Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

How long do you leave your decorations up!

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Chillywilly, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

I normally start around my Birthday,This year though,I think It's gonna be very soon..Just one of those years lol :) Usually take them down after kids go back to school which is so hard .

HollyJolly and snowflake22 like this.
  2. Ron Delaney

Ron Delaney Mistletoe Hanger MMC Lifer

Till Old Christmas Day, never before, for "ALL" of Christmas.

3. kmeyer1313

kmeyer1313 Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Mine are usually up past New Year's Day till whenever I have a day off to start taking them down, usually no later than mid-January...

4. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

I put them up Late November and take them down around the First week of January

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

5. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I usually try to leave them up as long as possible, until either the weather starts taking them out of action or the wife starts threating to take me out of action unless I turn them off or take them down in late January or February.....

I always hope for a snowy January and February, then that way, I have the excuse, "well honey, we might as well light them since its too dangerous to take them down. And besides, don't they look so nice all lit up in the new fallen snow????"! LOL~

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. usafvet

usafvet Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Lifer

I'm actually going to start a little tonight and add more through the next week or so, having it done by the week of Thanksgiving. Sadly, I have a home owner's association and the rule is to have all outdoor Christmas decorations down by the first weekend after New Year's Day. The indoor stuff usually is left up until late Jan or Feb, depending on when we get to it.

7. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota MMC Emeritus Member

Take Them Down?

Seriously, most come down within a week or two into January, but one tree will stay up all year long. The ornaments come off, as does the garland. but the lights remain all year long.
    Besides a nice reminder of the season (and it's reason), it is a lot easier on the eyes at 5AM or 6AM than 60+ watts of white light. :yahoo:

HollyJolly likes this.
  8. Ganon136

Ganon136 Tracking Guru and Christmas Lover Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I keep mine up for a month from the beginning of December until the first or second week of January. Can't leave them up too long or else they make you miss Christmas even more.

9. Solice

Solice Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

At least 13 days after Christmas Eve.. Tradition in Norway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mike24forever

mike24forever Christmas Heart MMC Lifer

Today my wife and I put away some of our Christmas decorations. We put everything up on November 1st, so this little clean ups makes the house feel bigger. We are keeping the Christmas trees, the wreath, the garland and lights up until the new year.

11. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

We will leave ours up until at least the Epiphany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

No set time. Whenever we decide to do it. Will miss seeing it.

2 people like this.
  13. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Usually by Jan 06th. We try to carry on Christmas till New Year's Day. Once Jan 01st comes around, it feels like it is time to move forward with the new year and lay this one to rest. The the decorations seem to sparkle less with each day after Christmas so the time feels right when we do.

I do it across a couple of days. Packing everything away is always a nightmare. It doesn't feel that long ago that I was bringing the boxes down from the loft to begin decorating.

Anyway, we know how quickly a year goes and trust me it won't be long till we are all pulling out those boxes of magic again :)

Hang in there everyone.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  14. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Until my wife starts nagging on me to take them down or turn them off.....

15. DoubleA

DoubleA Next in line to Mr. Claus MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

I have about a week to go, need to organize better this time around.

16. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

This is me!

My husband and I do take the outdoor decorations down on New Years Day since that is about the only time we can do this together. The rest of the stuff, whenever I feel like it and usually just a little bit at a time.

3 people like this.
  17. MerryBells

MerryBells wants turkey! MMC Lifer

It depends on how we feel. Hubby and I were both sick before Christmas, so we might leave them up a bit longer this year, just to enjoy them.

3 people like this.
  18. mike24forever

mike24forever Christmas Heart MMC Lifer

Finished taking all the indoor decorations down today. We have major renovations coming up (new hardwood floors in the entire house and a new kitchen), so we wanted to start organizing the storage in the basement. I'm going to leave the outdoor lights on for a few more weeks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    HollyJolly, Magpie and snowflake22 like this.
  19. DustyMoth

DustyMoth Christmas Fan MMC Premiere Member

We usually keep decorations up until January 7th - 14th.

20. Tim Babb

Tim Babb Twinkle Light Checker MMC Donor MMC Partner MMC Premiere Member Santa's Elf

Last year, I actually took our Christmas lights down on Valentine's Day. I dunno if my wife (MY WIFE!!!) will let me get away with that again this year.

Oh...on the day I took them down, I also put them up in the garage and the backyard. In fact, they're twinkling away at me as I type this.