It's Thanksgiving and i'm losing my mind

Srebak

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Member
Dec 20, 2011
I've always watched television for as long as i can remember. Maybe that wasn't a good thing, but it always accomadated me, if only to a degree. So much so, that, every major holiday, i would watch TV shows and/or movies that related to said holiday. Right now, it's Thanksgiving time, and i'm trying to get into the spirit by watching various shows and movies relating to it. However, in recent years (2009 onwards to be exact), getting into the spirit of the top three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) has gotten harder and harder.

The problem is that whenever i try to think about things relating to the holiday i'm hyped for, i usually think about things from other shows. Under normal circumstances that wouldn't be all that bad, but with me, i tend to remember certain scenes from certain shows and movies and re-imagine them in unpleasant ways, it's driving me nuts.

For example, i'm trying to think about what Thanksgiving is about: being thankful and giving to others, but my mind keeps ruining the mood by reminding me of scenes from shows and movies that show that concepts like kindness and generosity aren't very common in the real world (the latter phrase particularly bothers me when i think about it).

I'm told that all of this excess thinking is just excess energy that needs to be burned off, but i'm really concerned.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Just a suggestion ... put aside the specials and movies for a while, and just concentrate on what the holiday means to YOU. If a scene starts, playing in your head, be the director, and change the scene to reflect what YOU feel about the holiday. Change the scenes instead of letting them change you. Get out and walk around and see the holidays in person, or volunteer. If we let the media change our perceptions of the holidays, we're all in big trouble!

Reactions: 1 person

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Just a suggestion ... put aside the specials and movies for a while, and just concentrate on what the holiday means to YOU. If a scene starts, playing in your head, be the director, and change the scene to reflect what YOU feel about the holiday. Change the scenes instead of letting them change you. Get out and walk around and see the holidays in person, or volunteer. If we let the media change our perceptions of the holidays, we're all in big trouble!

I agree and well said MerryCarey.

Reactions: 1 person

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Instead of think about scenes from shows what about your memories from holidays past?
I have been so busy these past couple months with work, kids and their sporting events/practices that Halloween blew right by me so fast that it didnt even like halloween and now the holidays are fast approaching. Now that the sports/practices are over I am enjoying the down time and just doing simple things and savoring the time. I have simple craft projects for Thanksgiving and Christmas that we will be working on with the kids.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image