Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

In search of: CHRISTMAS NOVELS! ❄️

Discussion in 'Christmas Literature' started by BexiBooWho, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BexiBooWho

BexiBooWho A real life Who! MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

I am on the hunt for Christmas 'fluff' novels. Think like Hallmark-esque stories. It is officially the season where I only want Christmas material. If you have read any wonderfully, merry Christmas literature please share your jolly titles.

I'll start by sharing a memoir I found a couple years back:

"Santa Claus is For Real: A true Christmas fable about the Magic of Believing."
    By: Charles Edward Hall.
    This book is so heartwarming and really instills the importance of BELIEVING in the spirit of the season!
    -season-

snowflake22 and Holiday like this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

This may not be quite what you had in mind, but there are two early-20th-century Christmas books that are in the public domain and are wonderful, well-written stories. Either one, if it were updated, would make a heckuva Hallmark movie! Each is what I would call novelette length.

One is "The Christmas Angel" (1910) by Abbie Farwell Brown. Here's a good summary from the Internet: "Disagreeable old Miss Terry spends her Christmas Eve getting rid of toys from her childhood toy box. One by one she tosses them onto the sidewalk in front of her house, then secretly watches the little scenes that occur, which seem to confirm her belief that true Christmas spirit does not exist. Then the Angel from her childhood Christmas tree appears to show Miss Terry that she has not yet witnessed the final act of each of those little dramas …

Living Age magazine in 1910 observed of The Christmas Angel, "Not since Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever has there been a prettier Christmas story written, one more full of the real spirit of Christmas or conveying a more seasonable lesson."

You can safely read/download the book for free from Project Gutenberg; the link is: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15709

You can also safely stream/download the audiobook from LibriVox; the link is: https://librivox.org/the-christmas-angel-by-abbie-farwell-brown/

The second recommendation is "The Romance of a Christmas Card" (1916) by Kate Douglas Wiggin. (Yes, she wrote some children's books, but this is NOT a children's book.) This one would make a dandy Hallmark movie if anyone ever takes the trouble to update it and write a screenplay. For a small book, the plot is rather complex, but involves two "black sheep" sons from a small town who are drawn back home at Christmastime by a series of events set in motion by a Christmas card each receives. This one is also available on Project Gutenberg; the link is: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17456

I don't know if these antiques would be your cup of tea, but they are two of my all-time favorites, right behind "A Christmas Carol." If you try them, please let me know what you think. I think more people should be reading these two wonderful books!

Kivara, Marshmallow05 and Holiday like this.
  3. BexiBooWho

Those both sound wonderful! Thank you I am excited to read them! (Also. I'm going to need someone from Hallmark to write these as screenplays because both synopses sound like they would be magnificent!)

Kivara, Holiday and MerryCarey like this.
  4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

If you ever get the chance, tell ‘em both books are in the public domain, so they’re free and clear for adaptation!

Don’t forget to post what you think of them.

Holiday likes this.
  5. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I would like to check these out!! :) Thanks Merry!

MerryCarey likes this.
  6. Holiday

It's not Hallmark, but I love to read Skipping Christmas by John Grisham every year - the book which Christmas With The Kranks is based on. Love the book!!! ♥
    Do you like the Chicken Soup books? They have several Christmas books available. Always heart warming!

Marshmallow05 and BexiBooWho like this.
  7. Holiday

I just noticed (& purchased) The Romance of a Christmas Card is available for free on Kindle.

MerryCarey likes this.
  8. MerryCarey

Yes ... I think "The Christmas Angel" is also available.
    I believe Google Books also has free PDF/e-book downloads.

Holiday likes this.
  9. XmasDreams

XmasDreams Rudolph's Groomer Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Holiday and BexiBooWho like this.
  10. BexiBooWho

Yes! I have never read Skipping Christmas but I LOVE Christmas with the Kranks!

Holiday likes this.
  11. auntsis59

auntsis59 Christmas Fan MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

A Heartwarming Christmas: A 12 Story Collection from Heartwarming Christmas Town (Christmas Town 2015) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011M4GQQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rLULBbV9X83Z0

There are several sets of these group stories all set in Christmas Town! They are delightful. It’s the 5th? year of the artists writing these stories...and they aren’t expensive. I’ve read all of them and can’t wait for the release of this year’s set surrounding a carousel! :)

12. holidaycraze12

holidaycraze12 Christmas Fan MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

So if you want hallmark type Christmas stories just read any Christmas books by Debbie Macomber! 5 of her Christmas books became Hallmark movies! My favorite of hers are the Mrs/Mr.Miracle series and also the book 12 Days of Christmas. Also, some of the Hallmark movies are being written in book form! For instance, I bought the Hallmark E-Book Journey Back to Christmas, I still haven't read it yet but I loved the movie and I will read it this year.

13. Marshmallow05

Marshmallow05 Hot chocolate expert MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

Oooh I've been thinking of posting the same question!! I'm looking for some nice Christmas books. Skipping Christmas is also one I read every year. I will be following the answers.. looking forward to some nice ideas :)

14. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer

Holiday likes this.
  15. Holiday

Minta likes this.
  16. Holiday

Wow - I'm going to have to order these!! 12 books for $.99 - how awesome! Thanks!

17. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer

I read the book first and then saw it on the Hallmark channel. Movie is good but the book is better.

Holiday likes this.
  18. Holiday

Thanks for the info!! It always seems like the book is better the movie! But I also thought the movie is great. It will be a "must read!"

Minta likes this.
  19. Holiday

The Christmas Train is another good book turned into movie!

Minta likes this.
  20. BexiBooWho

At Barnes and Noble today I discovered the Mrs. Jeffries mystery series. I didn't purchase any but I did see that there are several Christmas books in that massive series. Has anyone read these and are they any good?