Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

How do you say Merry Christmas?

Discussion in 'Christmas Around the World' started by Skippy1707, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Snowman Engineer Merry Forums Member

Hi all
    I have had an idea for my 8 year old for Christmas. She loves learning and the few exchanges we have done from other sides of the world are lovely and she really enjoys seeing what gets sent so I had the idea that alongside her usual advent calendar I would make her a world calendar and in each little pocket include a country and some information about it.

So I would love to know three things.
    1. How do you say Merry Christmas in your language?
    2. What do you call Santa / Father Christmas ec in your language?
    3. Do you have a special tradition / song / dish that is eaten during the festivities?
    (if you could also tell me what language that is that would be great!)

So here is an example of mine
    My native language is Welsh
    1. In Wales we say 'Nadolig Llawen'
    2. Father Christmas is called '
    SiƓn Corn'
    3. A Plygain service from 3am-6am on Christmas morning was once a key festive tradition in 19th century rural Wales. This twilight tradition would involve unaccompanied male voices singing three or four part harmony carols in the local parish chapel as a way to see in the celebrations of Christmas Day. The Plygain tradition still lives on in many areas of Wales.

Thank you so much for any input!
    x

snowflake22 and Lynn68 like this.
  2. Lynn68

Lynn68 Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class MMC Lifer

I was born in Montreal, Quebec Canada (I now live in Calgary). However, my first language is English and second is French.

Merry Christmas in French is Joyeux Noel.

Santa Claus is Pere Noel (which means Father Christmas)

We eat turkey, stuffing, potatoes (usually mashed), cranberry sauce and whatever fixings you like.

Skippy1707 and snowflake22 like this.
  3. WintersElf

WintersElf Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

well i say MERRY CHRISTMAS and have the traditional american fare of Turkey,stiffing mash potatooes and gravy.cranberry sauce..green beans and sweet potatoes with marshmallows and then pumkin pie...also rolls.

Lynn68 and Skippy1707 like this.