Late Thanksgiving

aleighanne

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Aug 21, 2012
Arkansas
Well this year we have a late Thanksgiving in the U.S. In my family we usually start decorating for Christmas the day after. Is anyone else thinking of readjusting their schedule or do you decorate earlier for Christmas? :carve::carve:

Reactions: 9 people

Laney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 20, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
I'll be decorating early this year! We always do our outside lights the first nice weather day in November - we just wait until Thanksgiving to turn them on. But this year, I'll definitely do more than just the outside lights early. Not only because of the late date of Thanksgiving, but also because I'll most likely be having minor surgery right after Thanksgiving and I want to have it all finished before hand.

Reactions: 9 people
B

ballcoach

We talked about this the other day....we always put up decorations like the tree and inside stuff the first weekend of Nov, but we usually don't turn on lights until the night after Thanksgiving. That will probably change...we will turn them on the weekend before Thanksgiving....

Reactions: 10 people

DoubleA

Next in line to Mr. Claus
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Apr 16, 2006
Southern CA
We will be setting up the village earlier, but the inside decorations has to be done the day after. Perhaps we will set up the outside lights earlier then switch them on later, I like that idea.

Reactions: 8 people

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
The only year we decorated early was the year my family came for Thanksgiving in our new house. Otherwise, I always decorate the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I don't think DH would go for doing it a week earlier, but you never know!

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Nope.. We do all of our Christmas Decorating starting the day after Thanksgiving. We decorate for fall, halloween and Thanksgiving and we enjoy those decorations just as much as our Christmas Decorations. Now we may leave our Christmas decorations up a little longer than normal .. we shall see :lol:

judesmama

...Noel, Hilda, and Evan’s mama, too!
MMC Lifer
Jul 8, 2008
Out in the country!
I think we might get our tree the weekend prior, so long as the tree farm is open. I do not enjoy this late Thanksgiving thing! We always put our lights up early in November and we will probably turn them on prior to THanksgiving. It takes me a few days to get everything in order so I will definitely be starting early this year!

BoxerMom

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jul 2, 2012
I cannot believe how late it is this year...I may start some early decorating as well..maybe not the tree but I may have a combo Christmas/fall theme on T-day!

Reactions: 6 people

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Well this year we have a late Thanksgiving in the U.S. In my family we usually start decorating for Christmas the day after. Is anyone else thinking of readjusting their schedule or do you decorate earlier for Christmas? :carve:

Usually when Thanksgiving is late, I start decorating the Thursday before! This year it will depend who is hosting our family's Thanksgiving. If we have it at our house, I will have to wait until after Thanksgiving :-?! My tree takes up too much room for the nearly 50 people who will be at our house & I like to have the house decorated for the Holiday we are celebrating! Soooo... I guess I will have to wait & see! Maybe I need to start a rule that I will only host Thanksgiving the years it's early!! :lol:

Reactions: 4 people

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I think we might get our tree the weekend prior, so long as the tree farm is open. I do not enjoy this late Thanksgiving thing! We always put our lights up early in November and we will probably turn them on prior to THanksgiving. It takes me a few days to get everything in order so I will definitely be starting early this year!

I agree - I don't like the late Thanksgiving either! :-?

I cannot believe how late it is this year...I may start some early decorating as well..maybe not the tree but I may have a combo Christmas/fall theme on T-day!

I feel like we are getting gyped out of a week of our Christmas decorations if we wait until after Thanksgiving! I know I can keep them up later, but it's just not the same! I like having them up through all the anticipation...
:???:

Reactions: 5 people

Yuletide Junkie

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Jan 17, 2008
Minnesota
The outdoor Christmas lights go up in early October, but other than a quick post hung test do not get turned on until Thanksgiving night. That may change this year...However, all other decorations will appear on November 29th.

Reactions: 6 people

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
We just noticed this as well. I have a birthday on the2nd of December usually a week after Thanksgiving, but this year my bd looks like it will bejust a few days after! I think we will still put all our decorations up on the 13th or 14th of November. I like it better though when there is more time in between thanksgiving and Christmas.

Yuletide Junkie

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Jan 17, 2008
Minnesota
We just noticed this as well. I have a birthday on the2nd of December usually a week after Thanksgiving, but this year my bd looks like it will bejust a few days after! I think we will still put all our decorations up on the 13th or 14th of November. I like it better though when there is more time in between thanksgiving and Christmas.

The more days between Thanksgiving and Christmas the better!
Thanksgiving on November 28th is only beat out by the fourth Sunday in Advent falling on Christmas Eve to make the season feel shorter than it already does, in any given year.

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Have to agree...sometimes it does turn into a combo with the decor!
I love harvest decor, but that late Thanksgiving does kind of throw a wrench into things.
Maybe I'll go more by the weather to decide when to flip the switch!

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Have to agree...sometimes it does turn into a combo with the decor!
I love harvest decor, but that late Thanksgiving does kind of throw a wrench into things.
Maybe I'll go more by the weather to decide when to flip the switch!

I also love fall decor. But when considering I put "orange" colors (pumpkins) up in late September, then in October I add more pumpkins (jack-o-lanterns) & ghosts, then in November, taking down the jack o lanters & ghosts, & putting up turkeys & pilgrims... I have had "orange/fall" colors up in the house for almost 2 months, which is longer than my Christmas decs stay up. SO, by Thanksgiving (or sooner), I'm ready for the change over!!!! :tree:

KWasser

MMC Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Thanksgiving's coming late this year?!?

*goes and checks calendar*

Holy cow, NOVEMBER 28TH?!? That is late.

Usually, Christmas decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving, but there are some years where we put up the Christmas decorations the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving. Looks like this'll be one of those years.

EDIT: And I just checked, The Lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree isn't until December 4th this year!!

I know it's still the same number of days in the year, but I can't escape the feeling it's like they're robbing us of valuable Christmas time this year!!

Reactions: 7 people

KWasser

MMC Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Got to looking at this website, which shows what day of the month Thanksgiving has fallen on (or will fall on) between 1990 and 2020.

Apparently it always falls on November 22nd at the earliest and November 28th at the latest. I guess it just feels like Thanksgiving should come between November 22nd to November 25th, any later than that seems...late.

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Hmm, my decorations usually start creeping out the day after thanksgiving and I finish on black friday. I have a feeling that I will be done before then this year.

Ryan

Santa's Mentor
MMC Donor
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 24, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm torn on the late Thanksgiving, whether I like it or not. Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. I know it sounds strange, since I'm a Christmas nut. But, on Christmas day the season is almost over. On Thanksgiving it's in full swing and there's so much anticipation and excitement. Having a late Thanksgiving gives me more time to anticipate the day, once Halloween passes. But, it also means less time in the "official" Christmas season.

I am planning on decorating more this year for Halloween and Thanksgiving, so there will be decorations up. I may savor those decorations and stick with our tradition of putting up the tree the Friday after Thanksgiving, after my wife makes it back from Black Friday shopping.

Reactions: 3 people

xmastidings

North Pole Resident
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Oct 5, 2010
Connecticut
Hmmmm, I did not realize just how late it was this year... Waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate will really make it sort of rushed for me. So, in order to keep the Holiday season as long as possible, I believe that I will start before Thanksgiving this year to decorate...

Reactions: 2 people

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image