ipod for a 6 yr old?

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Lakes Region,NH
www.facebook.com
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone had a younger child who has an ipod.
My lil girl wants a portable cd player and of course cd's.What I was thinking would it be better to get her an ipod instead.this way she wont scratch or lose her cd's. then I was thinking is this to old for her?

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
actually she might have a better grasp than you cheesy

just teasing

you could get her a small one & a couple cd's to import. Or an itunes giftcard

Janet

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Member
Jul 27, 2008
Pinetop,AZ
Have you checked out the mix max by Disney. They sell them at walmart. That might be a better choice with her only being 6. My 9 yr old loves hers. She got one several yrs ago. Also alot less exspensive if she does break it or lose it somehow.

Annette1990

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 2, 2007
I think it's a great idea. My daughter always seems to scratch up all her cds and dvds too. I actually just got her a Philips MP3 Player for her 7th Birthday(had the party last Saturday). Much less than an Ipod. It does quite a bit. It holds 450 songs, 800 pictures, 4hrs of video clips and it also does voice recordings and also has FM radio. I bought it at Target for like 50-60 bucks.

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com

cipalla

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 10, 2008
PA
My 5 yr old has the disney mix stick too...cars. Got it black friday I think. When he gets older and a little more responsible he will get an ipod. the disney one is a great starter, and you can download music on it or buy the little chips they have with music on them. They can also handle a little bit more of the roughness of a younger child.

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Yup!

My 5 year old was given an MP4 player (IPod knock off) last year at age 4.
She loved it.
All her own movies and music. Took her 5 minutes to figure it out.
She even learned to recharge it via usb on her PC in the family office.
She still uses it today!

Reactions: 1 person

Pumpkin's Mom

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Member
Aug 1, 2008
We bought our DD a disney mixstick. It is basically a mp3 player which you can add a SD card to expand the storage on it. She loves it.

I am a personally a big fan of Sandisk MP3 players instead of ipods. They are cheaper, can record, hold pictures and play FM radio.

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Lakes Region,NH
www.facebook.com
Been looking around for ipods Walmart is cheaper,also looked into mp3 players aswell.they are cheaper than ipods go figure.

girlyfied

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
Oct 5, 2006
For the little ones it's probably better to go with a cheaper Mp3 player. My 6 year old has a Creative Zen Stone Plus. It's tiny. It's pink. No real playlist options, but she really doesn't need them. We download music from Amazon since it's DRM-free or rip CDs. She can listen to Hannah Montana and the Camp Rock soundtrack without problems. (And not drive mom crazy in the process!) Just go to Target or Best Buy and find a cheap one that's relatively easy to use.

wantabe

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Aug 24, 2008
southwest Ga
I am glad you asked this question, my DD is 5 and I was thinking of this for a Christmas gift as well--sounds like it is a good idea after all!

Christmas Snow Angel

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
My oldest daughter received a Nano Ipod for Christmas two years ago. She was 8 at the time and has not put it down since. It was a great gift for her. My youngest daughter would like one now (she is 6) and I have no issues with getting her a smaller cheaper one and then upgrading it when she is older.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Sounds like a good gift. I really like the fact that you can download the music you want her to listen too, puts the parent in more control then the world in control.

Great idea.

melindasue

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 21, 2008
Boston, MA
www.new.facebook.com
These two 7 year old twins I used to babysit for both have ipod shuffles and they love them. They each have a different color and keep them in their little purses! And I just got my Mom one for her birthday, I got her the 500 song one and it was like $70, you could prolly go for the $50 250 song one, thats the one the twins have. Hope I helped!!cheesy

Reactions: 1 person