Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Ok, I confess: I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day. Pretty pathetic, I know, for a married man with six daughters to admit.

I just never liked the idea of being compelled to tell my sweetheart (or my little girls) that I love her.

I don't want to be forced to buy jewelry or flowers. I don't want the element of surprise taken from my "I Love Yous".

Also, truth be told, I'm in the candy business. And Valentine's Day is, bar none, the biggest headache of all the holidays.

That's because in our business on Valentine's Day it is dominated by male customers and we are, frankly, sheep and pretty dumb ones at that.

Jeff

M

mammaduke

Last year we didn't have any money so we made up a coupon Book with different things we'd do for each other through out the year. I loved that gift better than any other one I've ever received.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
We've done that before too, to great affect. I enjoy little Valentine's surprises for my girls and we always get a little something for them. But I take my wife out weekly and throughout the year will do little things. She will too. But when it comes to the day itself...we prefer just alone time at home, fixing dinner for each other.

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
I love after valentines clearance candy sales

Michael Rielly

MMC Master of SantaClausology
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
MMC Partner
Aug 25, 2006
Rhode Island
jdrfoundation.org
It sure didn't take long to get the Valentines stuff in the stores. I had to go to the grocery store on New Year's Day and the "seasonal" isle was cleared of Christmas and New Year decorations. Already on the shelves were chocolates, roses, and all sorts of Valentine's items!

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
I hope they were not real roses, they wont make it til feb

On another note do we need one specific day to celebrate our loved ones? Dont we have birthdays & anniversaries & even Christmas for that?

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Funny you mention that...three days before Christmas I was rushing like mad to get stock for my stores and I arranged a rush shipment from SF. When the truck arrived we scrambled to get it all out and the first box I opened was all wrapped in Valentine's and not Christmas wrap. I thought about it for 5 seconds and then thought...who really minds hearts at Christmas?

Fortunately, that was the only box of Valentine's wrap I got. But guess what? It all sold...first. Go figger.

MrsH

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Sunny Florida

Notice how he didn't say that he buys flowers or candy for the wife....just that he loves after valentine clearance candy. Sigh....

MrsH

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Sunny Florida
Muah...I love you honey

MrsH

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Sunny Florida
Um...that would be you honey. I don't think MrsW would appreciate me saying that to her candyguy

JayIsh

MMC Musicmaster, MerryChristmasRadio
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Aug 20, 2006
New Jersey
merrychristmasradio.com
One minute I'm thinking about candy and the next minute I'm watching Jerry Springer!!! What the heck is going on here!!!!

I feel like you do Jeff...Like old man Hallmark said to himself oneday, "Christmas is over...I've gotta find some new way to get people to buy cards...Hmmm...What can I do..." and here we are, running around like lemmings buying things and worrying that our mates won't know we love them if they don't get the right card...foooey...

I love my wife, most of the time she knows it and no card or chocolate is going to change that...by the way...How can I get on the See's candy VIP list???

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
theres a list?

this reminds of the simpsons episode where the card folks invent love day

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
LOL...too funny..you and Mrs. H crack me up...Now go buy that lovely lady some nice stuff...And nothing with a red sticker or slash mark on it...*L

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
how about "irregular"?
those are usually cheap

elfworks

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 5, 2006
texas
jeff, my dearest darling, if all the boys were as groovy as you and told their sweeties regularly, how they felt, then v-day would have never become the commercial lallapalooza that it has become. however, 99.99% of the boys i know, suck at expressing loving sentiment (tho of course, NONE of the members here are included) and need a day where they are pressured into acting romantic!!
:D

xo

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image