MMC How Social Media is Killing Christmas Tradition

ElfBot

MMC Newshound
Oct 17, 2005
Social media is killing Christmas. There. I said it. What you are about to read is what they call a rant. It is also harsh truth. Brutal reality. You’ve been warned, snowflakes. As far as Christmas traditions go Christmas cards are not the most traditional thing going. Dating back only to the mid-19th century, Christmas cards emerged as a love child of technology and progress. That is the irony of Christmas cards now. The same thing that created Christmas cards is killing it – if you can indeed call technology progress. Christmas cards were possible thanks to advances in printing.Read more

The post How Social Media is Killing Christmas Tradition appeared first on My Merry Christmas.

Continue reading...

NcGunny

Candycane Wrangler
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 28, 2015
Ny
My phone has taken the place of a laptop or desktop pc, it has replaced a house phone long ago. The way I view it about the "Snowflakes" is this...
Most people that complain about the Snowflakers need look no further than the mirror. Yep, who let their kids sit in front of a tv or PC or video game instead of sending them outside to socialize most of their teenage life. Another big factor is the leftover college professors from the 70's who have a agenda to push on the kids. Just remember all those times it was easier to let them have the phone because you are "So Busy" and we have received what we sowed.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well, that was worth reading and I agree with some of it as I understand it from some friends and co-workers (and strangers at the mall) and disagree with part of it.

I am happy to report that I still send Christmas cards; yes I take the time and make the effort. I don't have social media linked to my iPhone; I use the phone as a phone (WHAT? Yes) and sometimes to help me navigate my way to an unfamiliar stop on the road map so I don't have to worry so much about street signs and guessing how many feet or kilometers I have to go before I make a turn.

I have witnessed the signs of over-use of phones, tablets and gaming devices by children and adults alike to the point that they're missing out on an opportunity to connect with the people who are "PRESENT" in their lives with those that they barely know on the off-chance they'll be an overnight VIRAL social success or beat their sibling with a higher score on a game.

I recall visits with the grandchildren and during the visit, they would be checking their phones or playing games while the adults were conversing. Other times they were playing on their iPads or video games. As absorbed as they appeared to be, it's no different than when we first experienced Atari or black and white TV and the use of the old PCs that were as large as a picture frame. I got "hooked on Christmas forums" much in the same way that they engage in "Super Mario Cart", "Star Wars Wii", status updates, etc.

Flashback to my childhood ... my brothers and I would often watch Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse cartoons or Star Trek until we heard the "dinner bell".

When it was time to sit down as a family to enjoy a meal, we ignored the phone, etc. and made good use of our time together to catch up and be together. It's like that with the grandchildren as well. No phones are allowed during the gift opening either.

Holiday gatherings are somewhat different simply in the types of games we play together; when I was little it was Stratego, Trouble, Battleship or Knock-em-sock-em Robots. We still make time to play outdoors.

I continue to send Christmas cards because I believe they bring smiles to the faces of the recipients. I don't have time to write family updates in them the way I used to when I was in my youth and didn't work or care for ill family members during my "off time". There are only so many hours in a day and I need a few to recharge my internal batteries.

So, while we may think social media is killing the Christmas card tradition, I think it also has to do with time slipping away and for that reason media can help us connect. My parents "Skype" their friends out West and overseas during the holidays.

I like to phone people over the holidays to talk to them to hear each others voices and exchange glad tidings and catch up, but that's with people I won't see and who I miss being with during the holidays and it's in lieu of writing everything down and missing the chance to exchange questions or comments.

When we grew up most of our relatives lived within walking or driving distance from each other so Christmas cards weren't exchanged until the many miles made them necessary.

I don't see anything wrong with sending text messages or ugly Christmas sweater photos to friends and family; making no effort to extend the season's best wishes would certainly put a damper on a traditional feeling.

I guess you could say the Christmas card tradition is declining and I and others like me could be the exception these days, but it's not social media that's to blame; it's TIME.

Extend a greeting to someone you haven't thought about in a few years. Send a card; it's not too late. What could it hurt?

Keep a merry thought in your head,

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Well stated, Auntie ... the trouble comes when the attractions on the phone become more important than the people we reach out to with the phone. For some people, unfortunately, the phone is used as a means of being "somewhere else" than where they are physically present.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well stated, Auntie ... the trouble comes when the attractions on the phone become more important than the people we reach out to with the phone. For some people, unfortunately, the phone is used as a means of being "somewhere else" than where they are physically present.

Yes; I understand that point and I've seen it out and about shopping when a young adult is chatting on the phone instead of conversing with their toddler or preschooler who seems to be just strolling along without dialogue.

When I was visiting my cousins at their camp, there were two young lads upset that the corner store didn't have Wifi. When you're in the wild, the idea is to connect with nature and the people around you; times are changing and there's no stopping it.

I don't see it as the "snowflakes fault"; they're just riding with the times the way my brothers and I did as children, but in a different way.

I recall 3 TVs in our home when some friends only had 1 and quite often we'd be watching different programs or the same ones, but in different spaces of our home.

My grandchildren have limited screen time and always have and the older ones are free to text, etc. as much as they want, but when we're visiting and deep in conversation they are respectful and appreciate our time together.

I'm glad I haven't fallen victim to the "ting" sound of an incoming message in the same way I've grown to be drawn to Christmas chatter throughout the year or I'd never get anything done.

Back to the Christmas card mailing tradition ... About 4 years ago I stopped sending cards to a few relatives and they complained because they always looked forward to receiving them although they never sent me any. I was also the one to phone on Boxing Day and somehow felt like maybe I was the only one working at keeping that relationship and tradition going; their excuse was time.

Reactions: MerryCarey

NcGunny

Candycane Wrangler
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 28, 2015
Ny
It's the parents of the "Snowflakes" fault. The PC, Gaming Console and phone were used to keep the kids entertained in our so called "Busy" life. I let the boys open cards and help me place them inside the envelopes when they are being sent out. Although this year we used the wifes address stickers due to the sheer volume we mailed out.
But it has become a different world with the technology that has overtaken us. I dont think any of us would have foreseen 'today' when we were downloading/uploading at dialup connection speeds from AOL..lol

Reactions: AuntieMistletoeDear

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image