Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

How long do you leave your decorations up!

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Chillywilly, Aug 21, 2007.

1. JingleBellJames

JingleBellJames Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

I'll pull down the outdoor lights on New Years Day. The tree and other decorations will come down on the 5th Jan. (twelfth day of Christmas). :(

3 people like this.
  2. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Mine usually come down the first weekend after New years.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

4 people like this.
  3. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

I have to say, it did my heart good to read through here and see everyone's traditions. But even better was discovering all the members who I never see in the countdown thread anymore and I thought had left the forums.
    I am happy to know you are still here!
    :???::???::???:
    I promise to get my nose out of countdown from time to time and see what else is going on here and also to get to know the many new members I see listed here.

6 people like this.
  4. Joyfully yours

Joyfully yours MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I'm not taking anything done too soon!

:snowball:
    With all this snow and cold......are you kidding me!
    I have no intention of taking anything down too soon!
    Everything is so cuddly and cozy, I just can't do it!
    I never put up a tree, but I decorate, hope to have pictures available to
    show how I do it!
    So I will take it all down, when I'm ready for it! But some lights stay up all year, because it creates a great ambiance!
    Now anyone want to argue with me?!
    Try it......hahahahaha......
    see you all later.......
    have a great day!

:cry:

5 people like this.
  5. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

My answer is the same as it was back in 2008 - my tree & decs inside will be up until at least Jan 7th. Outside lights may come down sooner, although we have a cold front coming, so maybe hubby will let them up longer. YAY!!!!!!
    :merry:

3 people like this.
  6. Storeytime

Storeytime Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

I got my outside lights up late this year so the show will run every night through the 7th and occasionally after that. I don't know when I'll have time to take them down due to work load.

My wife will probably take inside stuff down the weekend after New Year.

4 people like this.
  7. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

Mine will stay up until at least the Epiphany (January 6), so any day after that, we feel like it and we have time, we'll start! I have lots of winter decorations and snowmen, so they'll stay up until the Easter and spring stuff come out!

4 people like this.
  8. DoubleA

DoubleA Next in line to Mr. Claus MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Ours will also stay up till the 6th of 7th. The place just seems so much happier and prettier when everything is up

4 people like this.
  9. Yuletide Junkie

Yuletide Junkie Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

In theory, the decorations/tree come down this weekend. The outside lights go dark on January 6th, but do not come down until April. The clips are too stiff at 50 degrees F., let alone 11 below zero F.

2 people like this.
  10. jayden28

jayden28 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Mine came down on the 2nd of January and normally go up at the end of november, one whole month of decorations is how I like it otherwise anymore is overkill for me, I found the shorter the time you have them up the more you look forward putting them up the following year.

2 people like this.
  11. MerryBells

MerryBells wants turkey! MMC Lifer

Wait, you mean I'm supposed to take them down?

Just kidding. We took the last of our decorations down last weekend. We like to get them down before Ash Wednesday, but we'll leave them up as long as we can because we enjoy them.

3 people like this.
  12. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

That is awesome!

1 person likes this.
  13. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Our tree was down this past season right after New Years because we went to New York City. I'm hoping this year to put up an artifical tree too and keep that up until the 2nd week of January cheesy

2 people like this.
  14. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Mine go up and come down in a process that lasts a full two months coming and going.
    As for down, the live tree is first, coming down New Year's Day. That is followed by the outdoor light display, then the interior items as I can get to them.

Each year the least used room in my house stays decorated for most, if not all, of the year, giving me a Christmas respite in the middle of hot weather and frazzled emotions. That's where I go to hide, do Christmas planning, watch Christmas movies out of season, etc. The 365 Christmas theme keeps everyone else out so I am left in peace in my happy place!

3 people like this.
  15. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Well, I start the day after Thanksgiving, I traditionally watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, then Charlie Browns Thanksgiving Special and then we watch Miracle on 34th street (B&W version) because in the movie, They celebrate Thanksgiving and also Santa arrives. And then when Santa arrives, we know it's time to start decorating.

I try to leave the tree up until the wife starts complaining (usually by the end of January), then the inside decorations start coming down. I try to leave the outside stuff up until the middle of February and sometimes later if it's snow on the ground. I love the way the Christmas lights look when there is snow on the ground, so festive, so much it makes the nights outside come alive. It sort of fills my soul......

3 people like this.
  16. Johnathan

Johnathan MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I typically decorate the day after Thanksgiving and take down After the 1st. I will however admit that depending on my schedule, I might need to put them up early and take them down late. I do have a curio filled with my favorite ornament collection that is out year round...a little Christmas joy to draw from at any time. :)

2 people like this.
  17. mommyby3

mommyby3 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I start decorating the first weekend in Nov.
    It takes me awhile to get everything done. I will put up 4 full size trees this year plus everything else. As for when I take them down , it depends. Never before New Years day !!! Normally everything is packed away by the end of Jan. I just take my time and enjoy it for a little while longer:)

3 people like this.
  18. Daniel12days

Daniel12days MMC's Animation Historian MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

Well, truth be told, I don't really decorate much. Last time I did, the Peanuts driveway markers got destroyed.

1 person likes this.
  19. NutcrackerGeek

NutcrackerGeek Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

I usually leave mine up until mid-January. I'm usually really reluctant to see them go! And then when I take them down, I usually do it gradually.

20. missiechick

missiechick Will Work for Coffee MMC Lifer

Although I love Christmas and our real tree, my family usually tries to have the tree down by New Year's Eve. Everyone is back to work and school and it feels good to have a clean start on the new year. I like to leave some of our lights up around the house for a few weeks, though.