Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

How do you say...?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sgrover, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sgrover

sgrover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I know we have international posters on here, so... How do you say Merry Christmas in German or French? My husband works for an international company, and right now they have employees from Germany and France working in his building. He'd like to be able to say Merry Christmas to them in their own language. I'd need not only the spelling, but also try to help me out with the pronunciation, if possible.

Thank you!

2. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

in German it´s

Frohe Weihnachten or Fröhliche Weihnachten

in French it´s

Joeux Noel

3. Maebeary

Maebeary Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

I was going to reply for French. I think trackrebel has a spelling error. I believe it's Joyeux Noel. It starts with a soft J sound. (Joy- o Noel!) I don't remember a lot from my 6 years of French but I recall a little. :razz:

4. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

Thats how they Spell it down the bayou (cajuns Im talking about),With a Y. Hubby was telling me how to say and spell it.

5. kelly ann

kelly ann MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

In wales we say...........NADOLIG LLAWEN.

6. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

The 2nd spelling for Joyeux Noel is correct - the pronunciation is slightly different! I think the best way to do it is phonetically

Ge (as in the the "ge" in Garage) - woi (as in "boy" bit with a w) - uh (as in "uh, don't know!")

Ge-woi-uh (joyeux) noel!!!

:tree:

7. marekkane

marekkane Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Noël.

Don't forget the dots. :)

And hyvää Joulua!

8. kerst

kerst MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

That must be the Canadian version Maureen cheesy

the j is not as in garage but soft. Its like the su sound in "pleaSUre" followed by W, a as in ObamA, (joy) eux sounds like the U in "urn"

so joyeux is SU W A J Urn (oh boy !!!!)

9. kerst

And in Dutch it's VROLIJK KERSTFEEST !

10. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

It's all in the pronunciation of "Garage"!!! The way I say "age" in "garage" is the same as the "su" in "pleasure"

And you're quite right about the dots - I just couldn't get them on my keyboard and didn't head into the character bit on the PC. Call it laziness!!!

:))

11. VeryWelshXmasLover

VeryWelshXmasLover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

NADOLIG LLAWEN here, as Kelly ann said :D

I was going to post with the Joyeux Noel for Merry Christmas is france lol was beaten to it :D

12. sgrover

Thanks everyone! I'll give those to my hubby and let him practice at home before trying it at work, :).

And thanks for those other ones. I remember on the first Christmas site I ever posted on, there was a page with "Merry Christmas" in like, over 100 different languages, it was neat. I miss that. Let's see how many we can get on there though!

13. whychristmas

whychristmas Webmaster Partner, <a href="http://www.whychristma MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member MMC Partner

14. kerst

sorry Maureen, I realized afterwards it was all in "garage" ! Writing phonetically isn't easy it ???

15. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

that pronouncing lecture was really funny girls...:D....I´m trying to find a page where it´s said...so Your husband can hear it from a french guy

16. sgrover

That would be so cool!

17. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Santa's Elf

18. Petronius

Petronius Elf Supervisor Merry Forums Member

The Hungarian equivalent of Merry Christmas is Boldog karacsonyt.

19. Petronius

Petronius Elf Supervisor Merry Forums Member

The Luxembourgish equivalent of Merry Christmas is Schei Chreschtdeeg.