Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

How long do you leave your decorations up!

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Chillywilly, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Chillywilly

Chillywilly MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

How Long do you leave your Decorations up! Do you take them down right after Christmas or in January or after?

2. JanaBanana

JanaBanana *The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Merry Forums Member

1-2 days after Christmas mine come down. But I put mine up a lot earlier then most.... Nov 1st or the first weekend in Nov....

4 people like this.
  3. Head Elf

Head Elf Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

The inside decorations come down after January 6. The outside I take down at the end of January.

2 people like this.
  4. LittleMissLaura

LittleMissLaura Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

after new years :)

2 people like this.
  5. pattyjo

pattyjo Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I take mine down the first week of January, with great sadness...

2 people like this.
  6. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Guest

Ours are up until the Feast of the Epiphany, the recognized end of the Christmas season of the Catholic Church. Although because of an impending move we took ours down just a day after Christmas one year, that was a wierd feeling.

7. Billy Battles

Billy Battles Santa's Doppelganger MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Whenever I get around to it

2 people like this.
  8. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Outdoor decorations come down the first weekend in January that doesn't have rain or snow.
    The indoor decorations come down the same time, only weather isn't an issue there. However, every year there is something I forgot to put away that is decorating the inside of my china cabinet or some other forgotten corner.

2 people like this.
  9. Ali

Ali Holiday Fangirl MMC Lifer

Our decorations go up once Advent arrives and come down New Year's Day or the day after.

2 people like this.
  10. MrsH

MrsH Mistress of Home & Decor MMC Emeritus Member

It depends on what is going on socially for us. If we don't have anyone coming over for Christmas festivities after Christmas is over, we will take them down right after Christmas. If, due to schedule conflicts, we have some ongoing Christmas festivities...then they well stay up longer. Also...if we're feeling especially sad that Christmas is over...we might leave them up longer...or intentionally leave one or two things displayed all year. (Currently we have three Christmas plates displayed)

2 people like this.
  11. Chillywilly

I can understand that. Our decoration that are in the inside come down sooner than the ones on the outside. But like you said it depends on what is going on socially in our home as well. :hello:

2 people like this.
  12. MissKringle

MissKringle Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

we leave them up till any of us feel like lugging the tree out LOL:tree:

2 people like this.
  13. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award

Ours ALWAYS have to be down by Twelfth Night (January 5th) Otherwise it's considered bad luck.:snowball:
    That said, I've still got a Christmas plate up just to test the theory.......

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
    2 people like this.
  14. Head Elf

Head Elf Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I was wondering where we got that tradition in our family. As my father's family is from Scotland. Thanks for solving a mystery for me.
    :hello:

2 people like this.
  15. Chillywilly

It is interesting to see other views and customs around this topic. :tree:

2 people like this.
  16. haagarr

haagarr Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

January or after I TAKE THEM DOWN WHEN MY HUSBAND STARTS BEGGING ME IF IT WAS UP TO ME I LEAVE UP YEAR ROUND

2 people like this.
  17. xlizxfraserx

xlizxfraserx Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

We usualy leave them up until 1 week after new years,i can't imagine celebrating new years without them up

2 people like this.
  18. sugarplum fairy

sugarplum fairy MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

We usually take ours down around the first weekend in January. A few years ago when I had my son, the stayed up until February. I was too busy and too tired to even think about them.cheesy

2 people like this.
  19. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

I put mine up the week after Halloween and then take them down mid-the end of January. I do a lot inside and to me its also my winter display, so I never get sick of it, I love it as long as I can! I could never take them down before New Years, new years is part of it still, liek the song says, We Wish You a Merry Xmas AND a Happy New Year!!!!

:rudolph:

3 people like this.
  20. ChristmasSpirit76

ChristmasSpirit76 Christmas Star MMC Lifer

decorations

:tree:We generally start putting up decorations the week of halloween or the first week in november and we generally have everything down by the end of January give or take a week. This past christmas our tree remained up till May undecorated, only because my dad hurt his back and couldn't bring it down to the basement. He wanted to leave it up for good and decorate it for the seasons but it has fake snow on it plus, i love the anticipation of not seeing it and then bringing it out for the holiday season. If we had a bigger house we wanted to put up our christmas villiage year round and have a christmas room to peak at every now and then cheesy

3 people like this.