my grandson and my daughter from the teachers, the principals, even the office attendance lady. They have had virtual sessions. They have been over backwards to stay in contact.

A crisis can sometimes bring out the best in people.

Reactions: DecemberisComing

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image