Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Is there a war on...Happy Holidays?

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Jeff Westover, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Um...yes, there is a War on Happy Holidays.

All over Facebook and Twitter the images that cry "It's Not Happy Holidays! It's Merry Christmas!" are floating all over the place, getting all kinds of folks to click "like".

Seems kind of dumb to me.

No, it seems REALLY dumb to me. Ignorant even.

The War on Happy Holidays must be stopped.

Now.

Someone might get offended.

2. Lacim84

Lacim84 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I've noticed that as well. I use both expressions and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

caninemomssister and snowflake22 like this.
  3. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

I've had two friends each put on a profanity-laced posts on facebook about people saying Happy Holidays & not Merry Christmas.

4. Snow-in-Texas

Snow-in-Texas Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I personally don't mind Happy Holidays, I have a problem with people saying we aren't supposed to say Christmas because we might offend people. For example we can't call it a Christmas Tree, it's a Holiday Tree. The term Happy Holidays has been around long before we got so politically correct.

5. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Well said! I wear a little "Merry Christmas" pin to clue folks in that they can say "Christmas" to me without fear of offense, but I certainly don't object to other holiday greetings. It's nitpicking to insist that there's only one acceptable phrase for wishing someone a happy Christmas season. There's enough stuff to pick a fight about the rest of the year---these folks should get a life and enjoy the holidays! (And allow the rest of us to enjoy them without their hair-splitting.)

6. Murphman

Murphman Santa Beagle MMC Lifer

People have been saying Happy Holidays for a very long time. Well before there was ever any assumed "hidden agenda" associated with it.

HollyJolly, Mimi, DustyMoth and 3 others like this.
  7. DoubleA

DoubleA Next in line to Mr. Claus MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Whatever keeps people in that festive moods works for me. No need to turn it into a battle, although I am a Merry Christmas fan ;)

amypep, HollyJolly, Mimi and 3 others like this.
  8. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

People would be happier if they spent less time on things that really are not that important. Christmas is a holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk see, I actually figured it out.. Thanks Merry!

9. 'Tis the season

'Tis the season Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I usually go with merry Christmas, but I'm more than happy to accept any friendly offer to enjoy anything LOL. I don't see what the big deal is really.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

10. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

Happy Holidays is cool to me...but I hate it when it is used to be politically correct...that is just silly...people should say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays...whatever they feel like....I just dont like this overly political correctes...that´s just silly

11. Santa's Helper

Santa's Helper MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Someone asked me not long ago if I was offended by Happy Holidays. I said no I'm not. What offends me is people being told they can't say Merry Christmas. Or the PC police trying to change anything that mentions or hints at including Christmas. For instance, schools no longer are on Christmas break. It's called winter break. I guess it's just a coincidence that it happens to fall during Christmas. But I will say happy holidays, seasons greetings, merry Christmas or any other festive thing I feel like blurting out. None of that offends me. Just don't tell me I can't say Merry Christmas! What if it offends me that people are offended by saying Merry Christmas and that saying it has to stop? This could go round and round. You can't please everyone.

12. Manda_panda

Manda_panda Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

Your post sums up how I feel. It seems like a war on christmas more than just holidays.

13. SpiritOfXmas

SpiritOfXmas Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

I actually quite like the phrase "Happy Holidays" not that you ever hear it here in Ireland. Political correctness has gone beyond the line of rational thinking these days. Just let folks say what they want to say!

14. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

:whisper: I toss out the odd "Happy Christmas!" just to throw people off now and then. I never had a problem saying, "Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or "best of the season" to folks I hardly know, but because there has been controversy I seem to say "Merry Christmas" more and more so people know I am celebrating Christmas. In fact, I still wish a Merry Christmas or Happy New Year to folks I haven't seen over the holidays until St. Patrick's Day rolls around and then it's just "hi".

This has been one of my most joyous Christmases in a very long time and I think part of it has to do with the community I reside in where the front page of the local paper reads, "MERRY CHRISTMAS" and we hold an annual old-fashioned downtown Christmas walk and light the town Christmas tree in late November.

Cards and gifts hit the store shelves the first week in November and the local Christmas Bazaars and Craft Shows start up the first weekend in November and music is heard in the stores earlier each year or so it seems.

We have a diverse culture in my city of 54,000 people and my only regret is that we are expected to be "politically correct" in my workplace to the extent that the year before last we had a "holiday social" rather than a staff Christmas Party - this year the tickets read, "Christmas Party" and I was delighted.

I don't expect too much debate on the subject in a Christmas forum where folks gather to celebrate Christmas all year.

Naturally we can't grasp where other people are coming from with their wild ideas that we shouldn't call it a Christmas tree - don't get me going on the "holiday tree" thing. :???:

I read somewhere that there were over 2.1 billion people celebrating Christmas and roughly 6 billion people in the world. I don't think it means that the rest of the billions don't celebrate Christmas in some way or call it something else, but to go to extremes to take the word "Christmas" out of everything associated with the merry holiday is ridiculous in my opinion. I have a few friends who celebrate by exchanging Christmas gifts and still enjoy the traditions of their cultures and they aren't at all offended when I extend merry wishes to them.

cheesy To answer the questions, "is there a war on happy holidays"? Sadly there is, but happily it's not going on here.

15. HollyKing

HollyKing Merry Monarch of Yuletide MMC Premiere Member

As a Pagan, I don't care what seasonal greeting you use with me. "Merry Christmas" works with me, or "Merry Yule", "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Kwanzaa", "Joyous Cthultide" or "Happy Flying Spaghetti Monster's Birthday". So long as you're wishing me happiness, it's all good.

16. HollyKing

HollyKing Merry Monarch of Yuletide MMC Premiere Member

And I don't think there's a war on Christmas. I think the problem lies with people who want to pretend that Christmas is the only holiday at this time of year, or that those other holidays are somehow of lesser importance.

Want a nativity scene in the public square? Not a problem, so long as you permit a Yule log, too, or a menorah, or a kinara, or whatever the Flying Spaghetti Monster mandates.... Just don't play favorites and I'm fine.

17. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

Some people (unfortunately in todays world it seems like A LOT of people) like to complain about everything! Seriously...if someone says happy holidays to me I say the same to them. If someone wishes me a Merry Christmas I say the same to them. It doesn't matter. People are wishing me well when they say either. Why do people get offended?

DustyMoth and caninemomssister like this.
  18. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

Most people like to take up the most worthless causes there is,but completely ignore anything that impacts them directly. Schools being a prime example... Its always tortured me that most of the U.S. thinks we went to Kuwait,Iraq,Afghanistan to do the right thing. Are you kidding me?!! If Kuwait and Iraq had no oil we wouldnt have even lifted a finger barely to help out. Afghanistan...why?? Because the whole country sits on more mineral wealth than most countries will ever have and we didnt want the Chinese moving in...
    This was a first hand example I use as a narrative of how people can be ...DUMB..for lack of a better word.
    Some clown says "We cant say Merry Christmas because it might offend religious views of others" Pfftt...you will be offended by me then..lol
    This country was built as a melting pot of religions,ethnicity etc. Schools have become out of control and only want the politically correct stuff of the present time. I soldier on with my Merry Christmas,Happy New Years, Happy Holidays etc.

noodlenoggin likes this.
  19. Winter_Worlock

Winter_Worlock Cryo-Sorcerer MMC Premiere Member

I take well-wishes for what they are, regardless of what god or lack-of-one is involved in it. Nobody should be banning "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," or anything else under the sun. This would be true to the spirit of the First Amendment in the U.S.A. Anything else is meaningless censorship.

Merry Yule, everybody.

caninemomssister and NcGunny like this.
  20. BooksBabiesChristmas

BooksBabiesChristmas Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

I think it's different in terms of casual vs in the workplace. It's insensitive to assume that everyone at your office or everyone you check out at the grocery store celebrates christmas. At work i always said happy holidays, and when I'm just out as me, not employee me, I say merry christmas, unless it's probable that's not their winter holiday (i live in a city with a large number of African people- like going home to Africa to visit mom and dad african. In our city holiday decoration sections go christmas, then kwanzaa, then Chanukah.).

Personally I think the whole holiday tree thing is an internet hoax, because I've never seen it anywhere else except online. Calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree seems like calling a menorah a holiday candelabra- dumb and insulting. Though, the Christmas tree does not have the spiritual significance the menorah does.

HollyJolly likes this.